projectile and fakebackdrop !!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

projectile and fakebackdrop !!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...hi folks.

I have a problem with my Map DM-GangWar-Kairo ...It is a small arena style map with a pyramid as fightground ...

Now my problem ... The fakebackdrop project the sky ...but if you shoot at the sky the rockets und othe projectile explode on the unseeable wall ...what can I do they don't hit the wall and only disappear??!
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: projectile and fakebackdrop !!

Post by Feralidragon »

You certainlly subtracted a box with the size of the map, the only way to get rid of that is making a much bigger box, otherwise they will explode there because they hit the box.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

You could use cloud zones. Cloudzones kill all actors. No explosion, it just dissapears, and so does the players.
The best would be to block the player and make a huge area where the projectiles can fly off. All projectiles dissapear if they travel too much.
You can also add backdrop sheets. Anything behind it will be invisible.
Ever had trouble sniping down someone in a huge map? Even those instant hit weapons are limited. You can't snipe someone who is very very far away.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

@ Feralidragon
aha ...ok
this make sense.
Myth wrote: You can also add backdrop sheets. Anything behind it will be invisible.
Ever had trouble sniping down someone in a huge map? Even those instant hit weapons are limited. You can't snipe someone who is very very far away.
I try some thing with this backdrop sheets...

Thanks so far.
Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

Myth wrote:You can also add backdrop sheets. Anything behind it will be invisible.
I wouldn't call myself an expert by any way or means but that sounds like a good idea, and by far the easiest solution in terms of both quick-adding and less cpu-intensive (Again, not an expert, but I'd imagine rendering a sheet backdrop would be easier than rendering fogzones? If I'm wrong I'm wrong, so don't take my word for it I guess?)

The projectile (rocket, for example) would pass beyond the sheet and explode on the wall behind - but once it's through the sheet you won't see the explosion (providing the sheet is far enough away from the main wall, if it's not far enough you'll still see some of it.. I'd recommend at least between 128 and 256 units just for safety)

Of course, you'll have a problem with the redeemer blast at that size (if you use 128, even 256.. I'm not entirely sure on the size of the redeemer blast, but my estimate would be something around the size of 1024.. I think it's bigger than 512 in complete diameter.. But then only half of it would be shown if it hits the outer wall.. Maybe 512 will be enough.. Sorry I'm babbling.. If you're seriously concerned about the redeemer blast.. Trial and Error I guess?) But seriously, who's going to shoot a redeemer missile outside of the map, anyway?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

@ Emandion
fortunately there is no Redeemer in this map .... :mrgreen:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Myth's idea is very good also, althought I wouldn't add cloud zones myself for that.
I mean, you shoot a rocket to outside the "main area" and it suddently vanishes, while currently it explodes, so the desire effect wouldn't be achieved anyhow imho.

I said a much bigger box, because this way you can see for example a rocket fade away, looking much more realistic in a map like this, and since it has a LifeSpan, it won't go that far and won't consume much CPU (it will consume even less CPU since you don't have to build a large zone for the cloud zone).

But this is just my opinion..
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

You have open my map in UnrealED ....how to ad a bigger box?
I have to rebuild the hole map and add the walls manually ...or not?
NinjaNali
Average

Post by NinjaNali »

either vertex edit the current one, or delete that one, then subtract a new, bigger box in its place then select this new subtract, right click and go select Order >> To First. Finally rebuild, and you should have the same map, but with with a bigger box for rockets to fly into.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ...how I build this map.
I subtract a Box ...I thought "meh I do a arena map there is no need for a skuuy" ...I was wrong.
now I subtracted 64 unit thick blocks to build the fakebackdrop, the walls are notches in this 64 unit blocks.

creepy... I know... :ironic:

now. I have to rebuild the walls and make a bigger sky around my map ...right?
Air
Novice

Post by Air »

By: Eradicator

Tutorial:

Intro
I won’t be taking you step by step to do it, but instead I’ll tell you how it is done, so that you can go and do it! It will be so easy that it will actually be pointless for me to sit and take shots of everything as I go along. In anyway, this tutorial is not about building the skybox, it is about fixing the problem with shooting the sky.

Tutorial
When you have your window looking out to the stars from the spaceship, or your clouds panning across the sky above, and find you shoot into the skybox and hit something, do this:

1.) Between you and the fake backdrop, build a thin wall/ceiling with the builder brush (i.e. a wall between the window to the stars and the fake backdrop outside.)

2.) Add the brush with the “add special” button, choose “regular brush” from the predefined settings, but tick the non-solid attribute before adding it in.

3.) Now click on the texture of the new wall and set its effect to be the new fake backdrop.
The effect

If you rebuild and test the map, you’ll see that you can safely shoot at the sky and not see the projectile hitting anything. This is simply because the non-solid attribute allows you to and everything else, to pass right through the brush, while still obscuring the view of anything behind it. The projectile effectively explodes, or whatever the case may be, on the wall behind the fake backdrop, completely out of view!
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok I'll try a combination of the written solutions... stay tuned.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok found something ...I release the map as fixed-Final in the next hours.
thx so far @ all !!!

EDIT-------------------------------------

Damn! .....ok NOW I do release the map as fixed-Final in the next hours.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

have a new version online ....puleeeez ....tell me what you think.
DM-GangWar-Kairo
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Well, I don't really have the time, not even to work on my maps but, whatever, I go and download it. 3MB isn't that much. So I open the zip and I see Egypt.utx and EgyptPan.utx... O_o ...so 80% of the pack are base ut textures... everyone who has UT has got those 2 texture packs. If you don't know which texture pack came whit ut that everyone has just ask. Now what's the rest? we still got a .unr and a .umx file. Yes there it has got some custom music, yay, it even sounds cool. And the rest is a 648KB map file. (208KB zipped, 7% of the whole zip) At this point I was starting to have a really really bad feeling about it. I copy the .umx file into ut's music folder and run the map. The maps visuals isn't that big deal. Rather simple. Besides that, to my surprise, the map is very playable. It doesn't get as good as Deck16 but compared to all the crap and ghey maps out there this one is really playable. If I was to choose between DM-A-Funnel-Chaos-Terminator-4-RELOADED and DM-GangWar-Kairo i'd choose DM-GangWar-Kairo. So I took a second run and check out in-game that infamous projectile blocking wall solution. I shoot a few rockets and it doesn't explode, it flies away and dissapears after a while. The shock rifle's both primary and secondary fire explodes in a distant invisible wall... well good enough. After that I tried to jump over the exterior wall. That's really possible, 2 impact jumps or a rocket jump. I didn't see anything interesting outside and couldn't get back in. (me goes suicide). I also took a look in the editor. Everything is as simple as possible. Except for the excessive amount of path nodes. Bot support... I don't really care about it. Bots in UT are always very stupid. (aren't they in any other game?)

Well that's about it. (what an uninteresting blob of text I wrote... :P) Now go and work on your next map.