UT99 console exclusive maps sequels

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Aspide
Skilled

UT99 console exclusive maps sequels

Post by Aspide »

The 25th anniversary of UT99 is approaching and this website is planning something big with the 25AC project to celebrate the special occasion, I decided to make some sequels to maps that were exclusive to the console version of UT99, the idea was to make small, simple maps that don't use any custom content to flex my mapping skills, this three maps are the result.

All this maps are part of the 25AC project, however since there is a long time until the project is finished I decided to release them to get feedback and so people can enjoy them, the final version of all this maps will be released with the 25AC project. (the order goes from older to newest map):

1) DOM-Osiris]I[
Screenshot1.jpg
This map is a sequel to DOM-Osiris and DM-DE-Osiris2 both made by Dave Ewing, I love the simplicity beauty of the first Osiris so I made sure to create this level with that in mind. This map has a lot of small corridors so you have to learn to shoot and try to predict where your enemies might come from, also there is a lot of secrets hiding in plain sight. Do not underestimate the Ripper in this map :)
DOM-Osiris]I[.zip
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
2)CTF-Sepulchre][
Screenshot2.jpg
This map is a sequel to CTF-Sepulchre made by Rich 'Akuma' Eastwood, however I'm not the biggest fan of the level because the map is design like a choke point, so one team always gets the advantage (unless you play the map with a small number of players, then the map is ok). I decided to make an open version of the original map, there are multiple ways to get to the base but since the map is open there is no place to hide, the sniper is the most important weapon and therefore a good sniper can make the difference between losing and winning.
CTF-Sepulchre][.zip
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
3)DM-Flux]I[
Screenshot3.jpg
This map is a sequel to DM-Flux and DM-Flux2 both made by Juan Pancho 'XceptOne' Eekels, I like the uniqueness of the original map, however is a little to big for a 1on1 map, so I made a much more smaller and challenging version of the original Flux, I also took some elements from the sequel DM-Flux2 as well but the first one is the biggest source of inspiration, the jump boots are definitively the most important pickup, who uses the jump boots the best wins the match.
DM-Flux]I[.zip
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 29 times
Somewhere in Nevada...
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: UT99 console exclusive maps sequels

Post by OjitroC »

Just had a wander around Sepulchre - nice, basic CTF map :gj:

Had the following in the log
Spoiler
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior0 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayLanded:0033) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Land' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior1 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayLanded:0033) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Land' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior2 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayLanded:0033) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Land' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior3 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayLanded:0033) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Land' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior0 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.TweenToWalking:0031) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior0 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayWalking:002C) LoopAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior1 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.TweenToWalking:0031) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior1 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayWalking:002C) LoopAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior2 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.TweenToWalking:0031) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior2 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayWalking:002C) LoopAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior3 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.TweenToWalking:0031) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior3 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayWalking:002C) LoopAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior0 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.TweenToFighter:0076) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Fighter' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior0 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayTurning:0061) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior1 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.TweenToFighter:0076) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Fighter' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior1 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayTurning:0061) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior2 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.TweenToFighter:0076) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Fighter' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior2 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayTurning:0061) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionMale2'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior3 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.TweenToFighter:0076) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Fighter' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale1'
Log: SkaarjWarrior CTF-Sepulchre][-B1.SkaarjWarrior3 (Function UnrealShare.Skaarj.PlayTurning:0061) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Walk' not found in Mesh 'SelectionFemale1'
Not much you can do about that I suppose?

Note : there is no path from DefencePoint0 though there are paths to it.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

I know what's going on, every map I make has a secret in common and in that secret I add Skaarj Warriors as decorations, I'm going to replace them with another actor to avoid that issue. Also thanks for pointing out the issue with DefencePoint0 in Sepulchre][, since I'm using the 436 editor to make maps I can't see two lines for every connection from navigation points, I can only see one :(

If anyone has more issues (weapon placement, level geometry, bot support, etc) let me know, the maps are still in beta :D
Somewhere in Nevada...
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Aspide, you DID improve Flux!!! This is so much better and interesting. :gj: And the bots really play this one well.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Aspide wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:06 am I add Skaarj Warriors as decorations, I'm going to replace them with another actor to avoid that issue.
:loool: Can't you just add Decorations as Decorations ? Either way "BlockAll" set as decorations with bHidden = False ?
Aspide wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:06 am Also thanks for pointing out the issue with DefencePoint0 in Sepulchre][, since I'm using the 436 editor to make maps I can't see two lines for every connection from navigation points, I can only see one :(
Don't you see that it is almost in Wall ? Look at the other one.

The rest:

Code: Select all

LostData: ________________________________________________________________
LostData: ReachSpecs missing from Paths[0-15] 		= 73.
LostData: ReachSpecs missing from upStreamPaths[0-15] 	= 52.
FixedWithSuccess: ReachSpecs successfully attached 	= 122.
FixFailures: ReachSpecs attaching failures - probably no place = 3.
LostData: ________________________________________________________________
Because it's overcrowded.
This is what it's shown in a random spot.
Apparent_Paths0.PNG
And this is what is being used during run-time...
RealUsedPaths.PNG
And then ? And then you can do these simplified... Random example, delete PathNodes 15, 16 and 17 and "paths undefine" then "paths define" - you won't lose anything. By deleting said nodes, already number of junks is reduced...

Code: Select all

LostData: ReachSpecs missing from Paths[0-15] 		= 41.
LostData: ReachSpecs missing from upStreamPaths[0-15] 	= 31.
FixedWithSuccess: ReachSpecs successfully attached 	= 72.
FixFailures: ReachSpecs attaching failures - probably no place = 0.
72 instead of 122. After cleaning other spots with useless extra-nodes, you might earn something more clean.

Lights problems ?
Why this...
Normal_Light.PNG
instead of this ?
Translucent_Light.PNG
In regard to "animated decorations" your solution makes no sense to me. There can be removed lousy PatrolPoints and added a non static decoration which can be animated with MapGarbage and... animations are held in map even during run-time if said decoration or actor doesn't do anything at this point. You can even see animations right in Editor.

Edit: The door to the "magic room". :?: I don't think a CTFGame with mutator like SmartStockBots allows player to start puzzling a secret which won't be secret after playing map more time and losing score because it looks at walls...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

DOM-Osiris]I[
Certainly picks up the overall feeling and 'vibe' of the original :tu:

A minor point but I wonder if there is any point in having the WarheadLauncher on the roof? Humans won't know it is there unless they look at the map in UEd - bots won't be able to get it as they will die trying. It doesn't really add anything to the map other than a load of additional paths and hence data for no practical benefit?

How does one get to the secret rooms in these maps? I have wandered around a fair bit but haven't found a way other than ghosting.

Update
As far as I can tell, the secret room is accessed by Teleporter0 - this is in a hidden space on the roof but can't be accessed as (a) one only knows it is there by looking at the map in UEd and (b) the roof is a death trap.

I suppose this leads to a more general point about 'secrets' - they will be known to those humans who study maps in the Edtior - they may become known to other humans more by accident than anything else - in a tightly contested DOM game, few people are going to spend the time firing projectiles or tranloc discs at the walls in the hope of finding a hidden 'goody', largely because they won't know they are there and, of course, because they are engaged in battle as it were? A more useful way of doing it perhaps is to make the location of these goodies more obvious and to have them accessed by a 'door' of some kind?

CTF-Sepulchre][
I'm not sure that Mover2 (the door to the teleporter to the secret room) is set up correctly - I can't get it to open no matter what I do, bump it, fire at it, etc (the Mover properties are : InitialState=TiriggerOpenTImed, BumpType=BT_PlayerBump, MoverEncroachType=ME_IgnoreWhenEncroach).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:56 am CTF-Sepulchre][
I'm not sure that Mover2 (the door to the teleporter to the secret room) is set up correctly - I can't get it to open no matter what I do, bump it, fire at it, etc (the Mover properties are : InitialState=TiriggerOpenTImed, BumpType=BT_PlayerBump, MoverEncroachType=ME_IgnoreWhenEncroach).
Nah, it's a Trigger over some Lamp in other side. Mover stays open 5 seconds. In order to open door you have to jump at that Lamp. Admins which are hunting quality are probably looking at maps which they throw in servers and so there won't be too many secrets, more advanced players are just playing for score not for getting nowhere...
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Thanks sektor2111, OjitroC and TankBeef for your feedback, I'm definitely going to fix the issues but I'm going to wait a little so people can find more.
sektor2111 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:10 am Lights problems ?
Why this...
I did that to easily identify light coronas in the editor (I'm using the 436 editor, so I can't see coronas at all, and the texture of the light is very small because of the DrawScale). The Skaarjs will be replaced by a decoration that will loop an animation, also I will try to simplify the pathnodes (I added more pathnodes once I realized the bots of the blue team were always winning)
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:56 am A minor point but I wonder if there is any point in having the WarheadLauncher on the roof? Humans won't know it is there unless they look at the map in UEd - bots won't be able to get it as they will die trying. It doesn't really add anything to the map other than a load of additional paths and hence data for no practical benefit?

How does one get to the secret rooms in these maps? I have wandered around a fair bit but haven't found a way other than ghosting.

Update
As far as I can tell, the secret room is accessed by Teleporter0 - this is in a hidden space on the roof but can't be accessed as (a) one only knows it is there by looking at the map in UEd and (b) the roof is a death trap.

I suppose this leads to a more general point about 'secrets' - they will be known to those humans who study maps in the Edtior - they may become known to other humans more by accident than anything else - in a tightly contested DOM game, few people are going to spend the time firing projectiles or tranloc discs at the walls in the hope of finding a hidden 'goody', largely because they won't know they are there and, of course, because they are engaged in battle as it were? A more useful way of doing it perhaps is to make the location of these goodies more obvious and to have them accessed by a 'door' of some kind?
I added the Redeemer so players are tempted to go to the rooftop to get it, the Redeemer is very useful to get rid of everyone in the center area (since there's too much fighting over there). The secret area in all this maps are very well hidden because they aren't suppose to interfere with the match, in Unreal and UT99 there's plenty of secrets that are so well hidden that the only way to find them is to either ghost or open the map in the editor, but whenever you play a map made by me you will know that there's always one secrets all levels have in common. I even added pathnodes in those secret rooms so bots don't get stuck in the 1 in a million chance they get there. Osiris]I[ is the only one that has powerups that might be difficult to find, but if you play matches with bots eventually you will discover them.
Somewhere in Nevada...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Aspide wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:08 am I added the Redeemer so players are tempted to go to the rooftop to get it, the Redeemer is very useful to get rid of everyone in the center area (since there's too much fighting over there). The secret area in all this maps are very well hidden because they aren't suppose to interfere with the match, in Unreal and UT99 there's plenty of secrets that are so well hidden that the only way to find them is to either ghost or open the map in the editor, but whenever you play a map made by me you will know that there's always one secrets all levels have in common. I even added pathnodes in those secret rooms so bots don't get stuck in the 1 in a million chance they get there. Osiris]I[ is the only one that has powerups that might be difficult to find, but if you play matches with bots eventually you will discover them.
I thought that probably the secret rooms were not really supposed to be found during play. So they are not really an issue unless they have an adverse impact on the gameplay by bots.

I get the thinking behind the Redeemer but, as I say, Players won't know it is there unless they look at the map in the Editor which not everyone does. If it is played on-line then humans certainly won't know it is there and try to find it. Bots may try to get it but the whole of the roof is a 'kill zone' which is evident if one jumps slightly above the level of the highest point of any roof/wall. So I'm not sure that anyone can safely obtain the Redeemer to use in the centre area?

