Interesting Texture Technique

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Interesting Texture Technique

Post by fudgonaut »

I stumbled across this tutorial which uses Photoshop to merge diffuse + normal + specular maps into one 3D-looking texture.

The tutorial is not worded very well, and produces less than perfect results. But I've played around with the technique and created a workflow that produces better results by using just normal + diffuse maps (the specular maps are way too noisy for low-res games like UT).

For example if we take a couple textures from PhilipK's popular and widely-used texture pack, this is the result:

process.jpg
I've been sythesizing a lot of new textures from from various sources using this method. The results are mixed but in all cases they are way more interesting/convincing textures than we're used to.

So the question is: are there mappers (and texture freaks like myself) who are seriously interested in learning this method? If so, I can put together a photoshop tutorial.

But I don't want to invest the time into making a tutorial if it's not going to yield results (that is, people making new maps with cool textures).
Last edited by fudgonaut on Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Re: Interesting Texture Tutorial

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I would certainly be interested in learning this method with a photoshop tutorial. Anything I have on hand to help me make a great-looking map is always welcome.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

I've created a separate tutorial thread (mods can we make that one sticky?)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

fudgonaut wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:06 pm I've created a separate tutorial thread (mods can we make that one sticky?)
:thuup: