projectile and fakebackdrop !!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: projectile and fakebackdrop !!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ....I must say I didn't test it with the shock rifle... darn ...Oh and I dont tryed to escape the map (impacthammer-jump) ... double darn.

how to block players but not the Projektiel?
Oh and my Bots are not so dump ...but in the Beta the Bots don't walk around the pyramid
...I have to place the nodes closer and overused it a little bit.

So ... I thank you for your comments. :tu:

Ps.: The egypt-pack is only for those who don't have it ...some people for whatever reason do sometimes lose there UT components.

EDIT--------------------------------------------

You opened my eyes...
I'll do make a better version of this map.... DM-GangWar-Kairo][
this map is too empty and simple only the main-gameplay will be left over.
Last edited by papercoffee on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

papercoffee wrote:Ps.: The egypt-pack is only for those who don't have it ...some people for whatever reason do sometimes lose there UT components.
What? Like myth said.. this is a retail package. Seriously, who deletes those packages is simply stupid. With this way of thinking you could add the half amount of the ut installation files to your maps -.-
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Creavion wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Ps.: The egypt-pack is only for those who don't have it ...some people for whatever reason do sometimes lose there UT components.
What? Like myth said.. this is a retail package. Seriously, who deletes those packages is simply stupid. With this way of thinking you could add the half amount of the ut installation files to your maps -.-
(-__-) That make sense.
Ok next time I'll be less overcautious.
Air
Novice

Post by Air »

Alright, downloaded and played. Review Time.

The Good: Arena style maps are always a frag-filled blast. The custom music, while it doesn't compliment the theme, was interesting and a refreshing change from razor-ub. :wink:

The "Areas for improvement": To be frank, Architecture wasn't really a wow or memorable. I understand it's an arena map so it should remain simplistic and symmetrical, but you can still work within those constraints and create a map that players will keep on Dming in due to some feature which struck them as unique. Tips? Oh I dunno... A giant pharoah looking down upon you in the skybox? A "Nile" river cutting through the pyramid? Booby traps and hidden undeground tombs (some 1337 Indiana Jones rip-off)? And so on, and so forth. Aside from that, a few other things I noted were missing trims, gas lamps (torches emmiting orange flickering lights would've enhanced the theme imo), and the flat "Egyptian" architecture. Look at some pictures of actual Obelisks and Pyramids/Temples and mimic them in your brushwork. The skybox (for a map which is to be fought in mostly outdoors) is ..eh. Slow-Panning skies and a contrast of cold and hot lighting (Purple/blue and Orange/yellow) looks nice. One more thing, the outer area, namely the flat stone wall perimeter, really wasnt too convincing. If the pyramid were set on an island it would've looked great imo.

I'm ranting here. Lemme calm down.

Ok, I'm good.
Anyhow, being a critic is easy. Map making is tiresome and often agitating.
You made the map, and it was as good an attempt as any other novice mapper.
Look at some of the pro's maps and mimic their brushwork to understand why they made certain areas on way or another.
http://unrealplayground.com/forums/down ... t_5237.jpg
http://unrealplayground.com/forums/down ... le&id=5561
Check those out.
After awhile of stealing, your own style will emerge. :tu:

Au revior, Air.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Thank you Air.

:idea: ...I'll build a new version of this map with more "wow" included. :mrgreen: