Screenshots

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Diego_HoF
Experienced
Personal rank: HoF Admin

Re: Screenshots

Post by Diego_HoF »

nogardilaref wrote:Diego, it's totally OK to spend more than a few weeks in a map.
Some kinds of maps take months even.

You don't need to quickly assemble the brushes together in a few hours and release whatever you ended up with as fast as you can. Doing it fast doesn't make you better, it only produces rushed things, and rushed is never good.
Take your time to build something, ask questions around if you have doubts in how to do something along the way, but never rush something out.
This also means taking a look at what you just built and iterate on it (make some modifications here and there, add to it, improve it overall, add more details, etc).

A map which takes 10x longer to make ends up being 100x better.
hehe, the preview image give more feedback than i think, the next preview will have differences and for UnrealGecko there will be MORE BOXES, but different this time, also i think i only see this area like a phase one, for this area i want to add a upperfloor area for fights with less cover and more straight areas(with covers).
Later on i will advance more in it(thinking a foundry area nearby or conveyors belt), those will be more phases. Finally maybe i delete the screenshots because i want to keep only screenshots of maps completed and even with 10GBs in Steam, i dont like to fill it(this and any hard drive i use).

Thanks for the advice nogardilaref :)
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Post by XaNKoNII »

Single player map
gonna be my very first :?

OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Don't know if it matters but there are already at least three maps called Frostbite (not SP though).
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

Preview #2 of DM-Diego-Warehouse

This is Phase 1, i want to add other small areas with different factory/warehouse theme(conveyor belts, a load/unload bay and maybe a foundry :p), still need some details and maybe add some panels to cross in the 2nd floor(sniper area) but wanted to share in this state
Last edited by Diego_HoF on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

Nice layout Diego. Reminds me of a popular "counter strike source" map.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} wrote:Nice layout Diego. Reminds me of a popular "counter strike source" map.
Is its name DE-Crates (or Boxes)? As I said, I know a similar map for Counter Strike 1.6.
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

Phase #2 of my map, This is a Load/Unload Area, this gonna be a more open area with truck containers and closed boxes to hide in this area, also access to the second floor via stairs or elevator(if i can figure how to make it work, i know how to use movers), also added corridors in both floors to connect the main warehouse area to here.

Last edited by Diego_HoF on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Hmm, this is how a lot of screenshots looks like in my browser:
DarkSS.jpg
Is the darkness a problem of my equipment? :ironic:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Barbie wrote: Is the darkness a problem of my equipment? :ironic:
Is this a innuendo?

Anyway ...your screenshot doesn't look different to me compared to Diego's. :|
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I have quite a good and bright screen, and they appear very dark to me as well.
Diego is probably just hitting F9 and using the screenshots the game itself generates, which are always generated with brightness at its minimum value.

The only ways that I know around this is to either use an external program, the old PrtScr way (print screen & paste) or to edit the brightness in an image editing program afterwards.
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

nogardilaref wrote:I have quite a good and bright screen, and they appear very dark to me as well.
Diego is probably just hitting F9 and using the screenshots the game itself generates, which are always generated with brightness at its minimum value.

The only ways that I know around this is to either use an external program, the old PrtScr way (print screen & paste) or to edit the brightness in an image editing program afterwards.
Actually No, i have my brightness set to be low and for my screenshot, i use Steam overlay to get the screenshots cause with F9 the files don't work and look bad(black/white and moved picture?)
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I see... probably your screen is 1366x768 or some other weird resolution (which I had too in the past, and many others have as well), and UT has problems in generating .bmp images from resolutions like that (they have to be multiples of 4 iirc).

But yeah, if your brightness is set to low, then probably that means that your overall screen or display settings have their brightness rather high instead.
Regardless, I think you can increase the brightness of the screenshots themselves, either through Steam (idk, never tried) or through an external program.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If we want players interested about our maps by showing screenshots, these have to be eligible. There are free apps for making them more bright. By sharing them this way it creates the feeling about energy saving and using low power lamps. I made some efforts trying to figure what's in those pictures. Seriously, I think GIMP can help in picture editing, and it doesn't take 1 week of work.
You can try that GammaCorrectScreenshots setting from INI related to display used and... if you intend to take screenshots you can switch to a default resolution in game at least temporary 1024×768 and nothing will explode. This is not a hard task after all.
Look at my sample
Untouched - just saved as PNG
[attachment=1]Raw_Untouched.png[/attachment]

And After a Bit of Love
[attachment=0]After_ABitOfLove.png[/attachment]

Perhaps it's pretty much relevant.
Attachments
After_ABitOfLove.png
Raw_Untouched.png
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

Phase #2 of Warehouse Completed :D , with better lightning and other stuff

Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Is reminding me of Quake2 (which I like)
Binary Space Partitioning