BT-DEADSPACE

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: BT-DEADSPACE

Post by papercoffee »

@ Creavion ....drink more coffee ....coffee is your friend and helps you to stay awake ...or to drive you crazy. :mrgreen:

@ All ... ok how do I play this game mode???
I'll search some videos on youtube now
robin13
Experienced
Personal rank: NaliSlayer

Post by robin13 »

papercoffee wrote:@ Creavion ....drink more coffee ....coffee is your friend and helps you to stay awake ...or to drive you crazy. :mrgreen:

@ All ... ok how do I play this game mode???
I'll search some videos on youtube now
your pretty fucked if you dont know this mode. (yea,im a noob in BT too >_>)
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
Napoleon Bonaparte
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

? is the sounds file valid or? I won't cause version mismatches by adding it to a server.
Retired.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Well the map looks great :tu: But an little advice... some brushes have some crooked textures... For walls and stuff (take example to brush272) take a look at the back wall... if you align it to wall and then select: right mouse button to brush -> Polygons -> Merge. That would make it a bit more smoother (and reduces the cost of poly's ingame ^^)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
INF3C71ON
Novice

Post by INF3C71ON »

TheDane wrote:? is the sounds file valid or? I won't cause version mismatches by adding it to a server.
I only used original UT sounds so u should have no problem
XBL: INF3C71ON aka -dsm.madman- -dsm. and -=NEP=- Former Clan Leader
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Great stuff.
I'm not really into BT myself... so I couldn't finish it whit out cheating. I got until the vents where I'm supposed to dodge jump below the lasers and not falling down at the same time.
Geometry, texturing are all very awesome whit some really good ideas here and there. The closed rooms at the start are really build up the expectations and when you see the space whit your own eyes trough the windows and floors, it's really awesome. Even if the sky is just copy pasted from CTF-Face. It looks awfully like the one in CTF-Face. The title of the map sucks a bit at the dead part. What's dead? The space? I can clearly see an earth down there. You know that planet that has 80% water on it's surface and makes life possible.
Oh I get it, the space station was recently abandoned because somebody got killed in the flag room for taking the flag, and all those walls lost their color and got darker because the maintenance guy doesn't work there anymore.

I can say that there is definitely room for improvement on the lighting. The map is too dark in a bad way. There are these dark spots here and there and reminds me of the poor lighting job Deck16][ has. I think this is to make the 'dead' theme better fit the whole map. But you can't have dozens of light sources crammed into a room and leave it dark. Fewer working lights whit bigger radius-es and more contrast at the light source would have helped a lot. Where are the flickering lights that barely work cause they were damaged by angry little midgets who assassinated the flag carrier? Why does the lava look like tomato soup?
A really awesome thing that could have been done is to attach dynamic lights to the moving lasers. Sure it costs more performance and it doesn't make any shadows but it would have been a downright awesome effect to have.

You can use multiple light objects per light source to make them look better or more realistic. Light in real life doesn't have a linear falloff and above all that it can bend, reflect, refract.

BT gameplay? As I've started this post i'm not much of a BT player. Those high velocity lasers at the beginning that require very good timing clearly state that I MEAN SERIOUS BUSINESS, IF YOU CAN'T BT, GO AWAY. My questing here is: did you test it online? I think that any ping beyond 100 makes it very brutal, but I hope I'm wrong.

It was a great experience. I can't deny that. I wish I had the skill and time to complete it whit-out cheating. Now I feel like a lamer :/

Congrats on this map. :)