Mask Textures?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Winegums
Novice

Mask Textures?

Post by Winegums »

Hi guys,

Anyone happen to know how to make mask textures? or can point me to a tutorial, I find a lot for ut3 etc but not for ut99! I'm looking to create a dust partial type texture :P

Thanks
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Mask Textures?

Post by Feralidragon »

Basically when making a masked texture, once you convert it to a 8 colors bitmap or pcx, the first color on the index is the color that will be masked (invisible).

To make it masked in UT99, there are 2 ways (there are actually 3, but one of them doesn't work properlly):
1) When using Ued to import the texture, below there are 2 options: MipMaps and Masked, letting MipMaps on or off is with you, but if you want it masked, check the Masked checkbox.
2) In case you import it in a normal way, you just have to set the property: Display > Style: STY_Masked, of the actor your texture is on.

Just a little note though, when using Masked textures, never but NEVER make it Translucent at the middle of a game, since when you make a Masked texture Translucent, then you make it Masked again or spawn another actor with the same Masked texture, it looses its mask and it will be rendered as a normal texture. It's a bug of the engine itself (not the render), so please keep this in mind.
Winegums
Novice

Re: Mask Textures?

Post by Winegums »

Thanks Feralidragon totally forgot about my post and carried on trying to get masked textures. In the end I found a work around, I made a small vid tut .. although your way seems much simpler but wasn't working for me.

http://www.own3d.tv/video/30982/Masked_ ... realed_2.0

Thanks again