Static Meshes Request

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Static Meshes Request

Post by fudgonaut » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:22 pm

I've never been successful at modelling or pulling meshes from other Unreal games. Is anybody willing to make (or maybe already has) some simple static meshes that are UV-mapped?
  • Cylinder (for pipes, columns)
  • Curved Cylinders (pipe corners)
  • Sphere (for planets/moons)
The existing UT decorations are less than desirable:
  • The UT pipe has a fat rim at one end like a Super Mario Bros pipe. It doesn't look good if you want a long pipe section.
  • The UT pipe curve is okay, but it would be better to have a couple different radii versions (tight bend, medium bend, large bend)
  • The UT moon badly distorts textures at the poles. It would be great to have a sphere mesh that can use equirectangular textures (like the ones here) without distortion
Does anyone have mesh packages like these that they could share? Or know of specific maps that have these, so I could try extracting them?

(An ideal scenario would be a repository of non-stock mesh packages that mappers can use. Either on one of the existing UT content sites, or I could probably set up a myself if enough people are willing to contribute mesh packages.)

OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Static Meshes Request

Post by OjitroC » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:11 pm

I have a .u file named BetterSphereMesh - no idea if it is UV-mapped as I have no idea what that means nor do I know if it is a better sphere though it looks OK when viewed in UEd's Mesh Browser.
BetterSphereMeshV1.u.zip
I have had a look at most of the .u files with 'mesh' in the name that I have and can't find much else - of course there will be meshes in other .u files but it's really a question of opening some and seeing what's in them.

I think some Bulldozer maps have custom pipes, etc which are presumably meshes so it may be worth checking those out (checked out Anubis Station, Asbestos and Bio Facility .u packages and they have a range of meshes of various 'stuff' - Asbestos has some large pipes and the other two have smaller pipes of a variety of designs plus, as I say, other stuff).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Re: Static Meshes Request

Post by fudgonaut » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:05 am

Great thank you!

I have a skybox for a Phobos remake, which will look hella cool provided Mars isn't just a flat circle.

I will check out those map recommendations for pipes, too.

I should look at the UTR and FoT maps, they are all georgeous and may have orther cool meshes that could be re-purposed (with author permission).