Bunny Track mapping content

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Slave
Experienced

Bunny Track mapping content

Post by Slave »

I was thinking to start mapping for Bunny Tracks too, in addition to my classic maps. I think everyone here knows BT, so... Anyone knows where to find some good tutorials or documentations about BT maps? I found those two community sites about BT, but there's no much content about map making.

http://www.i4games.eu/ and http://www.bunnytrack.org/

If anyone is interested, too. :)
Aces Clan - Unreal Tournament Clan Forums
http://www.portalaces.com/clan/
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Bunny Track mapping content

Post by Creavion »

The only gametype for which you can map only if you can play it. :/
After I have seen so many crap maps - from the visual aspects - I often tried to make something on my own. But its hopeless if you can not do even half of the tricks.
Really, most of those maps look ugly as hell. The most beautiful map I found was:
CTF-BT-Luxor-v3 (BT-Luxor by z3u5)
Actually the mapper connected some nice visuals - I think with decent gameplay - I can not judge it...
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

You forgot a guy called Null. He made this map and few others actually. They all rock in terms of visuals.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Oh yearh, this looks indeed also very nice. But you have also to admit.. maps on this visual level are very rare. :o
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

When I look at some of these BT videos I imagine what would happen, if hypothetically, Epic owned the rights for BT and released a stand-alone game based on the mod? The gameplay, thanks to UT's very unique movement physics is in my opinion no less innovative than games such as Portal. Besides, it has a multiplayer component.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

[did]Madis wrote:When I look at some of these BT videos I imagine what would happen, if hypothetically, Epic owned the rights for BT and released a stand-alone game based on the mod?
BTmania Industrial Extreme :roll:
They can not own the rights to BT. Thats like they would think they would have invented CTF.
About to be non-active
Slave
Experienced

Post by Slave »

Yes. BT is nothing more than separated CTF maps with obstacles... :) It's like an addicted CTF mode.

I really like it, last night I was trying to finish a "low difficulty" map that I've found, but it took 1 hour and a half to get to the middle of it. I died, and turned off my PC. LOL...
Aces Clan - Unreal Tournament Clan Forums
http://www.portalaces.com/clan/
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Slave wrote:Yes. BT is nothing more than separated CTF maps with obstacles... :) It's like an addicted CTF mode.

I really like it, last night I was trying to finish a "low difficulty" map that I've found, but it took 1 hour and a half to get to the middle of it. I died, and turned off my PC. LOL...
I still think this has an enormous commercial exploitation potential.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

Slave wrote:I was thinking to start mapping for Bunny Tracks too, in addition to my classic maps. I think everyone here knows BT, so... Anyone knows where to find some good tutorials or documentations about BT maps? I found those two community sites about BT, but there's no much content about map making.

http://www.i4games.eu/ and http://www.bunnytrack.org/

If anyone is interested, too. :)
What exactly are you looking for? You can get nice ideas from playing lots of different BT-maps. The cool thing about BT-maps is that you can make your maps more dynamic using kickers, lifts, puzzles. This is usually a bit limited in the other gametypes. For more specific questions you can ask around on BT-MaTcH.

Creavion wrote:The only gametype for which you can map only if you can play it. :/
After I have seen so many crap maps - from the visual aspects - I often tried to make something on my own. But its hopeless if you can not do even half of the tricks.
If you can find someone with a good concept and someone who can help to test the map I believe you can make a nice BT-map regardless of your BT-skills.
Creavion wrote: Really, most of those maps look ugly as hell. The most beautiful map I found was:
CTF-BT-Luxor-v3 (BT-Luxor by z3u5)
Actually the mapper connected some nice visuals - I think with decent gameplay - I can not judge it...
I'm not exactly sure what your expectations are, but I suspect they're pretty high. Neverthless I can't fully agree. There're lots of uggly maps indeed, but there're also plenty of beautifull maps. I think this is the same for any gametype. You've probably been playing some of the less attractive maps.

