(RX)CTF-Alexa

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Re: (RX)CTF-Alexa

Post by GenMoKai »

you need to learn EVERYTHING they say to you

Oke im glad that came out... sorry but dont you really see what we are trying to tell you?

The map sucks...Lighting sucks... like an kiddo just placed random light sources with disco effect *OEH !! Look at me! Im dancing!!" THAT is crap... i know even better maps wich has more humor then this... It melted my eyes... im completely blind... i havent sleep for days.... cause this image is stuck and burned into my eye lens... To bad they melted away but i have the image also burned like a big scar in my brain!

Owke back to serious me...

What you have to learn

- proper brush/build skills
(cause the size of the brushes are like... non-logical... stranges sizes... the most and normal used sizes are 32,64,96,128,256,512,1024,768 etc... and i DONT see any one of those... im glad its an simple map... else it will be BUG/HOM/ICH heaven!)
- Architecture
(owke... its... square? And thats it... a bit more decoration CAN help... it doensnt need to be much... but a little bit more wouldn't kill ya)
- Light skills... (duh)
(Where do the light came from? Ow wait...from nowhere :o sounds logical... not...)
- Gameplay
(owke i say i dont know much from RX or what else... but this is... 1? 2? how many directions can i fly to? Not much... not much variation)
- Pathing
(271 Pathnodes for this?! I can bet you... i can cut the amount in half and still works...)

I think im clear so far... i'd like to help you... BUT please accept our help first :S cause how you sound now is... well... noobish? A good mapper is a mapper that accept critism...

blablabla

An nother word here

And one here

And NOW i want to drink a beer in this early morning... im done with it... Couldnt say in silence for any longer :confused2:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

GenMoKai wrote: I think im clear so far... i'd like to help you... BUT please accept our help first :S cause how you sound now is... well... noobish? A good mapper is a mapper that accept critism...
I guess the problem is that he does not KNOW that his maps are that bad. If "his" community really acclaim him for that stuff, I don`t wonder why he can not understand what we are trying to say.. for days now?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

Acid.OMG wrote:thats good info and all. but you still didnt tell me what there is to learn exactly? I can't seem to imagine it to be more difficult than making a mover. which I still have yet to bother learning and up until this last tutorial I had no clue on how to cut and vertex edit brushes.
I kinda see your problem regarding mapping. Level design must not be regarded as "virtual playground for players who don't give a crap". Level design is more than that. Level design is all about making player feel like if he is in another realistic world that lives its own life. Making player believe the whole setup is one of the main goals of level design. In addition, don't think of levels as of bunch of brushes stacked together - technical aspect is only the way of achieving whatever you want, not the main purpose.

Having said that, I personally would play loads of custom high quality maps ( FoT packs and such) and see how authors made their levels stand out. Take a look at refference pictures (this is a good start - http://weburbanist.com/category/abandonments/ ) and try tranforming those into playable maps. Last but not the least suggestion ( which is a bit subjective but whatever, it helps me) - smoke some good stuff. Don't abuse it of course - it may end up being really bad but in small quantities it is good.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Feralidragon wrote: Indeed. Some maps have too much detail, which either [...] 2) Distracts the player from actually playing and seeing the map around instead
Disagree, this only happens to mappers. Before I started mapping I never paid that much attention to all the glorious detail. Now I just nose around in walls and decorative brushes instead of playing whenever I chance upon a gorgeous UT (or any game) map.
Feralidragon wrote:Each and every single one of those maps are a lot more detailed than the one shown above, and they are more complex and much better, yet they are for SLV only and most of them play really really nice (no lag and lots of fun to say the truth).
Thanks, hun. We gave our best :D

Acid.OMG wrote: xxx how dare you. I ma not a nub

lol I never said I coudl do advanced architecture and all I said was I know how to light a map and it was never brought up but I do use path nodes, I mean as far as lgihting tutorials, how much more can there be to learn? please describe.
You're either a noob or a damned troll. If you've only ever once made a water zone and can't figure out (with or without tutorials) how a simple mover works then you're a damned noob. The fact that you're locked in a perpetual self-denial that RX/SLV maps shouldn't have/need compelling visuals only cements these claims.

There's a LOT more for you to learn, for example: how to do good lighting, how to do complex/compelling architecture, how to make your map visually appealing, how to add atmosphere, how to make a RX/SLV map with good gameplay, and these are just the basics. In short, your design is overly simplistic in the architectural department, horrendously boring gameplay wise (saying this as an avid SLV player/mapper) and looks like ass. The worst part is that all your maps look like different distended states of the same old ass. Seriously, if you're so oblivious to the fact that you're nowhere near even average with UnrealED then you might as well leave since it's fairly obvious you're not going to make anything worth playing unless you learn some humility and learn a f****** thing or two about mapping.

Sigh.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

good speech, Madis (on the whole I fully agree).
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.