Screenshots

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
jaypeezy
Experienced

Re: Screenshots

Post by jaypeezy »

A little theme I've been trying to improve upon gradually. This would be the second version, I might just go ahead and make a third one now that I've discovered the magic of cube-based geometry. The "Brute Factory:"
In the middle of the map, relatively inaccessible to players/bots - a platform with a rotating ring of portals, which lead to one of four points equidistant from the center corresponding to the color of the portal. The funky-colored tube, thanks to the BlockAll actor, separates players/projectiles from the spawning brutes/skaarj until they (brutes/skaarj) can hit a portal. Gotta keep that node count down any way possible, I guess. Also it looks cool! Notice the door covered in that warning stripes texture...
One of the four platforms, the blue one. So, if a pawn falls on the blue portal, it will end up over here.
Remember that warning stripe-covered door from the first image? There are two buttons like these in the map across from each other diagonally. When pressed, the green changes to red, and that door shuts quickly, trapping whatever pawn might be spawning and pressurizing it. Because it is being pressurized, this counts as a frag for whoever hits the button. Bots know to hit the button as well, using TrapSpringer points to lead them to the buttons. Beside these button stations are just plain vanilla sniping posts.

I don't really plan on releasing these because they're really plain and boring geometry wise and nobody likes that, though I keep the maps that way for a reason.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

After the last map edit I did it was stressed how important it is to get permission from the creator of the maps I edit, which I'm all for it I can find whoever it was. Right off the bat, right from that point, I asked one of the two people in that thread if I could work on one of his.

This one:
https://sites.google.com/site/fragnbrag ... ssimilated

FraGnBraG said it was cool and I'm setting up to do it. My only intention here is to make it into a DM map and re·texture the Borg. Back when he made it, we discussed this months ago when I found out he made the map, I asked why he didn't skin the Borg with Borg skins. He told me he couldn't find any Borg skins.

Over a 5 year stretch, a long time back, I collected 3 different sets of Borg skins (I'm a geek, sue me) and in the Borg tradition I combined the 3 of them, along with making another made from those. Old skins I'd collected I got rid of I "assimilated"...

http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=30703#p30703

...before you ask, I don't think the people that made those skins are still available for asking about them.

Toying with using two sets of Borg skins. For the Borg in the alcoves I'll give them one set, along with different faces, and I'm thinking of adding playerbots so there are Borg on the map who will attack players... I just need to find a way to make the Borg not fight each other, no matter what gametype the map is played in.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You can only hunt so far, but as long as you can credit the original authors anyway, that will do.
I think you need to give them the same "TeamTag" in the pawns properties.

and don't forget to check the textures are using the "LOD" for skins :tu:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

LOD?
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Sorry, that is bad of me. I try to avoid acronyms as it helps avoid confusion.

The "Level Of Detail" setting in the properties of the texture.
It was discussed here (with screenshots)
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34& ... =15#p39193
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Ah... I see.
Peppers
Novice

Post by Peppers »

Hey guys, this is Timekeeper aka 'Peppers'. I haven't been in the UT99 Mapping scene since early 2008 and I decided the other day to dust off my editor and get to work. I'm sure some of you play BT and have in fact played one of my previous maps CTF-BT-TK, it wasn't the greatest map but my new project CTF-BT-TK2 hopefully will bring redemption. Anyways, enough chitchat, here are the first 3 rooms. Pics:

(Decided not to embed due to size)

CTF-BT-TK2

http://imgur.com/a/73qwS

As you can see the map is still in need of much work, Skybox, Overall Lighting Improvement and something to break up the walls from the sky. As always, comments, criticism, advice are always welcome. Thanks for looking.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Peppers wrote: ...(Decided not to embed due to size)...
hmmmm... well 55,36 KB is not that much...

Nice architecture ...somehow I like the dark sky-box.
Peppers
Novice

Post by Peppers »

Haha, seems I messed up with aligning those very outside pieces of the pillars the lead into the arch. And for some reason when I attempted to upload them the original time it was 1900x1200 which wouldn't fit. The images were cut in half.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I like it Peppers... but shouldn't the obelisk not be in the archway? That sort of thing is more a center of the room thing, as archways tend to be a bit narrower. How much walking room is on either side of that thing?
Dr.Flay wrote:You can only hunt so far, but as long as you can credit the original authors anyway, that will do.
I think you need to give them the same "TeamTag" in the pawns properties.
That's gonna take some tracking. I've had these skins, most of them, over a decade, and I didn't pay attention back then to who made what originally.
Peppers
Novice

Post by Peppers »

The map is very large, I want to say the distance between the Obelisk and the outter Arch Base is nearly 256 units. However I could be wrong, I'd need to check (Possibly 128). It's only the spawn room, but I do understand what you're saying.
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

@Peppers
Depends whether you want a choke-point. It is good for an entrance. Easier to defend and ambush from.
I like it where it is. good for a flag-room as well.

@EvilGrins
If you don't have the archived files, no you are unlikely to have the read-me's, unless you installed with UMODs. I which case you will find some in the root UT folder, the Help folder and the UT/System folder.
Other than that, you are going to have to post a list (they not in that skins torrent?) and start DLing :(
On the up-side you'll have a bunch of original skins that can be put into UT-Files etc.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Solid stuff. You can not find something like that that often in todays maps anymore ...
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

I like it, architecturally, but I can't say I'm fond of that lighting.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Simple... but very nice paper ;) not used from you (no offence)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission