The Strangelove Mappack.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

The Strangelove Mappack.

Post by [did]Madis »

Original thread

Download the Mappack!

Individual map screenshots:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
[did]Madis
Adept

Re: The Strangelove Mappack.

Post by [did]Madis »

All of them except enigma, ultra and kayrel would probably work with rocketx or the kind, too.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I downloaded this pack yesterday, but only today I had the time to try them out, so here's my opinion:

- Cobra Towers: It's a great map visually and I bet gameplay is also great (since even with so many SLVs, there's enough room to get a good gameplay without spam imo).
But there are some things that could be improved in this map: the "forbidden" team areas should warn when you loose the flag, and also they should have a bit more details (like supports or something to ceiling, because when you look up it looks like a simple shape with simply a texture to the ceiling and another to the walls. Outside it doesn't need more details, since the towers and the surrounding architecture fullfills the map detail (and since more detail would mean more BSP processing, and we don't want that in SLV of course). Still in the "forbidden" areas, their entrance should be trimmed out to look better, since it just looks too damn basic relative to the rest of the map. About the rest of the map, I really liked those green super healths, and the GFX around the map, really cool and well used imho.

- Atomic Equilibrium: Really nice map, it reminds me a mix an actual SLV map (I think UrsVSDid?), so the gameplay should be like good mutation of the old one.
I liked the theme and the way it was shown here. But what I really liked above all on this map was the skybox: I think I never saw such good and animated city background in any map, and the moving jets idea, not only was very good, as it also was very well done (they really fly in a certain flow and different speeds, and not like in some maps where they make 90/45º everywhere they turn lol). Of course, all the other effects, such the fog/cloud fx and the city buildings are very well built. Also great idea on using the Redeemer 'screen static' texture to give that nice effect to the images in the bases. The rest of the map in the other hand could be better in lighting imho (more contrast, too bland now), and also some pillars in the middle don't have their textures properlly aligned in the U axis.
But other than that the map is nice.

- Enigmatic: Again the super city skybox, but now with the sun rising from what it appears to me. While it appears very good and has the fog correctly apllied, I think it doesn't have the sky walls surfaces No Smooth checked, so I can see clearlly the box lines, which is not good. If you plan to fix the map, check the sky walls (the ones with the sun and all) surfaces property No Smooth. While they will look a bit more pixelated, the lines won't be noticeable any longer, and it's better not have those lines, since they ruin the excellent skybox.
The map itself, you should do the same in those textures (No Smooth) behind the bases front wall (since there's a line too dividing what should be a single image). The rest, I trully liked the effects in the team symbols meshes, as well the little chargers below each pickup/weapon, and the map as a whole is very good and I didn't see any noticeable texture that wouldn't fit or unaligned. Really good job on this one, on details, lighting and layout.

- KeyRel: Well, to say the truth, this map disapointed me. Regarding gameplay, some passages are too tricky to handle a SLV to the base, and the ones which aren't are lifts and can only be go through on foot, but considering the amount of SLVs around, this should be player ok. Now about visuals, it could be much much better indeed. Regarding architecture, there are some weird looking passages and the lifts weren't nicelly done visually (the center cylinder covering the lift is not centered and looks bad imo), but overall it's ok. Still in architecture, I really liked those spiral type lamps and the way the lighting was built.
The lighting overall is right, but there are some areas which are overbrighten with just a relativelly small and low bright light.
The background (outside with the trees) is nice, nothing much to say here.
The texturing is really bad in some brushes, as many trims are unaligned, specially the ones with the golden writings/stripes, and they aren't that difficult to align, so I think the author didn't care much about the alignment of these, which was a mistake.
The trims at the entrances of the connections between the 2 bases have a texture that doesn't look any good imo. Overall, I think this is the worse map in the pack, and it could be much better with a little more effort from the author.

