DM-SleepyTown II

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

DM-SleepyTown II

Post by browndl »

I have done an update to T. Ahlén's map SleepyTown. I have added spawn rooms, rooftop access in some areas, decorations, some additional building access, and pickups. I tweaked some of the textures and bot paths and some of the lighting. I also reworked some of the BSP to optimize the map as well as develop a more arena-like area. I think it plays well. I play with translocator on, but if you do not there are jump boot pick-ups dispersed.

Sleepy Town is one of my favorite maps developed by T.Ahlén some 22 years ago. I had recently re-installed UT again just to kill some time and of course wanted to play this map. The idea came to my mind to see if I could liven up the play and maybe expand the arena some, so that is what this is. This is in no way making a statement that the original map was somehow lacking. In fact, I hope to honor T. Ahlén's creation in that maybe some folks will revisit it due to this update.

EDIT: UPDATE 8/18/2022

Link below is to the updated file.
I removed the lone factory texture. Worked much on bot pathing and a couple very minor changes to geometry. I have tried to listen to everyone's wonderful feedback.

Comments are welcome. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wuttp5q41j4l ... I.zip?dl=1

ST2_1.jpg
ST2_2.jpg
ST2_4.jpg
ST2_5.jpg
ST2_6.jpg
ST2_7.jpg
ST2_8.jpg
Last edited by browndl on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Re: DM-SleepyTown II

Post by Whitey »

Nice edit.
Played 2 games, didn't notice any issues running the map.
Played with 8 bots and they seemed to navigate and play the map pretty well.

Nice map to add to the collection. Thanks!
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Used to play Sleepy Town a lot - one of the best of the early 'Real World' maps.

This edit certainly adds a new dimension by opening up the rooftops and facilitating movement around the map so that it can be played in a variety of gameplay modes, including the stealthy 'hunting' style using 'RL' weapons that I favour.

A really nice update :gj:
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

I never played on this map but it looks like a good map for freestyle sniper mod. good job.
thanks. :thuup:
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Thank you everyone, for taking a look. I appreciate your thoughtful responses. I am glad you are finding it a pleasant experience.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I will need more information concerning Factory.utx file. I already have such a file (545 kb CRC-32: e0cd8498) and I think I'll keep my file as long as the map opens without issues.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:33 pm I will need more information concerning Factory.utx file. I already have such a file (545 kb CRC-32: e0cd8498) and I think I'll keep my file as long as the map opens without issues.
I too would keep yours, if the map opens okay.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A note about distribution.
Link has a suffix "dl=0". I'm getting used to get over protocols and editing link with suffix "dl=1". Download starts instantly.

In other hand
Perhaps is good for public gaming after polishing a bit those paths... Story is longer here, but I want to test it more intensive for figuring if there are geometry issues or not. Strange fact: After playing map, instead of restarting it, game sends me to first map from maps list - log file didn't explained me anything, I'll try to investigate what is about in this regard.

Map aspect: Very nice one.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:33 pm I will need more information concerning Factory.utx file.
The file in the download contains HD versions of all the textures in the 'ordinary' Factory.utx. Both versions work OK for me in the map in 469c in the Editor and in-game. The only thing is that just one texture from that package is actually used in the map.

Didn't know about changing the suffix to get instant downloads so that's useful to know :tu:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:18 pm
sektor2111 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:33 pm I will need more information concerning Factory.utx file.
The file in the download contains HD versions of all the textures in the 'ordinary' Factory.utx. Both versions work OK for me in the map in 469c in the Editor and in-game. The only thing is that just one texture from that package is actually used in the map.

Didn't know about changing the suffix to get instant downloads so that's useful to know :tu:
I have been away from the editor for awhile, I will try to address that 'factory' texture. It was not my intention to include the HD textures. Thanks for the in-depth look. I look forward to more comments!

@sektor2111: Thanks for the info about the link, I hope to find a more permanent place to put it for future downloads. I appreciate your willingness to do further testing- especially with the AI.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Hosting is normal to me... but a few time ago when I was downloading something similar I just figured that link was changed with ONE character. Having that in mind, I tried later the same thing ignoring all sort of "spam" information and going directly to the target - it worked, and now it seems to work as well.
See the sample...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqkue6wf6ip9a ... I.zip?dl=1
The only question for me it's how long do these hosting locations are available...
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

DM-SleepyTown is one of my favorite urban-themed maps, I didn't think it could get any better, but you proved it could.
This is one of the best updates of an existing map I've seen, thanks!
:tu:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

JimmyCognitti wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:10 am DM-SleepyTown is one of my favorite urban-themed maps, I didn't think it could get any better, but you proved it could.
This is one of the best updates of an existing map I've seen, thanks!
:tu:
Wow! Thanks for the great compliment.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I tested sektor's new PathsChecker tool on this map and found that there are no routes from any of the PlayerStarts to

Code: Select all

BioAmmo6
BladeHopper0
Miniammo7
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:06 pm I tested sektor's new PathsChecker tool on this map and found that there are no routes from any of the PlayerStarts to

Code: Select all

BioAmmo6
BladeHopper0
Miniammo7
Thanks, I will check it out.

EDIT:

Curious as to why you get that error. I have actually seen bots pick those items up and the paths all seem connected. The attached screen grab shows the three ammo pickups in question.
paths.jpg

Automatically merged

I installed sektor's tool, but I cannot seem to find the log it generates.