Collab Mapping #01 Let's finish this.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Collab Mapping #01 Phase 2/3

Post by Myth »

okay then, as i see that there is minimum interest, once again I'll just sit back and hope that something will come along.

Maybe something will happen this decade.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Forum is without many activities atm anyway. Even I visit it barely for some weeks.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

hi there,

i downloadad the file from the link above just to see the map, but i encountered a problem:
tha map is (or looks like) blank when I open it in ued

however the file itself is not empty, it contains 9Mbites of data...

...and not a single error message is given.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

That's simple: there are missing files. When loading up the map in the editor, if it has content but appears to be blank, it's because it didn't load at all due to a missing file.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

and how could i find out exactly what files are missing?
cos i really would like to download and take a look at the latest version of the map...
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

I must say i was surprised that things went so smoothly when this started.
Now the activity is far below the freezing-point.

@Gergo:
I hope these help:
• Make sure you downloaded and extracted this
• If you open the map whit unrealtournament.exe it will always write on the screen what's missing.
• Open the log in the editor and then open the map. The log will contain what the editor is doing.
• The editor can't understand long strings. If I recall well it doesn't open anything whit full path longer than 32 characters.
• The map doesn't use anything more than a standard installation of UT and the 4 official bonus packs. Link

I can see that you are also a mapper. If you've got the time, feel free to help out whit this map.

@forum: Your holidays are over. The second collab doesn't start until we somehow finish this one.
I myself don't really have time for this but if someone comes up whit something I'll stay awake all night just to merge the map for you and to respond to your messages.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

thanks!

succesfuly downloaded and installed, now i can walk around.

and thanks for the invitation, as soon as i have some time, i will start look it over throrougly to get acquainted with it.
Yet all i see it is huge and nice :), and the statue-room with the pit-room really need some connection outwards as well :)

btw now who is working on the elevator? :)
renegade or papercoffe or both or neither? :)
LeviKOS
Average

Post by LeviKOS »

Myth, I played the map in its current state. Was there any limit of playerstarts in a room? My first room is one of the more visited :| It has 2 playerstarts. Also, there is a brush ordering problem with Aalexanderrs room and GenMoKai's cave.

Since nobody has taken any replamebrushes, I'll take those three in renegade's room, ok?
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

I fixed that brush ordering once... I don't know why it is like that.

Yeah it's okay.

I'm still hoping that this will be finished this year.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

well, then,
seeing that the "elevator room" project is abandoned, i shall do some stuff if nobady makes objections. Nice ideas came into my mind now. :)

To introduce myself: i am a lame ut player, but i always liked mapping ever since i got to know this game, and i consider myself a somwhat better than average mapper. However one of my great defect is i do not know any programing, so i do not understand the ut script language either, and therefore i cannot go beyond some limits.
irl i am 25-year-old architect-engineer and live in hungary.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

SzGergo wrote:well, then,
seeing that the "elevator room" project is abandoned, i shall do some stuff if nobady makes objections. Nice ideas came into my mind now. :)

To introduce myself: i am a lame ut player, but i always liked mapping ever since i got to know this game, and i consider myself a somwhat better than average mapper. However one of my great defect is i do not know any programing, so i do not understand the ut script language either, and therefore i cannot go beyond some limits.
irl i am 25-year-old architect-engineer and live in hungary.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Suddenly i wish i had time for some mapping now...
It's been proven to me that I'm worse than an average mapper so I can't wait to see something awesome from a somewhat better than average mapper.

@Madis: Haven't you always wanted to help on this by mapping?
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

oh, why had i to be so immodest, now i really can not come up whit some shity map-fragment if i don't want to disappoint you. :)
Btw i think the most time-consuming part in mapmaking is figuring out what and how one would like to create _exactly_.

as for the elevator room:
the geometry for the upper station is more or less ready.
I really did not want to overkill, but connecting editorDave's and papercoffee's rooms with the elevator shaft by a credible way needed quite a detailed geometry with much polys.
Clipboard01.jpg
in the picture you can see the geometry of the upper station and the lifthasft.
Coming from editorDave's room, you exit through the triangular door into a half demolished temple room. From there you can fall down directly through a hole in the floor to the elevator's vestibule. The vestibule is connected to papercoffees stair-room.
Or instead of dropping you may turn right and exit from the temple room through the demolished masonry into a cavern wich was excavated during the construction of the facility (for some additional rooms, but it was never completed), from here you may enter into the uncompleted white-brick room, which is basically the vestibule of the elevator. This way you can come back up either.

The lower station will be more simple. :)

(((Connection to Whiteys room can be easily created later, if the gameplay reqires that)))

I
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

haha, i really don't think this map will flow very well.
When i get one 2moro night ill choose a "replace me" to expand from.
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Myth wrote:Suddenly i wish i had time for some mapping now...
It's been proven to me that I'm worse than an average mapper so I can't wait to see something awesome from a somewhat better than average mapper.

@Madis: Haven't you always wanted to help on this by mapping?
I do, but I have my hands incredibly full working on NR right now, and I can barely find any time to work on those maps, as well.

If this finishes and we'll do another collab map, I'll help out for sure, but I have so many colossal maps to build for NR I can't imagine where I could find the time to work on anything else, especially since I'm a super busy student as well :(
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile