MH-XV-MHA-DinoIsland

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

MH-XV-MHA-DinoIsland

Post by EvilGrins »

Multiple times testing this, I now have the theme to Jurassic Park stuck in my head. You're welcome!

In the search for GINORMOUS maps that're ideal for XV, I'm kinda embarrassed to say this one didn't occur to me sooner. The MonsterHunt servers I frequented the most often belonged to KillerBee, and he was a big fan of hard to beat monsters, as I am, and also the Nali Weapons 2 package...
...obviously this was awhile ago, as NW3 wasn't out yet.

This map was the most popular on both of KillerBee's MonsterHunt and Stronger MH servers, more often than not this was what was going on when I popped on... which may've been due to it being the hardest map to beat due to a little snafu.
A massive map, which is kind of an understatement, it's filled with dinosaurs from the Jurassic.u with their healths boosted significantly. It's an ideal map for those that don't like rushers, those player that try to rush to the end of a map by doing only that which is essential to access the exit... which doesn't work so well here as you literally have to kill everything on the map for the exit to open.

Which is why it was so popular on KillerBee's, as players would be blasting NW2's nukes all over trying to find the last remaining dino, which I think THUNDERBOLT deliberately made invisible... and placed in a fairly secure space.

I might never have found it, though techically I didn't, had I not had Nelsona put bot-pathing on the map. At the end all the dinos & monsters were dead but the final dino could not be found; I played with 8 bots. I got out of my vehicle and started hunting on foot and it took about 15 minutes until 1 bot (ironically the one with the Kraven the Hunter skin) found it. Which is why I highly recommend playing with bots, as they can find things a human player will miss.

Dinosaurs dominate the main area of the map, but there's other areas the vehicles cannot go. There's underwater portions of the map with monsters in them, there's a cave network both behind the starting area as well as in a volcano; you're gonna have to deal with not being able to use the tanks & jeeps all the time.
As only the 2nd XV map I've edited that has dinos on it, I must stress again that anyone suggesting the dinos cannot hurt XV does not know what they're talking about. They can if they notice them, and to keep things fair I selected the Xvehicles that they tend to notice most.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ds0hkegj ... Island.zip

You can get Xvehicles here · viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14936 · which you need to make this work!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: MH-XV-MHA-DinoIsland

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, good map for XVehicles this :gj: Lots of places to go and lots to do - the Skaarj Berserkers are a nice surprise as well.
DinoIsle.jpg
Entertaining to watch them attack the dinos should they decide to do so - this one took on half a dozen or so velociraptors and soon polished them off.

No Fix Gun? You could just add the FixGun Mutator (and the XVehicles MH mutator to increase the damage of the Jeep projectiles in particular).

Curious that attempting to rebuild the paths in the map results in the Editor hanging - don't think I have ever come across that before.
EvilGrins wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:36 am ... I must stress again that anyone suggesting the dinos cannot hurt XV does not know what they're talking about. They can if they notice them ...
Whilst I agree that sometimes some dinos (velociraptors in particular) will attack and damage a vehicle, I think it remains true that, on the whole, that they don't tend to notice vehicles and don't attack (or if they do, often don't cause damage). This is not to detract from the value of the map as it is both entertaining and challenging.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:17 pmNo Fix Gun? You could just add the FixGun Mutator (and the XVehicles MH mutator to increase the damage of the Jeep projectiles in particular)
I don't always feel it's necessary for all XV maps, so I'm specific in when I use it. Seen enough Jurassic movies to know that if you allow yourself to be distracted for even a moment, like when repairing, you're dead.

Didn't want to increase the damage they could do, they have enough advantages already.
OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:17 pmCurious that attempting to rebuild the paths in the map results in the Editor hanging - don't think I have ever come across that before.
I'm not much for pathing, as in doing it, but given the sheer size of the map, that looking from one end to another I see visual distortions on the far opposite side, from all the openness... I'm not surprised auto-pathing freaks out.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Paths are screwed up if Editor is "building" them, no worries. XC_PathsWorker "has forgot" as well several paths, they were added later, post main pathing. This is the stage when Editor will ruin them if user has nothing better to do than triggering Editor for a task which it cannot handle.

These were settings used:
DinoIsland_Params.PNG
DinoIsland_Params.PNG (10.25 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Explanations:
- Paths are maximized for any stock creature;
- PlayerStarts are not in account but still in Navigation Chain;
- 600 Scan Range - distance between Nodes for probing possible connections;
- PLimit = Allow maximum 6 paths for a Navigation Node (- leaving free space for future needs);
- BunchSize = Inventories are considered a BUNCH in 8 UU range - number of paths are reduced toward a "bunch".
The rest means user made paths.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:40 pm Paths are screwed up if Editor is "building" them, no worries. XC_PathsWorker "has forgot" as well several paths, they were added later, post main pathing. This is the stage when Editor will ruin them if user has nothing better to do than triggering Editor for a task which it cannot handle.
I see, I thought it might be something like that - I was just looking at adding or moving some inventory around so not a major problem - can always summon what is required.

I stuck the FixGun mutator in - so I can use it should there be a need or opportunity.

Anybody used the Dynomite - curious about how one uses it?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:05 pmAnybody used the Dynomite - curious about how one uses it?
You just run over it, that gets the fuse going.

If targeting someone, run in their direction. Kinda works like kicking it.