Can't identify the source of a BSP hole

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Emandion
Average

Can't identify the source of a BSP hole

Post by Emandion »

I think it's probably come about from Vertex Edits, 'cause Ive done a lot of those in this map so far.. I think that was the same reason I had a hole in CTF-BloodMetal

The thing is I can't identify what causes the hole.. It only effects the semi-solid walkways
The hole happens (as you can probably guess) at the red cut at the top level.

I can upload the map if anybody wants to have a look at it, too.

If somebody could explain to me exactly why these holes are caused that'd be great, 'cause bsp holes still confuse me a bit to be honest..

Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Can't identify the source of a BSP hole

Post by Creavion »

I can not see a bsp hole there, only bsp cuts :confused2:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Emandion
Average

Post by Emandion »

Yeah, but that cut causes a hole.. If you play the map and walk on the semi-solid walkway, you'll fall through half of it, which lines up with where that cut is

Turns out it was the way I'd rounded off the door.. I guess I'll have to find another way to round them off.. I deleted the subtracted corners, and now I'm left with a different BSP hole..

rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

Dude,

A better view would be zone portal one for identifying the problem. Please post a Zone portal view and if the map is not that big, upload the map altogether and forget the view :wink: ..
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You shouldn't analyze only the broken area maybe the Problem is someone else.

I quote from a linked tutorial Air gave me to solve my problem...
Hourences wrote:Heavy example. A corridor with a huge HOM. The corridor simply disappeared in to the void. The HOM occurred EXACTLY on the border of a super cut so the cause was clear. The only remaining question then was: what brush was causing that super cut ? My first thought was that the 2 substracted cylinders on the corner caused it but that proved not be true. As you can see in this picture the massive cut line completely ignores the brushes beneath it. It cuts right trough poly's instead of running parallel with them so they were not the cause.
http://phalanx.planetunreal.gamespy.com ... bsp/18.jpg
However when looking further I saw that one of the edges of a the same corridor a little bit further on pointed in the exact same direction as the super cut. If you were the put a line (the pink one) against the edge of the corridor you would see the edge runs 100 percent parrallel with the big BSP cut in the corridor with the HOM. That brush was the problem. I transform permanently'fied that brush, rebuilded and the problem was fixed.
http://phalanx.planetunreal.gamespy.com ... bsp/16.jpg
The HOM occured on the border between orange and green for your information.

This tracking takes some time to master but its real simple once you understand it and helps greatly.

Now what are the things you could do when you got a BSP error and you found the offending brush or problem area.
Well, you could start by slightly moving the brush. That will move the cut as well which will likely fix the problem.
http://phalanx.planetunreal.gamespy.com ... nsadvanced