Luxor is definitely a nice map, but not the most attractive in my opinion. I suggest you check out the following maps:
- BT-OldMill
- BT-LethalSun
- BT-DecayedCollapse

If these maps interest you then try some more maps by the following mappers: JTwizzy, drunklove, Null, kLeptO, Splashy, K'rool.
[did]Madis wrote:When I look at some of these BT videos I imagine what would happen, if hypothetically, Epic owned the rights for BT and released a stand-alone game based on the mod? The gameplay, thanks to UT's very unique movement physics is in my opinion no less innovative than games such as Portal. Besides, it has a multiplayer component.
There's a game based on similar ideas, it's called Mirrors Edge. With respect to gameplay it's not nearly as original though. It also lacks decent teamplay opportunities.
Slave wrote:Yes. BT is nothing more than separated CTF maps with obstacles... :) It's like an addicted CTF mode.

CTF was first used, because it was the most suited gametype for this type of gameplay. BT is a bit more then just CTF with obstacles though. You can play games by yourself, with teammates or against eachothers. There's an active rushing-community, an active cup-community and there's always a high demand for new maps.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Well, the problem is now, people think wrong if I would say now, check my UT99.org CMP2 maps and you will know. So what? :tongue:
But anyway...
@LethalSun: Yes, huge thing and looks rather nice for a bunnytrack map. I can not complain about the visuals. Pretty good. Playing is not possible for me anyway^^
Same for BT-DecayedCollapse. Some really good architecture ideas.
For both maps I would say, visual on the highest level (for Bunnytrack!), because I know archi could also cause problems with the game flow.
The mill level is also pretty cool, very originally. textures, obstacles .. everything fits there. Well made map, indeed. I just can not play any of them. To sad. :mrgreen:

Sometimes I thought about how something like "BT 2D" would work, maybe it would be even easier to play, since you would have to worry only about 2 dimensions.
About to be non-active
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

Creavion wrote:Well, the problem is now, people think wrong if I would say now, check my UT99.org CMP2 maps and you will know. So what? :tongue:
Yes, I did play those maps a while ago. I must say that they look amazing, but for DM and CTF I usually like simple-looking maps so I don't get disoriented. :tongue:
Creavion wrote: Sometimes I thought about how something like "BT 2D" would work, maybe it would be even easier to play, since you would have to worry only about 2 dimensions.
Actually, some mappers already made 2D-maps. It doesn't work too well in my opinion, it's even harder then 3D.
- BT-A1TwoD
- BT-Pacman.

Anyways, if you like this idea in 2D you can check out some of the Mario-hacks. There're some really nifty ideas in those hacks as well.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I meant a real 2d version. Check out sp2d on unrealsp.org, although the stopped development lets the mod looking dead. UT3 has also a something similar, not single player. UT2D. Even the jumping parts there are hard enough for me.
About to be non-active
Filipe
Experienced
Personal rank: Death knight

Post by Filipe »

I made a map semi-BT, with some traps and puzzles.The map is made to be played in single player, and its not CTF ( is MH) ´

A little Indiana Jones :P

Download http://www.filefront.com/16044173/MH-Traps.zip/
mackkaif
Novice

Post by mackkaif »

thanks for sharing :)

[advertisement removed, one more time = ban]
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

imo most of the shitty looking BT maps of either slack or novice mappers are some of the most addicting and fun to play.
But don't get me wrong playing a BT map with great architecture and original traps or obstacles is great.

BT-Slidebitch v2 Is addicting but can be frustrating. All it is is a long hallway that has 3 slopes and a couple of lava pits and the idea is to use the jump hax to get the flags.
Map takes like 1min to finish without using the slide jumping and i think using the hax... the rec is like 22 seconds or something.

BT-(MEN)Speed-v2 isn't necessarily ugly map but extremly simple looking. And that's great fun.

BT-(CN)Jvnkiestyle is what i'd consider an ugly map with stupid texture, but again it's not always about what the map looks like.

So if you enjoy BT for the game play. Then the look of the map doesn't matter.
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][