IMPORTING TEXTUREs...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
AUdIo SLaVe
Novice
Personal rank: Map Maker

IMPORTING TEXTUREs...

Post by AUdIo SLaVe »

All i want was to be able to see my jpg picture in the u.e. texture browser box
But I can't figure out exactly HOW to do that...
ANy one know ne (links too)programs that convert or do nething in the matter of helping me?? :noidea :chainsaw:

(ps- im making a map of my room and i got all the photos tooken,edited, and everything ready to go)
AUDIO SLAVE
Air
Novice

Re: IMPORTING TEXTUREs...

Post by Air »

1] Accepted import types for Ued are .bmp and .pcx
2] Make sure your textures are power of 2 [128, 256, 512, etc.] MUST BE A SQUARE
3] Make sure your Tex are 256 color, 8 bit
4] As far as conversion goes, MS paint can save as .bmp :tu:
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

You can download for example Xnview, for private use it is free. Under Image > Convert To Colours ... you can .. surprise .. convert the screenshot/photo/texture then.
You should NOT select paint for that progress because Paint is afaik only able to save a picture with a certain colour palette, while programms like xnview select the 256 most used colurs which can be found on a picture for the palette.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
AUdIo SLaVe
Novice

Post by AUdIo SLaVe »

THANK YOU for the program name annd
Also curious about when im importing the texture after converting it
DOn't I have to package it some how like all the other textures or could i just directly import the individual picture
AUDIO SLAVE
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Image > Convert to Colours
Colours: 256
Dithering: None
And click Apply

Then save as BMP.

If you want to import the texture, select filetype (All files).
Then import it.

Package: myLevel (to save the custom content IN the map, so you dont need any extra package and DONT SAVE MYLEVEL, JUST SAVE THE MAP)
Group: What you want
Name: What you want

For more information about MyLevel:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:MyLevel
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
AUdIo SLaVe
Novice

Post by AUdIo SLaVe »

Thanks Bro that all helps alot!! :satan: :D :satan:
AUDIO SLAVE
Diehard
Novice

Post by Diehard »

And since i am here to answer all kinda texture answers, you really should read this article:

Creating Normal Packages

And for the record, these instructions apply to both Unreal and UT, theres no differnece in the aproach between the games. Also, if you dont have Photoshop, than a link is provided for the free program The GIMP. This program is equally proffesional and does the trick as well. And the versions offered on the site are not the latest, but are the most workable version.

I still need to add more info to that page, mainly on how to create textures that have a different Masking color. That part is actually very important since its not always wanted to have the masking color black. Ill try add that part to the instruction as soon as possible, but it all depends on how much time i have. Also, some parts are aimed towards having S3TC support, and this comes back in the advise to never add procedural textures as first texture to a package. I agree this is a remark that does not apply if you only want to have a normal package. But still, if you make sure to add a normal texture as first texture, than S3TC textures is always an option, even after release of the normal package.

But in any case regardless what you read here, or elsewhere, the instructions on that page really are the only correct way to create utx packages without flaws !!!
Diehard
Novice

Post by Diehard »

But in any case regardless what you read here, or elsewhere, the instructions on that page really are the only correct way to create utx packages without flaws !!!

Em, what i ment by that is, the advice given here by others are ment well, but the problem is, there are at least a 50 different methods to change the colors to Indexed Colors, Photoshop and The Gimp offer them all, but only oné is correct, and all the other 49 posibilities fail. Unreal and UT is super picky concerning that, and even worse, often they accept the file, and place it in the package while you cannot see from the outside it contains an error. And all programs mentioned here, may do it correct, but it also could be they use the wrong Indexing, and theres simply no way to tell if its the correct Indexing. Otherwise i wouldnt have a problem with it, but you cannot tell :?

Backthan the Unreal packages were all compiled correct and they dont contain any flaws. UT on the other hand, almost any utx package from UT contains oné or more errors. And the skating player glitch found all over the place is oné of the very unfortunate results.

So the only thing i am saying, if you build your package do it correct :) And if you lack the program, well, theres The GIMP to help you out.........
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ Diehard

nice tutorial :tu: