Ok all these years, transform permanantly

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Ok all these years, transform permanantly

Post by Red_Fist » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:55 pm

Since we never get simple working DEFINITIVE explanation of the editor.

Here it is, what transform permanently does is reset the scale to all 1's

Made a skybox 8 sided cylinder, used non solids for little rock towers, all the sudden friggen BSP, black wall, messed up.
So I made different sizes of the little tower, the build messed up.

Right after I used transform permanently on those non solids and all issues were fixed, and 100% proven in brush properties they were reset back to a 1.
Also to explain, if you try to re-scale a huge brush it will only go ,so small and stop. If you hit transform you can then continue shrinking it farther since the reference was reset back to one.

I would also say once you mess with a brush and rebuild, transform it before you mess with it again each time you modify it.
Binary Space Partitioning

Buggie
Godlike

Re: Ok all these years, transform permanantly

Post by Buggie » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 pm

"Transform permanently" do... transform permanently. :lol:

It is mean any scale, distort, skew and other stuff applied to brush baked into brush itself.

This can screw texture align. Also this reset rotation, since it too baked in vertices positions.

It is like make photo. You can change settings, change location of shot, maybe change objects positions if can. but after you take shot nothing can be changed separately. For example change angle of photo.

Same here. You can transform brush in different ways and rollback after. but after transform permanent you lost such ability.

Automatically merged

For fix your bug possible be enough:
Polygons - Separate
With rebuild level.

Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Ok all these years, transform permanantly

Post by Red_Fist » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:31 am

No it's not the separate poly thing, in this case. I only use merge as a final build but need to work on it again if it created problems.

I have another one brush terrain I made by terra edit from a bitmap, damn thing has all these squares.
So naturally BSP hols and other things, but not very bad, surprisingly.

What happens is if I permanet transform it, merged or not merged, the problem comes back. If I have a missing poly or somthing but WAS good. It seems to leave it transformed at that point in time after the final build, or as, the final build.

As you say it bakes in the problem, or the fix, merging adds a little other crap, but a map looks much better as merged.

Plus, maybe you might want to monsterize this damn thing for me. I have a mover , as a key, then find them all, maybe 32 keys, to open exit, pretty simple I have the basic actors already. for that idea.

The box map is 12,288 cube, so the friggen bot pathing is going to be terrible, but you are so mean you don't care about the poor blind bots. :P
Binary Space Partitioning