- Periculosus: Yet, another trully amazing map. The sky is excellent and the architecture is very good. Lighting could use some improvement (again a bit more contrast), but overall is also very good.
Again the 'static screen' fx used, and again the texture behind should have No Smooth checked, since the line in the middle is there again. The only thing that could be improved is the lava environment: I don't say to be more bright, but even with that level of brightness the surround walls should have the emitting light from that brightness (which could be done either with lighting, or better yet, a little texture edit to add some red/orange at the bottom to look more realistic. Other than that, the map is excellent.

- Ultra: Not much to say about this one. It's basically a new Enigmatic but with some more detail in the map from what I saw, but in space and a different layout. Still, of course, it looks very good, but after Enigmatic, this one doesn't bring really anything new besides the slightly different environment.

Well, overall, it's really a great SLV mappack, and I hope you guys do these more often. :tu:
So far, Good Job :gj:
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Me and the rest of the SMP2 team are very grateful for your short, but constructive review. You nailed the layout of ursvsdid being used, it's one of my all time favorites of SLV maps, and I always thought that the visual side didn't do the map any justice, so I redid it.

Ultra was more of a tribute map to the UT3 HOLP1 original. It was simply one of my all-time favorite ut3 maps, and I really wanted to play this in ut99. I think it has 1v1-2v2 instagib potential. If an InstaGib server would host it, I would be very proud.

Periculosus and AtomicEquilibrium were highly slv-oriented, but I tried to mix the gametypes of normal weapons and SLV in enigma, thus the tighter paths and more interconnected routes.

Cobra towers, created by r3plicant was in my opinion, the map that tried to capture the conceptual grandness. I tried the same with Periculosus at first, but unfortunately, I lost the interest in the map at the very end, thus only adding a little detail to the top section of the middle room. Originally it was planned to be at the bottom of a volcanic crater.

There most likely not be a SMP3. At least, not lead by me like the last two map packs. I'm basically moving forward from the SLV scene and trying to improve my mapping skills in more 'fertile grounds' - e.g. mapping for other popular, hardcore gaming gametypes, such as ig or other competitive mods. So, in the future, my maps will probably be more high poly and higher quality due to the SLV performance limits not being present.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

[did]Madis wrote: There most likely not be a SMP3. At least, not lead by me like the last two map packs. I'm basically moving forward from the SLV scene and trying to improve my mapping skills in more 'fertile grounds' - e.g. mapping for other popular, hardcore gaming gametypes, such as ig or other competitive mods. So, in the future, my maps will probably be more high poly and higher quality due to the SLV performance limits not being present.
In that case, I would say you have skills for building really good MH and SP maps, but since you're looking for competitive and hardcore, CTF and DM would suit you better then, so I think you can achieve really excellent things (while I am still on my way to achieve something lol).
So keep mapping, and let us know about your maps :tu:
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

At this moment, I guess anything could go that allows me to improve myself. Mapping for SLV obviously presents some limits, therefore you cannot put much detail into the map without lagging it for some machines. Basically, I'm willing to map for anything that doesn't present said performance limits and for something that people actually play. There's no use in mapping if anyone's ever going to play your maps.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

In the matter of detail level check Swankys FOT maps, they look good (enough) and run nearly on every pc.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

Whoa, these screenshots actually make me want to return to playing SLV. ( I used to drop by DID clan servers once in a while :tongue: ) As for mapping for more competitive gametypes, I'd suggest you try out CTF. Unlike DM layouts that need to follow some specific rules, you can do whatever you want in CTF. :mrgreen:
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:... I'd suggest you try out CTF. Unlike DM layouts that need to follow some specific rules, you can do whatever you want in CTF. :mrgreen:
Hmm, I thought it was the opposite. :tongue:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

smeerkat wrote:
--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:... I'd suggest you try out CTF. Unlike DM layouts that need to follow some specific rules, you can do whatever you want in CTF. :mrgreen:
Hmm, I thought it was the opposite. :tongue:
I think he meant that in DM you have to worry more with the flow and Z-Axis, while in CTF you have only to worry with 2 balanced bases (so the one team can't have any advantage over the other).
RatBoy
Novice
Personal rank: Lost in translation

Post by RatBoy »

Gonna download this one, from the screens looks very promising :D