Rooms looking a bit bare?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Emandion
Average

Rooms looking a bit bare?

Post by Emandion »

Well I've been working on the flagroom for my latest map and it's going okay-ish I guess, but it's still looking a little bit bare..

How do you guys get ideas for making the empty parts look a little better?
Any tips you guys fancy sharing?
And any ideas for what to do to my flagroom?

Screenshots:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7023/unlit.png
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8775/lightingb.png
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Re: Rooms looking a bit bare?

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1630 - First post has everything you need.

How do I decorate areas? Don't tell me you didn't plan your level before-hand, did you? That's critical - I usually sit down with a piece of paper , sketch a layout, and make couple of other drawings mostly related to map architecture. That's all I do, I don't really start with putting map together in editor.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

If you have UT2004.. open some static mesh packages in the SM browser :>
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1630 - First post has everything you need.

How do I decorate areas? Don't tell me you didn't plan your level before-hand, did you? That's critical - I usually sit down with a piece of paper , sketch a layout, and make couple of other drawings mostly related to map architecture. That's all I do, I don't really start with putting map together in editor.
Well I haven't done any mapping for about a year or so I think..
I guess I didn't really expect to like the first room I made so much and develop it into a map.
So after I really liked it I guess I just sort of semi-planned the rest in my head and carried on just for the fun of it.
Quite unorthodox - I know.

But I'll take a look at the link - Thanks! :)

And I think I may have UT2004 lay around gathering dust somewhere.. But I remember it totally ballsed up for me after a while of having it and it just wouldn't recognise my mouse.. So I never bothered to re-install it after my last format.
RatBoy
Novice
Personal rank: Lost in translation

Post by RatBoy »

I don't think on-the-run mapping is bad, actually is what I usually do, I rarely sketch maps, maybe some especific zones or architecture.

I like what I see on the screens, what areas are what you feel are mainly empty? I'll give you some ideas that came up to me watching them:

- I see some platforms in the middle that could use some detailing, maybe a trim it up with a nice texture on the borders or adding some supports against the wall.

- Those lights in the middle of the path look kind of weird, maybe putting them against the wall?

- The pipes that go into the floor should have some brush that makes the transition nicer, not just sinking the pipe into the ground.

- The main walls could use some columns or something to break the monothony.

These are just some thoughts, your map looks nice, I'm new BTW and my english sometimes is kind of crappy so sorry if I don't explain myself nicely =)