map screenshot

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Filipe
Experienced
Personal rank: Death knight

map screenshot

Post by Filipe »

I want to put a screenshot on a map.Do You need to use photoshop to change the format?. I know how to import textures.

I tried to change the format of a screenshot to pcx (indexed 256 colors) imported the screenshot to go to level properties and put the texture on »level info » screenshot

But it did not work
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Re: map screenshot

Post by Hook »

Did you UN-check Generate MipMaps when you imported it? (UN-check it also)

Also, read here...
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/2-sc ... -t524.html
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Take bmp (also 256 colours).
DieHard (the guy behind the Unreal and UT S3TC retexturing project) wrote:A general remark: DONT EVER USE PCX !!! Period !!!

There is no program in the world that is capable of correctly saving the textures for the use in Unreal or UT. You HAVE to use the BMP format as this is the only format that can have the correct index so Unreal and UT can read it.

And if you say, but i always use that for my textures and it works fine. Well, forget it, underneath what you can see the textures WILL be corrupt.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:Take bmp (also 256 colours).
DieHard (the guy behind the Unreal and UT S3TC retexturing project) wrote:A general remark: DONT EVER USE PCX !!! Period !!!

There is no program in the world that is capable of correctly saving the textures for the use in Unreal or UT. You HAVE to use the BMP format as this is the only format that can have the correct index so Unreal and UT can read it.

And if you say, but i always use that for my textures and it works fine. Well, forget it, underneath what you can see the textures WILL be corrupt.
Didn't know that... I never liked to use PCX anyway for import, since BMP works the same (although now with that quote it seems that it's the only format that actually works good) and has much more advantages over PCX, and here's a simple one: with pcx you need a program which can read and save it, while BMP is universal: any image program is able to read and save that format, and if you want to make a really small adjustment to the already indexed image, you can just open it in MSPaint, do the correction and save it, and no color indexing data is lost at all (I use MSPaint a lot rofl).
Filipe
Experienced
Personal rank: Death knight

Post by Filipe »

Thanks all :tu:
Slave
Experienced

Post by Slave »

I ever used PCX to make my textures...I never got any issues of corrupting textures with it. Well, anyway, I'll make some tries with BMP to see the results. :)
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

Well i would say don't even try it :D... I already have tried it. It sometimes messes up with the colors in your image. It also automatically brightens your textures so you loose some color information. Anyways, UT engine stores those PCX images after converting them to BMP inside your texture files so why do you want all that fuss anyways.

Just use the hassle free BMP format and enjoy. Only have to remember the size and color depth constraints that's it..

@Ferali, i would say you should try Irfan view. I was really impressed with the features, simplicity and size of this program. Way ahead of MS paint :D.
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

EVERYTHING is better than MS paint D:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ahhwwwwwww ....MS Paint is not sooo bad .... :loool:
For fast scribbles is it somehow fun.

Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

rohitggarg wrote: @Ferali, i would say you should try Irfan view. I was really impressed with the features, simplicity and size of this program. Way ahead of MS paint :D.
Thanks, I will check it out.
Creavion wrote:EVERYTHING is better than MS paint D:
Not everything. I use MS paint to organize the UV maps into color "layers" so I can then add all the effects and texturing later on Paint Shop AND Photoshop (although I think I will start using GIMP instead, since Photoshop is too damn buggy, even my very old Paint Shop version is 1000x more stable than Photoshop, and I use Paint Shop mostly for overall skinning and effects (since they are faster and more simple to do in this program), and any retouches I do again in MS Paint or Photoshop, also photoshop is too complicated and buggy saving to indexed BMP, while Paint Shop saves to the indexed BMP (UT format) in almost full quality (you don't quite notice the change, unless your image is too damn colorfull, but that happens no matter what program you use)).
I use MS Paint for other things too, since it's simple and more stable for certain stuff, rather than open a GIMP, or a Photoshop or even Paint Shop for it.
Also I use the simple Microsoft Image editor (that comes with the Office if I am not mistaken), since for certain things it's easier to adjust small things such as brightness, contrast and color.
Yeah, I use a lot of programs for image editing ROFL

Regarding the BMP vs PCX thingy: don't forget that the PCX pallete is seperated from the actual image, while in the BMP everything is in the same integrated file data, and so UT seperates the image data from the indexed colors pallete once imported, but since each BMP image has its own pallete within, there's no data loss and you get full color quality, while in PCX this doesn't happen, so perhaps that's why UT messes the PCX pallete, because UT keeps the PCX image data intact, but the same can't be said about its color pallete, making it darker, brighter or even with some color changes. Well, this is a just a theory of mine, since from what I know PCX differs from BMP specially regarding image data + pallete handling.
Hook
Inhuman

Post by Hook »

I have also used pcx mostly and haven't had any problems at all.
If they are good enough for UT originally, they are good enough now.
However, I will check it out further and try more bmp's - maybe better?
=Hook=(Member# 626)

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
LeviKOS
Average

Post by LeviKOS »

Sometime ago I made a gradient texture for a skybox and imported as a bmp file. I got bad results. The further I got from the surface the worse the texture looked. And when I imported as pcx file it just got too bright. So which one is the better? :noidea
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

LeviKOS wrote:The further I got from the surface the worse the texture looked.
Already tried to deactivate Mipmaps during import?
About to be non-active
Hook
Inhuman

Post by Hook »

LeviKOS wrote:And when I imported as pcx file it just got too bright. So which one is the better? :noidea
As I said in my article/tutorial (see post above) it will need to be color corrected a bit! :tu:
Color Correcting works - I do it to textures all the time. :P
=Hook=(Member# 626)

LeviKOS
Average

Post by LeviKOS »

Creavion wrote:
LeviKOS wrote:The further I got from the surface the worse the texture looked.
Already tried to deactivate Mipmaps during import?
That worked. But I also discovered it was caused by the bmp not being indexed colours. So when I imported the texture, it looked a bit uglier.