Interesting Texture Technique

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
fudgonaut
Skilled
Personal rank: Easy Target

Interesting Texture Technique

Post by fudgonaut » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:19 pm

I stumbled across this tutorial which uses Photoshop to merge diffuse + normal + specular maps into one 3D-looking texture.

The tutorial is not worded very well, and produces less than perfect results. But I've played around with the technique and created a workflow that produces better results by using just normal + diffuse maps (the specular maps are way too noisy for low-res games like UT).

For example if we take a couple textures from PhilipK's popular and widely-used texture pack, this is the result:

process.jpg
I've been sythesizing a lot of new textures from from various sources using this method. The results are mixed but in all cases they are way more interesting/convincing textures than we're used to.

So the question is: are there mappers (and texture freaks like myself) who are seriously interested in learning this method? If so, I can put together a photoshop tutorial.

But I don't want to invest the time into making a tutorial if it's not going to yield results (that is, people making new maps with cool textures).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fudgonaut on Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Experienced

Re: Interesting Texture Tutorial

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:48 pm

I would certainly be interested in learning this method with a photoshop tutorial. Anything I have on hand to help me make a great-looking map is always welcome.

fudgonaut
Skilled
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:06 pm

I've created a separate tutorial thread (mods can we make that one sticky?)

UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:12 pm

fudgonaut wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:06 pm
I've created a separate tutorial thread (mods can we make that one sticky?)
:thuup: