WIP - SLV Map

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

WIP - SLV Map

Post by [did]Madis »

Creavion wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:
Creavion wrote:You're a great mapper to me, but please, just look at every gametype best maps, and you will see that even plain maps are great.
I am really sorry to say but even if I would make a funmap or instagib.. or a Monsterhunt map.. the visual aspects are very important to me. A minimum of graphics and details is a prerequisite.
I dont want to make compromise, it should be possible to juggle gameplay and graphics anywise.

I started to map for UT99 exclusively for the SLV mod. I've been into SLV for more than 5 years now, and I started practicing UED a little longer than a year ago. Sure, SLV, like RX I presume, requires quite low-detail maps because SLV is a mod that tends to lag a lot on even high end machines when the visible node count goes over 500-1000. At first that meant that I didn't have to put too much stress on the visual quality of my maps, but as I got more experience in UED I started to feel bad because the gametype I prefer limits the detail I can put into the game. I'd map for normal weapons or other mods, but since there isn't a site like NaliCity around anywhere where I'd really get some constructive criticism and look at others' maps, etc., I just have to make due without it.

However, I always do my best to make all my SLV maps as visually pleasing as possible. I know I'm an amateur and the gametype I prefer requires relatively simple, open-spaced and largely detail-less maps, but I still do whatever's possible to make my work look as pleasing to the eye as possible.

work-in-progress rom the ut-slv.com strangelove community mappack, but I believe that for the low amount of detail as possible I still managed to make it look decent. Or what do you think?
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Are you a mapper? Then read this!

Post by Creavion »

From the architecture it looks very ok, I would only trim the walkway-cross part in the middle.

Lighting is only testlighting so far?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Creavion wrote:From the architecture it looks very ok, I would only trim the walkway-cross part in the middle.

Lighting is only testlighting so far?
Yeah, the lights are temporary. I know the screenshot lacks some serious trims and stuff, but I really rushed the map for an online betatest. Currently only the middle room is textured and not entirely trimmed.

I've been trying to compensate between SLV and normal weapons recently. Just to make a map that plays good with both. When SLV started, we rotated custom normal-weapon oriented maps on the servers and some of them still surpass some of the ugly subtracted-cube maps that are retardedly popular for SLV in gameplay terms. So, I've been trying to reach a good compromise between the mods so that I could release my map for the SLV community, but also release it for normal weapons and get some good constructive criticism, and from that, improve my actual skills.

The very reason why I took up mapping was that over the years, custom better-looking maps on the servers started to disappear and getting replaced with junk that's made up of a few subtracted cubes and a few lights with weapons and pickups just thrown in. I don't care if it has good gameplay (which I also often disagree upon when looking at the ugly SLV maps) - if it really has a good gameplay, take the floorplan and build some visual quality around it.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

[did]Madis wrote:I don't care if it has good gameplay (which I also often disagree upon when looking at the ugly SLV maps) - if it really has a good gameplay, take the floorplan and build some visual quality around it.
I have been down that road before. However, if you need some ideas for your bigger wall areas

What about something like that? From Deck 17
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

This is going a bit off-topic, but yeah, I will be putting more detail into the map, but we're betatesting most of the SLV maps we're including in our community mappack to see whether the overall gameplay is any good and whether it causes any fps drops on regular not too high-end machines. Right now I guess that map has some room for more details :)

Thanks for your attention, Creavion
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Re: WIP - SLV Map

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

Moved all these posts into different topic.

Your SLV map - wow that looks rather impressive for SLV map. I would personally trim some walkways but this map looks already good according to SLV mapping standards.
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Hey, thanks. I guess when we're done with the SLV mappack, I'll post a link here too.

Here are some other shots -

--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman

Is the second one yours also? I really dig it, looks so clean and simple!
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

SLV is simple ;) but it really looks nice :tu:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Second one is mine too. I made some skyscraper meshes with Meshmaker to put into the skybox so that the map would look a bit more atmospheric. Yeah, it's SLV and it only requires simple maps, but I like to give them at least a bit of atmosphere. I just miss all the custom normal-weapon oriented maps the jUNky server rotated back in 2004. They just looked good, because mappers who made their maps for normal weapons put in more effort into the maps than the people who usually map for SLV/RX.
Slave
Experienced

Post by Slave »

Well, so come back to classic mapping! :mrgreen:

Anyway, nice SLV maps...Even if I don't know what the hell it is. :roll:
Aces Clan - Unreal Tournament Clan Forums
http://www.portalaces.com/clan/
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman

@Slave

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

In few words - SLV is all about controlling a rocket. Usually consumed with CTF or BR99. It is frantic, spammy and fun!
Slave
Experienced

Post by Slave »

Looks very fun Alex. I've downloaded (the RAW version of) it but, it comes without any maps...And I couldn't change the game mode to SLV on the practice section...I think this is a client-side version only with the required files to connect to the servers, right?
Aces Clan - Unreal Tournament Clan Forums
http://www.portalaces.com/clan/
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

Normally you should be able to connect to SLV Servers without any existing additional client files. Just search for "SLV" or "Strangelove" in the Ingame Serverlist.
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

The 3rd pic of Atomic Equilibrium looks a lil bit strange. Nice SLV maps. Too bad I don't play SLV anymore. But I absolutely recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried yet.