Terragen to Ued

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Filipe
Experienced
Personal rank: Death knight

Terragen to Ued

Post by Filipe »

When i was reading the "readme" files of a map "CTF-FoT-Selket" i´ve seen that he used terragen, and i have it.
Can some one explain me how to convert from terragen to Ued!!!
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Re: Terragen to Ued

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

Swanky used Terragen to create a skybox rather than an actual terrain. All renders in Terragen can be saved to BMP format that can consequently be used in UnrealEd as a texture.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

--=Aalexanderrr=-- wrote:Swanky used Terragen to create a skybox rather than an actual terrain. All renders in Terragen can be saved to BMP format that can consequently be used in UnrealEd as a texture.
However, I also saw a tutorial somewhere about really "terragen to Ued", and you can do beautifull landscapes for your map. I don't know where I saw the tutorial (otherwise I would place here a link of course), but basically you had to export the terrain itself to a Ued compatible format, the rendering on the terrain to bmp files (the textures), and once imported, all you had to do was make all the terrain unlit (to improve performance) and aplly the terragen textures with bNoSmooth=True.

Advantages of this is obviouslly a good quality landscape with a very good performance and "lighting" already apllied, the disadvantages is that since bNoSmooth must be apllied and bUnlit set to True, at close range it won't look that good and you must do the environment lighting (buildings, sun, etc) right to fit the texture "lighting" from terragen, otherwise it won't look right.

So as for me: make the terrain in a 3d modelling program that can export to dxf or t3d or just vertex edit (tesselated cubes), and then aplly and align the textures, since that way it will look much better at close range and you can change your lighting anytime, but of course, if you make something a bit more complex, at medium to long range it will lag more, but not everything depends on the usage you're going to give to the terrain itself in the map.

And like Alex said, that program is best suited to make skyboxes than actual terrain for maps, although you can do terrains and the bmp rendering there and then import to Ued like you want.
Filipe
Experienced

Post by Filipe »

make the terrain in a 3d modelling program that can export to dxf or t3d
If i do that, How can i import that then?
Diehard
Novice

Post by Diehard »

Actually i have seen super cool results when using Terragen to create landscapes. So for that matter i highly recommend it.

And here is a mirror for the article that was mentioned: Terragen2 Unreal SilverIbex

And have a look at this map which is made by SilverIbex: DM-TerraExample.zip

So as far as myself concernes i would certainly like to see more cool maps made with TerraGen.
Filipe
Experienced

Post by Filipe »

That locks awesome. really thanks :tu:
Filipe
Experienced

Post by Filipe »

Justa little test i made
Attachments
Terra.jpg
Diehard
Novice

Post by Diehard »

Yep, looks cool :)

And thats TerraGen's power, you can make real smooth natural looking surfaces.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

To bad only that it is a pain in the ass to light the terrain. I mean unlike the UnrealEd 2.1 (Unreal 1 227g patch), UT`s Ed does not offer "Lighting Only"
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Filipe
Experienced

Post by Filipe »

To bad only that it is a pain in the ass to light the terrain. I mean unlike the UnrealEd 2.1 (Unreal 1 227g patch), UT`s Ed does not offer "Lighting Only"
Its not that hard - I use zone lighting and then use a powerfull spotlight where the sun is.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

One question - How much control does Terragen give you over how you build it? What are the limitations?
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Filipe
Experienced

Post by Filipe »

Ive just saved the shader(Black and white Map) of the terrain done in TerraGen and open it in Milkshape with a function that converts that shader to 3d (to the same thing you see in terragen) and you can edit (a little) the shader in terragen so you can have some control on it.

Well if you think you don´t need terragen, just paint a image with a program just with black and white the more black the more lower the zone will be there, import that image/shader with the milkshape funtion. Of course the one done in terragen will be bether.