I'll update this post whit decisions about the map and any other important information about it.
The map will be released as both DM and DOM. You can play whichever you want.
I'm keeping all the versions archived. If somebody needs one just PM me.
Current map state:
old7 old6 old5 old5 old4 old3 old2 old1
Old download link removed
When making a new section I advise to DELETE all non adjacent sections. It will make your rebuilds faster and merging easier. It's the easiest to merge if you only include your section in your upload.
The map is currenly at 8 megabytes... I wonder how much it will grow...
There is no need to wait for others if you see that they are working. You can start building from any placeholder brush. Make a placeholder post where you specify where you are building if you don't want others to take that place while you are working. Maps will be merged, when that happens it get uploaded to this first post.
Thank you. Good luck whit mapping.
rules and guidelines for phase 1 wrote:
This is an open mapping project. Everyone is invited to contribute.
• You build from existing replace-me brushes. You replace this brush and replace-me textures around it. Don't touch geometry that's not part of the red replace-me brush
• There are 2 types of rooms: New Rooms and Connector Rooms.
• Each New Room is build from a replace-me brush must have at least 2 new replace-me brushes from where others can continue building from.
• Each Connector Room connects 2 rooms by building the space between 2 replace-me brushes. These can have new replace-me brushes but it's not obligatory.
• You may edit the room you made after you posted it. If you edit it, you must edit the original post and make a new post to notify all of us. You may not change the location of replace-me brushes.
• You may not edit other people's rooms. You may ask them to edit it.
• The visual quality of the rooms must be at least of Deck16][.unr or better. Anything that's made of 5 cubes or that is seizure inducing will probably be dropped.
• The room should fit into a 1024x1024x512 area. Anything much more bigger than that won't be accepted.
• All of the contributed rooms must be as finished as possible. Think about it as a small part of a finished map. Add lighting, path node, a player start and inventory.
Use your common sense
• Try to keep the style consistent. Sudden changes hurt the map. There is no need to jump into futuristic style from ancient style. Let the map evolve.
• Don't build over the area of other replace-me brushes if you're making a New Room.
• Don't go excessive on any aspect.
• Don't fill your room whit playerstarts and weapons.
• Don't put too much work into a single room. We know that you're a really awesome mapper but this is not the place to show that off. Keep the quality level and style consistent.
• Your room will get connected whit other rooms. Don't do anything that affects these too much. For example: no floodlights
• We're not interested in how much polys you can compress into a single room. Rooms whit over 250 in view won't be accepted. Note that your room will get connected whit others.
How to contribute?
• Post a placeholder post where you specify which replace-me brush you build from or which ones you connect.
• Color the replace-me brushes to red (255,0,0). You can do this by right clicking >> properties >> brush. You set the color and to override default coloring.
• Use the groups. Add replace-me brushes into the existing "Extendable" group. Make a new group for every new room you make. Each section group name is authorname+room number
• There is a new comment actor. Use it. You can use it to reveal info about you room or how you'd like someone to extend it.
These rules and definitions may sound weird but they are necessary to keep the work-flow consistent.
We accept all the new ideas. If you have one that's worth sharing you're invited to post this. Because of this some rules may bend.
The more you keep and follow these rules and guidelines the less work we'll have in phase 2.
Thanks for understanding.
If you have any further questions feel free to ask.