Screenshots

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: Screenshots

Post by Metalfist »

Cookies! ^^
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Sinnical wrote:Greetings!

I started a new CTF map recently. Not sure why. Just felt the need to carve away at some BSP. I don't know if I'll finish yet or not. I have a habit of flaking out halfway through. But it's something!
hey welcome to ut99.org forums sinnical :rock: good to see you here - map looks good so far :tu:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Sinnical
Average

Post by Sinnical »

Hey FNB! Good to see a familiar face.

Here's another shot of my map from the inside, since one or two people were curious. Not done yet, but it gives you an idea.

I'm mostly using the Wheel of Time texture pack found in numerous other maps (I pulled mine from DM-Synergy. Was that the first?). I didn't really have a tex pack in mind when I started mapping... so consequently it's been a bit irritating to make the BSP fit the scale/theme of these textures. But I still think it suits the level pretty well.

I am finding that the general "grittiness" of the textures makes nice lighting a little harder to achieve though. I feel like you're more apt to lose a beam of light on the floor or wall, because it all has a bit of a weathered look. Things showed up a lot better when the textures were all that solid, minty green :) I'm not sure if it bothers me enough to look for new textures elsewhere, though.
Attachments
Shot0002.jpg
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

one of the problems with the WoT texture packages is the contrast on the images... many have too much black (which is not a problem for that game because iirc the game is very dark). You might want to try the "Wotabulous" texture pack I used in CTF-CTC-Thadaus (or subsequent DM/DOM maps). This is most of the "good" WoT textures from Anc, Anc2, Anc4, etc etc, which I processed in photoshop to increase white levels... The main reason for doing this is Thadaus was originally an open blue-sky daylight map, and the original WoT textures were waayyy too dark to take any sunlight (for shadow effects etc.) By making all the textures "lighter", lighting is much much easier and when you have darker ambient lighting you can at least see a wall surface rather than just black space!
I still have the UTX available (it's a BIG package, and has all the detail textures assigned) but in my maps the textures are in MyLevel, so you'd have to reassign the detail textures if you export...

Cheers
VatcilliZeitchef
Adept
Personal rank: It's a trap!

Post by VatcilliZeitchef »

FraGnBraG wrote: I still have the UTX available (it's a BIG package, and has all the detail textures assigned) but in my maps the textures are in MyLevel, so you'd have to reassign the detail textures if you export...
You don't have to do this if you MyLevel the textures or assign them to a new pack using the command-line, (Obj load file=Whatever.extension package=MyLevel) right?
Image Kayako's useful Unreal editor Icon Database Image
Sinnical
Average

Post by Sinnical »

FraGnBraG wrote:one of the problems with the WoT texture packages is the contrast on the images... many have too much black (which is not a problem for that game because iirc the game is very dark). . . Thadaus was originally an open blue-sky daylight map, and the original WoT textures were waayyy too dark to take any sunlight (for shadow effects etc.)
It's funny you should mention that. My original plan was to make this a day time map. I think the exterior cuts a nice silhouette that would be wasted on a night time tileset. But yeah, the textures seem to look better at night. I'm tempted to have a go at sunset (get some nice orange-y rays pouring in sideways through the windows) but a lot of my attempts to create a sunlight source are causing the editor to crash :( not a good sign!

I do like the gloomy look inside, though. The lighting in that last SS isn't much to speak of, but done right, I imagine it would look pretty good. I will have a look at the Thadeus tex set though and test it out.

Thanks!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

VatcilliZeitchef wrote:
FraGnBraG wrote: I still have the UTX available (it's a BIG package, and has all the detail textures assigned) but in my maps the textures are in MyLevel, so you'd have to reassign the detail textures if you export...
You don't have to do this if you MyLevel the textures or assign them to a new pack using the command-line, (Obj load file=Whatever.extension package=MyLevel) right?
hmm... not too sure about taking textures _out_ of a MyLevel using "obj load" ... ?
for certain when you add a utx package to MyLevel using "obj load" you get everything in the package, even fire and ice textures iirc...

i sometimes export individual textures (example "export to pcx") or sounds/music modules, but export whole packages? Maybe you'd have to export the whole MyLevel package and rename it? can't remember - Ferali or Jack would know for sure ...

@sinnical, regarding thadaus textures - i can post the utx and demo map if anyone would like to check it out... for mappers, if you've never used WoT textures i would definitly suggest you play with them... They work really well for Ancient/medieval castle/church/temple structures/buildings and many stock sets blend well with them for deco/details (like the NaliCastle, mine, crypt, ancient sets)...

Whenever I get those MH maps finished you'll see exactly what I mean ;)
Of course I'll have to stop playing all these other games first, lol :P

Just let me know if you want me to post WOTabulous demo...

Cheers
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Here are some odd shots from out in space of a UT game running 6 levels simultaneously:

Check out the entire images here: http://www.ecoop.tk/photo/

More info on what I think is going on here: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=199688
blarg
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

huh why would you do that :s?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I did read the thread on BU so far ... right now I can't imagine in what game type this will turn ...but it sounds very interesting.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

papercoffee wrote:I did read the thread on BU so far ... right now I can't imagine in what game type this will turn ...but it sounds very interesting.
Currently it is just DM or TDM gametype. The default UT gametypes really.
Except on 6 maps at once rather than 1.

Only changes I made was to point them at the RA maps, and set bSpawnInTeamArea false for the TDM variant.

Still have no clue at all why or how this gets 6 levels running at once, but I think I can make things work anyway if
I can get teleports or portals added in there somehow. RSL is ok with it, but the bots need a way to jump from
map to map also. They won't use the mutate relocate command.

Seems to work with my Random Spawn Locations mutator, Swarmspawner and My UT Tweak thing.

Try the alpha version I posted in the BU thread.
MetalFist wrote:huh why would you do that :s?
Why would I not do it is the question. 8)
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

MrLoathsome wrote:
papercoffee wrote:I did read the thread on BU so far ... right now I can't imagine in what game type this will turn ...but it sounds very interesting.
Currently it is just DM or TDM gametype. The default UT gametypes really.
Except on 6 maps at once rather than 1.
Technically is this map one level but with 6 separated fighting stages... Or am I wrong?
What's more interesting than this RA map is how did the Liandry map start up and did run simultaneous.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Well, it turns out it is just a RA map.....
I am a dumb guy.

Here is my last post in the BU thread regarding this:
A Dumb Guy wrote:Did I mention that although I have RocketArena installed, I have only
played it once and that was in 2002.

After actually looking at the maps in the RocketArena game, the DM maps I
thought it was throwing into the mix randomly were just RA map sub-levels
that were copies of the default DM maps.

At that point I said DERP loudly, and felt a bit foolish.

However I think I have also figured out what I need to make DM/TDM work
on the RA maps however. And learned something new about maps.

Did I mention that I don't know nothing about no maps?

@Wises. Don't bother making any new maps with sublevels that
are linked by teleports on my account.
In the event that I do get my idea to work, you could start slapping
maps together using a RA map as a template. Any teleports will get
added by the gametype.

I will stop hijacking this thread now as Wormbo and .:..: have already
provided the correct answer long ago.
When/If I get a DM/TDM on RA mod done, I will start a new thread about that.

In any case, those were some cool-ass screenshots eh? :loool:
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

MrLoathsome wrote: In any case, those were some cool-ass screenshots eh? :loool:
:ironic: ...yeah ...haha
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

So I went and made a screenshot of my work-in-progress level using F9 and I got this! It's no fluke and screenshot made with F9 is like this. Annoying but also awesome!