CTF-BloodGulch (WIP)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
HardPCM
Novice
Personal rank: Bloody Toasted

CTF-BloodGulch (WIP)

Post by HardPCM »

Hello, and this is my first post here.

I am currently working on a remake of the HaloCE BloodGulch map for ut99.
There some screenshots:

DOWNLOAD HERE:
http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=7838

Enjoy, :rock:
Last edited by HardPCM on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: CTF-BloodGulch (WIP)

Post by Myth »

Welcome to our forums. Your first post is a brave one indeed.

@your map:
I didn't play this halo map but I'm sure it had vehicles. UT99 doesn't have any proper vehicles, so you can't really remake it. Running a great distance from one base to another whit only a few sand hills seperating them isn't much fun. So i suggest adding somethings between bases, for example, covers, underground bunkers whit tunnel system, an oasis whit a redeemer in the middle, sniping towers, higher areas, climbable parts on that cliff on the side. Many things can be done. I see a lot of potential.

Also:
• Having a snowy mountains and a desert level doesn't make ANY sense.
• Those dark lines in the sand look UGLY AS HELL.
• Remove stock unreal trees, they don't grow in sand and look UGLY AS HELL.
• Decide from which direction the sunlight comes. It usually comes from 1 direction.

Good luck whit your map, keep working on it.

Edit: ok i checked this image of the original map:
http://joannadark.free.fr/images/halo/bloodgulch.jpg
Make sure you include those side paths. If you stay as close as possible to the original map, those two side paths in the cliffs are ESSENTIAL, especially cause UT99 doesn't have those vehicles.
Last edited by Myth on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Looks like a decent Strangelove (bombing run) map.

Do you think you could release a Bombing Run version of this map as well?
• Having a snowy mountains and a desert level doesn't make ANY sense.
You know, you could have snowy mountains even in a tropical environment. It all depends on the altitude.
• Those dark lines in the sand look UGLY AS HELL.
I actually like those lines, they bring out the features of the landscape
• Remove stock unreal trees, they don't grow in sand and look UGLY AS HELL.
Agreed, use some better looking decorations, some of the 'Plant' decorations in UT look rather ok, and you could rip some trees and vegetation out of UT2004
• Decide from which direction the sunlight comes. It usually comes from 1 direction.
Agreed! The shadows on those base structures look hilariously bad.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
HardPCM
Novice

Post by HardPCM »

I have already test strange love for fun , there enought room to play and I have already do some fix to avoid SLV players to go too high or behind the montains' geometry.
About Bombing Run, no problem if I get a playable map.

Thanks for the comments.
8)
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

i Agree with myth about those vehicles. But some people are working at vehicle mods in UT, maybe you can use those if they are ready?

For the rest the map looks pretty awesome
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

On a map like that, if you want to play with vehicles, here's the list of what it's considered good:

- Jets / Hover cars (don't know the name of the mod, but go to an RX or to the Wharthog server, and some maps have them);
- StrangeLove;
- Rocket-X;
- U2Vehicles;

Those are the only vehicle mods I know which are actually good, everything else isn't that good. And in case you find a "UT99 Onslaught with Halo vehicles", don't use them, they're a trap!! lol Really, anything you see from "UT99 Onslaught" isn't anyhow good for you or even your UT install health.
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Feralidragon wrote:And in case you find a "UT99 Onslaught with Halo vehicles", don't use them, they're a trap!! lol Really, anything you see from "UT99 Onslaught" isn't anyhow good for you or even your UT install health.
Really? I remember trying that mod, albeit with another UT installation. How is it bad for your installation's health?
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

Pretty bad ass i'll admit, But... BloodGulch really is only fun because of the vehicles in it.
It would be the same as remaking sidewinder for UT, again a map only fun because of the carnage you make with all the vehicles. These maps are just to big for a UT99 map.

If you do continue to add to this i hope you go with the Halo 2 version as it has more obstacles and objects around the place rather than the first halo version of BloodGulch. Which might suffice for how open the map is.

anyway will be good to see when it's done.
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

jm_bg_desert02.zip
(398.24 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Style example:
jm_bg_desert02.gif
however, directly extracted from ut2004, dds format with alpha. It would take me to much time now to edit them for ut1, damn it.. its way to retarded that uengine 1 does not have Texture Clamping... makes this skybox stuff way to difficult.
Remove stock unreal trees, they don't grow in sand and look UGLY AS HELL.
http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1660
...But I'm against total replacement of old good Unreal foliage. It is ok for me to create additional foliage pack though.
I know.. not understandable for us..
Decide from which direction the sunlight comes. It usually comes from 1 direction.
Oh yearh... you mention an important point here.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

Creavion wrote:
Decide from which direction the sunlight comes. It usually comes from 1 direction.
But we already have discovered binary systems exist.
So to say a light source only comes from 1 direction is misinformed and not always correct.
The movie pitch black depicts a planet with 3 suns. and shows difference in lighting through out the movie.
scientists even believe there can be up to 6 or 7 suns in a solar system.

So although i understand what you both are explaining. It is a bit of a big step to say his lighting is wrong. Just assuming his map is from the milky way?
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

[did]Madis wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:And in case you find a "UT99 Onslaught with Halo vehicles", don't use them, they're a trap!! lol Really, anything you see from "UT99 Onslaught" isn't anyhow good for you or even your UT install health.
Really? I remember trying that mod, albeit with another UT installation. How is it bad for your installation's health?
Well, the standalone mod doesn't really do anything wrong in your install, just does the job of a any mod in UT. However, the guy in question released a compilation of his UT99 Onslaught and UT2004 weapons for UT (along with some "ported lol" maps), but basically as a UT install: it brings the whole system of UT like if it was a new game. And although it should be placed as a new folder in UT, anyone can easilly just paste the mod and replace the engine files, screwing up UT and giving you mismatches on online play.
My brother once downloaded the mod for his laptop, and it was by luck that he installed it right, although I said to him to never download such mod again, although he didn't like it a bit either lol
Plus, making such release is totally illegal, although somehow moddb accepted, leading me to think they accept everything or that the moderator doesn't know a thing about UT.

Trust me, absolutelly everything with the name BlackCheetah in it is not worth the try (although you can evaluate that by yourself), as he is the perfect example in absolutelly all the UT community on what you should NOT do (be in coding or release), and I am including even the coders that are just starting to play with the engine.

Whitey wrote:
Creavion wrote:
So to say a light source only comes from 1 direction is misinformed and not always correct.
The movie pitch black depicts a planet with 3 suns. and shows difference in lighting through out the movie.

So although i understand what you both are explaining. It is a bit of a big step to say his lighting is wrong. Just assuming his map is from the milky way?
Good one, fully agree :mrgreen: Although he said "usually" and not "always", so I think he's aware of that. But either ways there's a law that not even binary systems can escape from regarding lighting: light always has a source.
Having lights or shadows casted and no visible source, is just plain wrong. If the system is binary, each object in the map will always have 2 shadows, and always in the same direction relative to their light source, and the skybox will have to show 2 suns from the right directions.
[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Whitey wrote:
Creavion wrote:

Even in a binary or a tertiary system the shadows wouldn't be cast like this. Right now there's just some very messy lighting going on.
HardPCM
Novice

Post by HardPCM »

[did]Madis
Adept

Post by [did]Madis »

Screenshots please. Practically no one is just willing to DL something from you if you don't post some screens from the finished product.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

@Madis: it's the same as in the wip.

Well, I can't see anything changed myself.
Nice caves :)

How come only one of the bases has that sniper spot behind the base?