CTF-InversalStation

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

CTF-InversalStation

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, to take a little break from coding, I did a little SLV/RX/NX map.
I hope now both visuals and gameplay are balanced for the gametype.

Client/Server Install: http://files.filefront.com/CTF+Inversal ... einfo.html

Server redirect uz: http://files.filefront.com/CTF+Inversal ... einfo.html

And some screens from the actual map:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Enjoy
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: CTF-InversalStation

Post by Creavion »

The progress in your mappingskills is clearly visible, but I could not resist :tongue:
FeraliShot1.jpg
FeraliShot2.jpg
FeraliShot3.jpg
FeraliShot4.jpg
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Gameplaywise it's still a simple S curve + a tunnel. The inversion effect is totally fake. There are some maps that do it very well, but yours is always on the same XY plane.
Be careful whit meshes. Some meshes don't fit well. Those HUGE cables on the 1st shot look really awesome. That fuel tank-like thing on that transportation device looks a little out of place.
All those freakin lil red lights on the middle of a flat wall look like a dead flies on a clean window.
Light also seems to come from nowhere... a 1mm diameter LED can't light up the whole room.
There is also the case of too many and strong coronas. Even if it's meant to reduce your visibility on computers that display coronas, they look ugly.
The lava cave looks really bad...
And don't listen to Creavion, you need even less detail on walls.

Well, keep mapping, there is no reason to stop :D
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Unlike a dumbass like you Ferali is interested to make progress with mapping and he makes clearly visible progress, unlike you with your ugly cube maps.

You should not try to mess around with me. I don`t suggest it.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Also, Ferali, there are some really ugly seams on screenshot #3. Meshes intersecting whit BSP usually end up like that. Next time cover those up whit trims or shadows. (or maybe another mesh)
Creavion wrote:You should not try to mess around with me. I don`t suggest it.
And I'd really like to know what gives you the right to mess around whit me. You've passed the forum rules quite a few times just to try to get me pissed off. Like in your last post. I really think that that is an insult. And we all know that it's not the first time.
House Rules wrote:1. Be kind to each other, because this is a support and community forum and no flame-forum. Insulting statements are unwanted in any case. Asssure that discussions are always led objective and do not end in a personal battle. Resolve issues outside the board or consult a moderator.
If I was Shade you'd already be stripped of your administrative rights.

Also, I believe that Ferali can decide for himself.

Ok, now go on, edit these posts, lock the thread, and ban me while you still can.
Also, have a nice day.
FrozenDozer
Average
Personal rank: TS Addict

Post by FrozenDozer »

Myth wrote:And don't listen to Creavion, you need even less detail on walls.
Less detail on the walls? Moron... For that, you should be shot per court order. Srsly, Noone expect you likes that "OMG OMG OMG POLYS SHOULD I PUKE!" slipslop. I guess your PC's just that bad that you cant play highPoly maps.
Signatures are overrated...
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

Myth wrote:And don't listen to Creavion, you need even less detail on walls.
Are you serious? Well, with certain style - yes , it could work but definitely not with this one.

@ Ferali : Wow you have been busy. That is really great improvement over your older work. I will DL the map and check it out and shoot some suggestions out :tongue:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, first off, no discussions in MY thread. Solve those by PMs, or punches and slingshots, I don't f*cking care.

Now, about the map:
I apreciate ALL of your tips, opinions and such, but of course there are things I disagree with you, others I agree, and others that I already knew about and didn't for a reason.
My main focus in this map was trying to make a perfectly playable CTF Rocket-X map, with BSP stability, very good performance and just a few details as a final touch.
In my opinion about my own map:
- I really like what I did in the shot number 1 - the hall. What Creavion sugested, I never thought, but they are indeed good sugestions for details, however the cables are exacty how I wanted, but the rest of the tips are very good tips.
- About the lava tunnel - shot 2: I didn't like the tunnel as well. I really wanted to make it more cave like, and I wanted to fill the end with volumetric lighting (not very dense, but dense enough to make a good effect. I was about to add custom rocks, and other lava environment deco as well. The only reasons I kept it like that were: I wanted full BSP stability, since RX games are very sensitive to those, and I didn't add any deco afterwards since that would rise the total filesize too much, and that's one of reasons that some maps aren't played much in the servers, so I had to keep the filesize as low as possible.
- The shot number 5, the rail station (kinda), I didn't like how it turned out as well, mostly how I ended it, believe me. I could add a bit more semi-solid BSP details, that fully agree and I didn't see that, even because I wanted to finish this map ASAP, since I have other projects to finish very soon to progress with other further projects.
- About the base textures, this may sound a bit weird to you, but I like to use them in a lot of occasions. In the case of the railing, you see most walls and ceilings with base textures, and I liked how they looked in that environment. I didn't add any more complex or proper ceiling textures because I didn't like how it would turn, it's really my view of things, the better word would be "style". Because I really don't like maps that overuse textures other than not-base ones, it makes the maps more eyes hurting (not in bad way, they look good, but for me in a action situation, I simply don't like. By another side, since it was a simple railing, I thought a simple concrete (or similar material) ceiling and caves would fit somehow.
- I was about to add pilars in the rail tunnels indeed as well (not the lights supports, since I didn't think about them with those lights style). But again, I didn't want to overload the map for the gametype. I had to keep it as simple as possible.
- About the S + tunnel gameplay: this is a RX map, period. Not much to say. Most played maps are a simple | or O form, tunnels over tunnels. This is for a very simple, yet good RX gameplay.
- The inversal effect, it's 80% like I wanted it to be. All I wanted was to see the base backwards, nothing more. I was about to add a circular portal effect, together with some effects from my own. Something I wanted to add was some meshes to fit the lasers, because currently the lasers come from nowhere, a big mistake from me. About other maps having this effect done better, I don't see how honestly. I really wanted it fully backwards. If you're talking about that stairs one, well, in this one the effect is different. So I guess that a matter of opinion, because I don't see how "fake" this is, really, it's simply a warp zone to give the backwards effect, nothing more, so I guess there's nothing fake about it.
- About the meshes, the only mistake I made was in the shot 3. Now looking closelly I made the big mistake of having the a cable intersecting a tube, very bad, I know. But about not fitting, they fit for me. What I think, is that most mappers come to a time that they don't see a world, they see BSP, lights, textures and meshes, and forget the player side. Well, this fitting thing in my map case is a matter of opinion to me. There is some errors, I know, but about most of them fitting or not, for me they fit. In the transportation it fits, since the fuel is there, maybe because it looks it was sink, for me it looks part of the entire design. The cables intersecting the BSP, for me they are just seperate cables digged out when the rails where built. In the end, there are errors, but they all fit in my honest opinion.
- About the lighting, they are all correct. You see, there isn't any 1mm leds in my map, they are really 5 cm lights, and I all my lighting comes from sources. The red lights don't cover the entire map, they only cover the very dark areas where they are placed. The other red light in the floor comes from the red fluids and cables (the cables don't give any light in the ued, but let's say they contribute too). The rest of the entire base is lit up from those big ass lights over there, so they have very bright coronas, just think about a stadium light style (idk how is it called in english). The halls are self-explantory in lighting, and the rest I think so as well. So, in my opinion, not light flaws, I was very carefull with that, and by another hand, no RX player wants to play in a very dark map, so I had to light it up properlly, so the reason of the big ass lights: they look right and fullfill a RX player needs in a RX map style.
- About the hall coronas, yes, I agree they start to look quite bad at high distances, being too overbright. The problem is, I wanted they to be noticeable at close range, so I had to make them bigger. I would code custom coronas to be able to have a minimum drawscale, but that's something I will only going to do in my sp project, in this one, or they right at distance and not noticeable at close range, or they are noticeable at close range and go over damn birght at distance. That's why I even told RX players to turn off coronas if they don't like the overbrightness of the coronas (some of them always had them turned off due to some other maps).

Now, I have no time to improve my map (since other projects are waiting for me to be finished, being the xpickups 1 of the 3 of them).
But, keep giving good tips, because as you see I might not improve the map itself now, but with those tips and corrections, my next map will be better for sure, that's only a matter of dedication and evolution, I guess (since I do not map much, but when I map, I try to improve and aplly what I learned with you and with other tutorials tips, and try to not make the same mistakes, but as you may also see, there are things I don't agree either, since some are just my style of things).

So, thanks all for the honest criticism, I really apreciated, and keep giving it if necessary.