Screenshots

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Screenshots

Post by Creavion »

Looks solid - like a typicial DM-Gothic level.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Slave, you are my new hero, that pic looks amazing
Clipboard01.jpg
so am I high or what?
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Slave wrote:Here's some WIP I started today:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6856/maphs.jpg

Lighting is for testing purposes yet. :)
There's never enough good Gothic maps IMO

OOhh....duelling distances AND cover. Sweet! :tu:
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

[youtube]BLE8poYZQIk[/youtube]

Made some progress.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Myth wrote:After a few more new textures, new lights this is how it all looks in software rendering.
clipboard1.jpg
I might look finished but there is still a lot more to do. I'm trying my best to finish it this year.
@papercoffee It just got rounder. :P
And yet another WIP shot. Fighters flying over the arena may not be included in the final release.
Clipboard01.jpg
sage
I had to try out this sexy beast. Here, have a review (do we have a section for these yet? :wink: :wink: ):
CTF-1on100-Joust-2010 by Myth.

Introduction: I'm usually not a very big fan of regular weapons and 1 on 1 ctf, but seeing a couple of screenshots of this map on the ut99.org progress thread I decided to try it out. Despite it's seemingly low poly count, the map stood out with its solid, clean visuals. So, I downloaded it and booted it up in Unreal Tournament against a masterful bot.

Gameplay - 17/20: It took me a couple of seconds before I figured out that players spawn near the enemy flag and have to make their way back home with it. I'm not familiar with any of the 'joust' maps the author drew inspiration from, so this gameplay mechanic was rather surprising. However, after a couple of minutes of playing, it started to make more sense from an 1 on 1 standpoint, and I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I probably would have if it would have followed the classic CTF traditions.
The map is well laid out, giving players plenty of ways to engage the enemy. Z-axis action is also present. Getting around is simple so changing your point of engagement can be done in seconds. Several small ramps give you the ability to confuse and circle around your opponent to attack them from behind.
The author states in the readme that the map is intended to be played any way one wants - either as 1 on 1, or in a huge 20+ spamfest, so Weapon and ammo spawns are plentyful. There are even two redeemers on the map, but neither I or the bot used them too often. In fact, the map would probably be a lot more solid in gameplay sense if it didn't have these redeemers at all, but I guess the author put them there for the sake of fun. There are plenty of armor pickups on the map - a total of 7 including the shield belt in the middle. Health is also plentiful, but most of it is well hidden behind the crates - it took me quite a while before finding them.
The bots seem to work quite decently. They use the impact hammer to jump across the hangars to clear territory quicker and they tend to navigate the map quite well, often surprising you from behind. The only complaint I would have is that they do not always prioritize targets correctly. A couple of times I could make a clean flag run without the bot even trying to grab my flag or shoot me on the way home. This didn't happen often enough to be a game-breaker, though. All in all, bots tend to be good enough to enjoy the map offline, however I suspect it will be times more fun online against human players.

Visuals - 20/20: For an industrial-themed map the visuals come off as very clean and sleek. The textures are clean and original, accompanied by well executed lighting. The lights and the sky have a rather unique looking lighting effects, using a technique I'm not familiar with to simulate light beams and glow effects around lights. Red is clearly predominant in the lighting, but it doesn't seem to be very confusing when it comes to gameplay due to the map's small size.
A lot of emphasis has been put on visual polish. The sky around the level is simple but gorgeous. Every now and then three fighters with nice looking rocket trails and sound effects fly overhead. The visual effect used for the team logos at each base is brilliant, and I applaud the author if that's an original implementation in UT99. Despite the relatively simple geometry, the visuals are well executed and definitely deserve 10 points in my book.

Miscellaneous - 9/10: The performance of the map is great, no noticeable fps drops. On screen polygon count seems to stay under 300 at all times, but the map looks great regardless. The ambient sounds are well executed, especially the jet fighters' sound cue. The music track starts out slow and it takes a while for the beat to pick up and the slow ambient intro doesn't keep up well with the fast-paced combat. Once a beat is introduced, though, the song fits in nicely and blends with the overall atmosphere. All of the custom packages are contained inside the map file itself, making it convenient to add this map to your Unreal Tournament installation.

Overall Score - 46/50

Pros: Excellent visuals and lighting, fast and solid gameplay, good sound effects.
Cons: Bots need additional work, music takes a while to pick up the pace with the gameplay.
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

[youtube]oMlKt9x2q4w[/youtube]

Review + youtube video of your map!
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

This map looks good Madis, i like it. I think it will be much fun playing this online :thuup:
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Shade wrote:This map looks good Madis, i like it. I think it will be much fun playing this online :thuup:
Its BY MYTH shade :tongue:

Anyway, yearh those aircraftes are REALLY a nice eyecatcher. :thuup:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Shade wrote:This map looks good Madis, i like it. I think it will be much fun playing this online :thuup:
Ahaha, that's Myth's work, actually. A video from my own currently in-progress map is two posts above the video of Myth's map. I just felt like writing a review + doing a gameplay video of the map, because I really did enjoy it.

I'm rather curious of how you accomplished that light glow, Myth. Mind sharing some of your secret mapping techniques with me?
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

[did]Madis wrote:A video from my own currently in-progress map is two posts above the video of Myth's map.
Looks like UT Racing.......zoom....
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

@Madis: NR-Huxley looks amazing. ty for the vid and review, I really really appreciate it. I figure i shoud write tutorials about all the mapping techniques I discover but I'm too lazy to do that. I managed to get that glow effect by simply adding some sprites like you see in shadows extension pack. I used Actor>Decoration>UTDecoration>UTFlare (if i got that right) whit custom texture.
@Crev: I worked my ass off to make those aircrafts as perfect as possible. I almost removed it in the end because I almost couldn't replicate it properly.
And one last shot of my funmap before i leave.
watch out here i come !!!!!!
watch out here i come !!!!!!
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

*cough* ... oh, made by myth? :D sorry :oops:
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Bump of great justice. 3 WIP shots of 2 of my upcoming maps. Spoiler/Drool alert.
Attachments
As you can see it's map project new29. Huge air tunnels that affect gameplay. I have to destroy HH3 textures for this.
As you can see it's map project new29. Huge air tunnels that affect gameplay. I have to destroy HH3 textures for this.
This is the WIP skybox for new29. I've got the method, now it needs to be perfectioned. Thanks goes to Aalexanderrr
This is the WIP skybox for new29. I've got the method, now it needs to be perfectioned. Thanks goes to Aalexanderrr
This is new30 actually, there are more deemers than medboxes and a badly remixed music by me.
This is new30 actually, there are more deemers than medboxes and a badly remixed music by me.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

This mountain range thingy looks pretty nice. I guess its just one texture? Because I have something like that in serious sam with "heightmaps" (which are in reality bsp terrains), too.
About to be non-active
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ Myth

What I have to do to make a joust map... This gameplay looks way-out. :rock: