Screenshots

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Screenshots

Post by Creavion »

Dont worry, I can understand you both. I think it is a good thing he tries to finish his old stuff from former times, instead to delete it, because he has gotten better the past years (for sure). I only tried to say that most do not care about visual quality these days anymore anyway (for old games like UT). This applies to the most, since most are gone anyway, being called "graphics whores" as you might know. The remaining ones however "love" ugly simple cube maps (GAMEPLAY FOREVER) and think you can not balance both with gameplay and graphics. And if you can do that, they start bitching around with crap like "map too big, I am leaving, kthxbye". For me it is useless these days to push others to their limit, if I comment their maps. If I would take ANY posted user map to pieces... jesus christ. Not even considering at a certain point you have to differ between criticism and personal taste. The "level" of average visual quality of maps is sunken the past years, since most stopped dealing with the limits of UT by leaving and taking better game engines (applies again to the most, not to all...).

@highres texture packs: They get usually done afterwards, ... like for games like Doom, Quake... it must be worth it (since most do no even care about high quality packs, so people would not enjoy your work with the quality as which it is meant to get played in the first place or they cause some kind of online/multiplayer problems...). Also if you create a texture of 1024² for example ... and you say: Yearh folks, thats the highres version, I just have to resize the texture for the shitty old low quality edition. This is nearly scam and BS. In that case you can just take the original texture resolution. I mean, why sticking to 256² textures? Because the old d3d render says so? Lust but not least: I am not interested to download a highres texture pack from which is already known, it is only used in one map. This is worthy for Unreal and UT stock texture packages but not really for custom content and these days nobody should have a 40 GB HDD anymore.

Edit: Forgot the most important thing: You can not "compile" a highres texture package by yourself (they dont even get imported into the UnrealEd, I bet you didnt know), fun ... seriously, this is just not worth the trouble, really not.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

An edit of a map I've only done little things to for several months...
...MH-2ndTry[EG]

No worries, asked if anyone knew who made the original (MH-FirstTry[SPG]) and the guy found me on DestinationUnreal. He said I can do anything I want with the map and has offered to help if I get stumped.

Linkage · http://www.destinationunreal.com/module ... =7323#7323

This map is also why I started this thread · http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3984
Real life has prevented me from fully exploring that just yet though. Stupid need to make money! :ironic:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:Stupid need to make money! :ironic:
This is debatable.

What bothers me are your "edits" of already existing maps...
You did edit this map ...ok ...but what did you edit and where are the screenshots of your work?
I see only a big cube with many pawns and bots. Where is the map, where is your WIP??
niX wrote:Post screenshots of your Work In Progress in this thread!
/me waits to see some screenshots :mrgreen:
Please refrain from your spam like posting behavior and show us what you exactly did.
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

just grab some tutorials , follow them in the weekend.
and you will be making your own cube maps in no time :D
if you have any questions post them here on the forum, there are a lot of mapper here that can help you with ued trouble.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Rakiayn wrote:just grab some tutorials , follow them in the weekend.
if you have any questions post them here on the forum, there are a lot of mapper here that can help you with ued trouble.
If they want to help...
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

More like during the week. I work weekends.
papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:Stupid need to make money! :ironic:
This is debatable.
Not really. I do kinda need money for things.
papercoffee wrote:What bothers me are your "edits" of already existing maps...
You did edit this map ...ok ...but what did you edit and where are the screenshots of your work?
I see only a big cube with many pawns and bots. Where is the map, where is your WIP??
Similar to the linked post, the one where i show I finally got the map's original author's opinion, there's an identical thread on this forum from WAY back when I first started poking at this map. I didn't really put much of anything in this thread at the time, as I'm usually tinkering with like 3 or 4 maps at once so there's not a steady progression if WIP (work in progress). More like MAAGSP (moving at a grindingly slow pace).

The original thread is here · http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3547

I suppose further updates I could do in this thread, or there if you prefer. I did a bunch of initial stuff, after playing around with the map for a few weeks, before i made the initial thread. Since then I've been more playing the map, haven't beaten it once, and only slightly tinkering.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

GenMoKai wrote:
If they want to help...
Ha, you know that all is too "technical" anyway. :tongue:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I haven't made enough changes that this is inaccurate.

MH-FirstTry[SPG]/MH-2ndTry[EG] is a 16 room map, 2 levels with 8 rooms apiece, connected to a much lager 17th room where the bosses and the exit is. Each room has different monsters, minus the starting room which has a bunch of mega-healths, very few normal weapons to use on the map, and some form of variant redeemer.

The 1st level has two classes of Gasbags, one's called a Defendor. Brutes, Pupae/swapped them for Predators, Krall, Tentacles with unbelievable firepower, and mini-Warlords with a devestating attack. 2nd level is a bunch of the normal powerful creatures: Warlords, Queens, several kinds of Titans, and a bunch of the more normal sized easier to fight ones: Skaarj, Mercs, Slith, Flies, Mantas, etc.

1st level has creature factories with an unholy amount of production potential, 2nd level does not.

Boss room has 4 Mega-sized SkaarjAssassins with an attack so powerful you're barely in there the first few times before you're dead. Health amped up they can take several direct hits from the Ultima-Protos gun from NW2.

I've been trying to swap some monsters to make it a bit more challenging. The place I most often see this map online is on one of KillerBee's servers, which uses the NW2 package. The map is challenging but with that package fairly easy to beat. Though I don't use those weapons at home so much, I'm trying to make the map more challenging for someone who may be using those weapons.

Trick is not swapping too much and not putting in monsters that're too powerful.

Swapped the Predators for the Pupae as they're much faster and a lot more lethal. That and some basic weapons swaps because the ones that originally come with the default map just suck... at least for that kind of map setup.

Haven't messed with the bosses on the map because I don't wanna screw up the exit setup; not one of my strengths.

That's about where I'm at now... oh, and it has virtually no bot pathing. They don't stray much out of the first room.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

And the next step is to make an own map ...something with a little bit more effort than only some cubic rooms filled up with monster pawns.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Screenshots01.jpg
Hint: At a later point of the development the "in detail" dev thread will be made public, which so far is only (supposed to be) visible for a few selected users
About to be non-active
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

:shock: great shot ...I like the ruin on the right.
also made in 3DsMax?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

papercoffee wrote::shock: great shot ...I like the ruin on the right.
also made in 3DsMax?
No, UnrealEd - 2D Shape Editor. See dev thread!
About to be non-active
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

Where is the dev thread
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Isotoxin wrote:Where is the dev thread
*caught*
Hint: At a later point of the development the "in detail" dev thread will be made public, which so far is only (supposed to be) visible for a few selected users
I mean, I am not going to start to bump my dev map in every possible situation for every possible tiny detail. I know there are people around here who would do that, but I am not one of them. If the map has reached a certain progress, the last updates would not let people turning crazy for the remaining wait time.
About to be non-active
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

and why aint i selected!!