DM-Valkyrie Released

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

DM-Valkyrie Released

Post by Revelation »

Hi all!

Here's another Deathmatch map for good old UT99.
Since I had quite some troube motivating myself, it took me longer to finish it than I expected. But what should I say, it's done now.^^

The map uses the same black/white version of the "Ancient" textures I made for DM-Gorgon quite a while ago. Furthermore, some features you might know from AS-FoT-Chronoshift are also included, as well as at least one brand-new effect. ;)
Another thing, you might have already guessed it, is the performance:
Once again, poly-counts exceed the "magic border" of 1000 in some spots, and of course, various particle effects and deco meshes are also present.
Therefore, I've monitored the frame rates on a few differents systems, and I'd suggest some sort of dual-core CPU to run this map fluently. For example, a notebook with Core 2 Duo T7100, 2 GB RAM and GeForce 8400M had no drops below 30fps in a 4-player-game.

For some more details, have a look at the included TXT file.
And by the way, thanks to milb and FrozenDozer for the spontaneous beta-testing. ;)

Now, have fun playing, and as always, leave some comments!

Download @ ModDB
Attachments
Valkyrie3.jpg
Valkyrie2.jpg
Valkyrie1.jpg
Last edited by Revelation on Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Filipe
Experienced
Personal rank: Death knight

Re: DM-Valkyrie Released

Post by Filipe »

WOW it locks nice :gj:

that skybox is very nice
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Nice work... as always...
The only perfo lack for me is in sight of the blue beam with the very -ut3-like-necris ... "warphole" or however it could be called .. for those tentacles at least in ut3.

Warning.. bigger screenshot:

Also nice the variations of the crystals.. the beam, the textures and the very small crystals - which sometimes "sprout" ouf the ground (greetings from Command and Conquer?)
But its a nice map indeed. ... as always, like I said. Its really rare to see some really extreme high quality maps here.

Only thing I dont like - but thats nearly nothing - is the choice of music. I would have used maybe Wargate since it would fit much better with the ambience of the map.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

On the second pic is the left support columns outside the map? Or is it a graphic bug? :???:
I see this map already somewhere in a Forum ...maybe unrealed.info ?

Really nice architecture. :thuup: I like it.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Really nice map, and I must say it was really smart the way you made the fading/fogging skybox (translucent fading floor anyone? genius :tu: ), and the "warphole" and sun brightness are really well done.

I think the performance is not a problem in single core CPUs, actually I think the map will run better in a pentium 4 with hyperthreading than in a dual core CPU, for the simple fact that UT only loads up 50% of the dual core CPU, which means mostly a single core. So no matter if it's single core, dual or quad, everything depends on the technology and speed of each core itself. For instance I had no performance problems, and my Graphic card is not that great and I do have a dual core CPU, but as I said, it only uses half of it.

Again, in the map itself, the only thing I would personally add are little sprites or very little coronas to the small crystals on the floor and on the wall below to look way better.

Other than that, really good job :tu:
exceed91
Novice
Personal rank: Charlatan

Post by exceed91 »

Feralidragon wrote:Really nice map, and I must say it was really smart the way you made the fading/fogging skybox (translucent fading floor anyone? genius
My thoughts exactly. The sun glare and the large semi-rotating crystals were nice touches as well.
I think the weapons are placed perfectly as well. Especially the RL and Sniper rifle.
I only think a little more could have been done with the lighting. There are very few if any sharp/dark shadows.
I've been a fan of your maps since Ferrea. You never fail to impress. Great job.
Revelation
Average

Post by Revelation »

Thx all! :)
(greetings from Command and Conquer?)
Not really, at least I did't think about C&C when building the crystals... However your're right, perhaps it's not Tarydium but Tiberium. :mrgreen:
Only thing I dont like - but thats nearly nothing - is the choice of music. I would have used maybe Wargate since it would fit much better with the ambience of the map.
Yeah, Swanky said something like that too... Don't know why I picked Starseek, it's too lnog ago.^^
I see this map already somewhere in a Forum ...maybe unrealed.info ?
Probably, yes. :P
I only think a little more could have been done with the lighting. There are very few if any sharp/dark shadows.
I know, lighting is quite the weak point of this map... But to quote myself from UnrealPlaygound: "it would be incrediby difficult to make a more realistic sunlight (big spotlights and stuff) for poly-counts like these... I tried, but after crashing the editor three times in a row, I decided to take the easier way."
I've been a fan of your maps since Ferrea.
lol, now that's quite a while ago... Those good old times... :mrgreen:
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

in one word: AWESOME! :gj:
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Revelation, have you violated the Uengine once again??

just d/l'd Valkyrie....comments to follow.... :tu:

-------------------------------------

http://ut.levels4you.com/downloads.l4y? ... rby=rating
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

That's f***ing hot.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I would suggest you to submit your map to beyondunreal as news. map-factory.org is also a pretty good mirror, since the site is very active regarding downloads. But its up to you.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Revelation
Average

Post by Revelation »

Don't get me started with BeyondUnreal... Remember the "short while" it would take to put FoT5 to the filebase? That has never happened (I mean, it only 18 months are probably too short :roll:), plus, milb and me had no more access to the Timewarp-FTP from one day to another. Needless to say that we never got an answer on the question about it. However, I won't waste my time with these idiots again...

Map-Factory... Uhm, yeah, totally forgot about that. I think I''ll care about it shortly.

Btw: [did]Madis, are you that Madis from old (I mean, very old) unrealed.info?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Btw: [did]Madis, are you that Madis from old (I mean, very old) unrealed.info?
OMD, I don`t think so he is. His behavior does not fit with the user you mean. I guess its like "Shadow". (similarity of names)

@bu: Well, thanks for the warning. Did not know the full story, or forgot it.
About to be non-active
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Revelation wrote:Btw: [did]Madis, are you that Madis from old (I mean, very old) unrealed.info?
Nope.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile