Collab Mapping #01 Let's finish this.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Collab Mapping #01 Let's finish this.

Post by editor Dave »

Yay, Myth is back! When everybody agrees with your suggestion it is the best if you will build the different parts with big cuboids so that everyone knows the exact sizes.

Maybe I can build something in the next weekend...
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Yes, if everyone agrees we can have 3 mappers working on rooms A B and D, if it's needed I can place a few brushes for guidance.
and as soon as we have the rough layout someone can start on room C.

I'll put the image on the first post too.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Whatever you guys finish, I'll put up a dedicated server running it alone. I'll guarantee it will see online play, no matter the end product. Good on you guys for your work!
So long, and thanks for all the fish
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

i have some ideas:

first, if you fall down, there is only two way back up: the teleport, and the central lift. I think it is a bit two few.
I think that dropdown from "dave4" to room D rather should be an elevator from "D" to "A" than a simple drop.

Then, i personaly really don't like teleports. Actualy a nice idea came into my mind:
I feel like i could build a transportation device that would take one from alex's acid pit to room "D" or room "C" within 5-6 secounds. (room C or D, whatever is considered better flow-wise, and according to that i would take room "C" or "D")
Basicaly it would be a suspended lift running on two rails, just like the one in my central elevator room.

It would travel through a tunnel from a small station behind the "access control" door in the acid pit room to my room C or D. I think i would set up two elevator cars for each direction, running on the same track, but prohibiting counter-movement.
This would connect the two desired locations without those teleporters i hate so much, also could emhasize the feeling that the map is not just the mixture of rooms, but a whole facility. Plus, it could create some unusual situation in gameplay, such when the returning platform become chased by the other platform.

So, may i take C or D?
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

I'm willing to help.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

@JackGriffin: Thank you, this would be really great. Is it also possible to schedule a beta test before the release?

@Gergo: Yes, an elevator would be indeed better.
That transportation device you want on rails is not a good idea because those 5 seconds would be really frustrating for death-match players. Teleporters work well in DM maps, see deck and gothic for example. I don't like teleporters either but we're running out of options.

You can start building your elevator (it's youre suggestion after all) in room D and prepare to put in a teleporter there.

@everyone: I'm going to take room C now and finish it as soon as I can. Then it should be easier to fill in the holes.

@Isotoxin: Yes, you can help. If you want to map, can choose between room A or B. You can find existing bugs. You can make suggestions for any other part of the map.

After these new rooms get finished, It would be best if we make a few more modifications to the rest of the map. We can break down a wall and add a section to rooms that are dead end or don't have many routes.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

Also, we should open a google doc or whatever all the participant can edit easily to write a buglist.
When time comes for debugging, not a single also-known bug will be forgotten that way.

I think geometry should be refined at some places i think there are a lot of bspcut-intensive small objects with vertices floating off-grid that should be more like semisolid than solid.

Also anybody should note down any ideas or suggestions on visuals and details that could be considered in the future when the map is almost ready.
Eg.: X.Y. points out that the vivid sapphire-blue ventillation-fan texture looks awkward in the brownish bricky and rusty environment, and if everybody agrees, it can be easily replaced by a brownish fan texture, or the contrast can be soothed by changing the settings of lighting nearby. After everityhing else imortant is ready, of course.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Myth wrote:@JackGriffin: Thank you, this would be really great. Is it also possible to schedule a beta test before the release?
Certainly. I'm off tomorrow, I'll get it ready. I know it's early but then you won't have to wait. In fact, it might encourage devs here to have a platform available to test on. I was planning on shuttering Dane's Pron Server anyway. It's not really my thing and I was just carrying it for him after he closed his servers. The source code for the pron mod has been downloaded a bunch so I expect to see other servers pop up soon anyway.

I'll convert it out and donate it to UT99's usage. Who shall I post the access information to, you or Ferali?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

Myth wrote:That transportation device you want on rails is not a good idea because those 5 seconds would be really frustrating for death-match players. Teleporters work well in DM maps, see deck and gothic for example. I don't like teleporters either but we're running out of options.
hmm... true, you are right.
Covering that distance in 5-6 secounds still requires the lift to travel unrealisticly fast. A journey time any longer than this will make a quick dm player even more mad. Any shorter journey time will make the lift move like a jet fighter.

Than, the neext question is where and how should my elevator pop up? into room A or D?
Actualy not an explicit answer is needed here :), basicaly i and the creator of room A (or D?) will have to cooperate a bit to set up the vertical connection.
well, i will start sketching, and when some nice ideas come into my mind i will let you all know
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Dave's 4th section has an opening right above room D. Use that.

Check out the older post i made, i have a picture.
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

So, I just gotta make a separated room?

Oh, Nvm, i'll be making B.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

oh, how did i not noticed it!
Nr. 1158 brush textured as "replace me".

Ok. i have got some idea. My room would be a narrow construction pit, cutting through the ancient hallways, with some tall techy construction equipment in the middle. Some kind of drill, or excavator including a small service elevator. Accidentaly it is positioned so that players can acces the destroyed hallway connecting to daves room from it.
The whole scene is intended to suggest that during the construction of the foundations of the techy facility the workers recklessly destroyed some parts of the ancient temple beneath it. Then the whole stuff became abandonded before it ever got finished.

I read this story here before, and it is quite a good tale to verify the mixed theme.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Can we make it clear which rooms are taken or being worked on.
I'm confused :P
But I'd be glad to help build something.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

I think those who build A (not chosen yet) and B (Isotoxin) should wait for Myth's room C. SzGergo (who builds room D), I'm interested in your result :)
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

Sure, i'll wait, just made a simple sharp of what i'm going to make.