Texture Scaling in Skybox

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Anderson
Average

Texture Scaling in Skybox

Post by Anderson »

Just curious on how come when you have textures in a skybox, when you try to scale them down small, they get screwed up and distorted. i have a map supposed to be in the water, after some failed ideas i just put the floor of the cube containing the playable area and turned it into fake backdrop of the skyboxes water texture. i cant scale it small enough to make it look good.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Texture Scaling in Skybox

Post by Myth »

It's just an unrealengine 1 bug. The software renderer usually screws up textures scaled down much. Textures that are scaled down 100 times also have 100 times bigger lightmap, and that screws up everything no matter what renderer you use.
You either don't scale down the texture too much (scaling up the whole skybox can also help), or change the texture's drawscale property. I recommend both, and setting low and high shadow quality on the surface.
Anderson
Average

Post by Anderson »

ahh, alright thanks myth, after i couldnt scale is lower, i just went and found another texture to use.

I guess i might as well shoot my next problem, im getting a large random collision in my map, nothing shows in the editor as in a brush or anything, but in game theres a mysterious collision. im thinking it has something to do with maybe to many meshes intersecting my brushes(maybe?) because an actor keeps disappearing and i cant make it show up and it was making a different collision in my map, than when i delete it, i get another random collision.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

That's usually because some BSP holes.
Its always been a problem when you map in UED2.
Just make sure that every brush is organised, aligned, transformed permanently, and read the following article.
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:BSP_Hole

If you're sure that that isn't the problem then maybe some meshes have huge collision cylinders.
Anderson
Average

Post by Anderson »

I've found whats causing this invisible wall, its due to one of my torch things, which consists of a Scounce(gold deco mesh) and a volumetric sheet. when i try to put the Sounce there, the invisible wall is created and the Scounce wont show up in the map, and disappears after a rebuild. I take it theres a limit on how many of the deco you can put into a map? what could i do?

Edit: I decided i just had to make a torch out of brushes so that solved the problem it seems.
Anderson
Average

Post by Anderson »

alright, finally fixed them, some were caused for some reason from those decos, than i got more from semisolid brushes. Its nearly finished now, the only problem is i cant add sounds, i broke my soundcard, i guess i just have to release it without sound :( would someone be willing to add some sound? i would really appreciate it, i like how this map turned out but it wont be complete unless i can get some sound.
Attachments
CTF-(SDA)-Island.zip
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
Island2.jpg
Island1.jpg
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Added some sounds. Check your PM.
Torchfire; mild wind; ocean sounds; low drumsounds at flagbases; triggered sound effect when you step on grates.
Music: Enigma.umx

Everything sounds very smooth and ambient. Gunshots aren't covered by intense and annoying wind sounds.
Anderson
Average

Post by Anderson »

awesome man! thank you very much! I wont be able to hear it for awhile either, but i trust its good =)