Having used the jump boots several times to try to get the Redeemer, I would suggest lengthening the amount of time one can survive in the Vacuum Zone by 2 or 3 seconds. One can get up there OK but when one jumps down, as you have the jump boots you jump up rather than down thus increasing the time in that 'kill zone' and so die.

Again it's not a big issue unless it has an adverse effect on bots by distracting them or killing too many of them.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Looking lovely! Hope to try it out next weekend.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Osiris is a very well balanced DOM map, it has 3 levels though the control points do not occupy all the levels.
There's a center point inside, while the other 2 are diagonal of each other ouside the building; on opposite ends.
Never got a good shot of the other one, but that one is at the ground level in a nice location.

While its counterpoint on the other side of the building virtually has a level all of its own with easy ramps to access it; good defensive position.
Seemingly, though, the inside control point gets most of the activity.

I'll do reviews for the others, later.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

-DOM-Osiris ]I[ - Quite solid. Nice shadows, layout is pretty good, though not a fan of that one corridor with the body armor, feels a bit like a dead end. Otherwise only real issue is the ceiling of a few corridors being quite low, watch your head! :mrgreen:

-DM-Flux]I[ - If the difficulty slider was set in the completely opposite direction, you'd get this map :mrgreen: Sheeeesh it's tight! Hard to dodge incoming fire for sure. Visually it's nice, though these trims on the doorways could use a little something, maybe connect it at the bottom? :noidea
FluxTrim.jpg
-CTF-Sepulchre][ - Pretty similar feels on this one, nice layout, really like the grass has a little bit of elevation, and the tops of the outside walls are neat. However a few details could still be improved:
- the carpet platforms could be wider, and also better connected (like a little bit of the carpet could extend on the grass)
- the the window textures in the very center room look stretched, might need a less wide brush for those.
- the staircase corridors down to the crypts could use a bit more height
- the elevators could use a bit of speed, for Single player they'd be fine, for multiplayer it's all about action and speed :)
- the outside walls could use a little more detail, an extra trim or two under the carpet platform to hold it maybe?

Had fun with these, gameplay wise they're all quite nice, :gj:
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Thanks EvilGrins and UnrealGGecko for your reviews, I'll denetily take them into account when I release the next beta of these maps
UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:57 pm -DOM-Osiris ]I[ - Quite solid. Nice shadows, layout is pretty good, though not a fan of that one corridor with the body armor, feels a bit like a dead end. Otherwise only real issue is the ceiling of a few corridors being quite low, watch your head! :mrgreen:
The corridor with the body armor isn't a dead end if you use the translocator to go up 8) , also the height of the ceilings was done on purpose so weapons like the Ripper are more deadly.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:57 pm -DM-Flux]I[ - If the difficulty slider was set in the completely opposite direction, you'd get this map :mrgreen: Sheeeesh it's tight! Hard to dodge incoming fire for sure. Visually it's nice, though these trims on the doorways could use a little something, maybe connect it at the bottom? :noidea
Yes this map is tough, it was made as a 1on1 fight (hopefully Rampage from the console version of UT99), I will take a look at those trims.
UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:57 pm -CTF-Sepulchre][ - Pretty similar feels on this one, nice layout, really like the grass has a little bit of elevation, and the tops of the outside walls are neat. However a few details could still be improved:
- the carpet platforms could be wider, and also better connected (like a little bit of the carpet could extend on the grass)
- the the window textures in the very center room look stretched, might need a less wide brush for those.
- the staircase corridors down to the crypts could use a bit more height
- the elevators could use a bit of speed, for Single player they'd be fine, for multiplayer it's all about action and speed :)
- the outside walls could use a little more detail, an extra trim or two under the carpet platform to hold it maybe?
Thanks for all of those, I'll fix those issues, it seems that Sepulchre][ is the one with the biggest issues :tongue: .
Somewhere in Nevada...