MH-Portal

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
gopostal

MH-Portal

Post by gopostal »

An homage to the game "Portal". If you've played it you'll recognize a lot. Download is big but I packaged everything it needed.

MH-Portal
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: MH-Portal

Post by Creavion »

Wow.. even larger than my last release...

But why the heck did you named your files partly with numbers ONLY. I could slap you for that. Good thing I have a "Custom UT directory" for uhm spammy files like those...
Can not say that much to the map, not much time to test it..since I was already stuck in that pretty empty bigger commando room or something like that. IMO to much messages / intro. I was not even able to confront at least one ememy...

I would suggest you to show some screenshots.. normally thats a matter of course.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

All those files are previously released packs. The only two custom ones I created are portalsnds and portaltex, the rest come from other maps so it was their creator that named them.

This map needs another week but honestly I'm very pressed for time. If anyone is a fan of Portal, please feel free to take off with this and make it better. There hasn't been a major MH map release in a while, and considering the overall slowdown of UT/MH lately I thought this might help in some small way. I'm really no mapper but the framework is here for a pretty good time if someone could do it up right.

And yes there is a bunch of soundwork. It's a deliberate effort to slow the play down and deal with maprushers. There are any number of run-n-gun MH maps but few that try to tell a story. Different map styles will appeal to different people, like I cannot stand ATAA type maps. I'd much rather explore and find surprises than kill 37,023 brutes in a row.

I'll add some screens later today.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Maybe you are more the type of "unreal single player" mapping, al least I think that. The beginning would fit much better for that.

BTW: I did not really know what to do in the empty big commando room. Like I said, such puzzles are pretty goood for sp, but in MH I would prefer more the Serious Sam style... maybe not that much enemies, but not really hardcore sp elements as well, since they are actually interesting for the first time only.

@Releases: You said it.. but take a look on utzone.de (german site I know, but it does not matter). On the right side you can clearly see the newest map releases for all UTs. While nearly every second or third day several - mostly ut3 maps were added some months ago, it looks pretty dead now. It does not matter which UT you are mapping for. For no one it can be really said, its lively, altough I see for the oldy ut the better chances.. (if a certain patch would be allowed to come with some new features ... which would requiere Epics permission first..)

@Mayor MH release: Right.. I guess the last one was made by myself.. long time ago. Havent seen anything else in the meantime. But its funny enough that planetmonsterhunt does not really care for new releases. Strange site.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I just played MH-Portal1, is that yours too?

I want to ask about the animal pack that came with it. Where can I get that?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, it's my hack-ass attempt at mapping a bunch of cubes together with some semi-interesting crap tossed in. Here's the pack:
Animal_Pack1.zip
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
There's some pretty good animals in there. The rats are my favorite but the geese are pretty sweet too.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Thanks.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Animals?? ...are there some see living Animals too??
I want to make a Map ... little bit Oil-rig style. and I need some see-live
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

JackGriffin wrote:Yeah, it's my hack-ass attempt at mapping a bunch of cubes together with some semi-interesting crap tossed in. Here's the pack:
Animal_Pack1.zip
There's some pretty good animals in there. The rats are my favorite but the geese are pretty sweet too.
Yeah, know that pack as well, since I used it for a map, where I used more or less any animal I could have found.

paper: problem with animals in DM maps at least... killing them could count as frag AFAIK.
About to be non-active
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

you can disable this ....or am I wrong?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

papercoffee wrote:you can disable this ....or am I wrong?
???
About to be non-active
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Creavion wrote:
papercoffee wrote:you can disable this ....or am I wrong?
???
kill goal to false or not ....? ...please help some one I don't know if I talk bullshit right now. :help:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

papercoffee wrote: kill goal to false or not ....? ...please help some one I don't know if I talk bullshit right now. :help:
It happens that it was supposed to be that way, but in a deathmatch it seems that doesn't work, as you have "score" and "fragcount".
Jack tested that out with something he made, and as far as I can remember, it just makes your fragcount not be affected, while the score will still count those (something like that, not sure either).
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yep, did that for the zombies in DM-ATypicalMall. The only solution I found (and it does work just fine) is

Code: Select all

function ScoreKill(Pawn Killer, Pawn Other)
{
	if ((Killer.bIsPlayer) && (Other.IsA('ScriptedPawn')))
	{
		Killer.PlayerReplicationInfo.Score -= 1;
	}

}
Since you get your score for the kill and it is taken away in the same tick there isn't an issue. The player never sees it and the game never registers it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

aha ...sounds cool ....how do I implement this in a Map ?