Maps THUNDERBOLT

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Re: Maps THUNDERBOLT

Post by MEAT »

Creavion wrote:Deathmatch here, deathmatch there... the world can be flooded with DM maps. It was the same with my Antalius... "whaa not a DM map".. seriously. Does anybody want to count all the DM maps for UT? MH is like CTF and BT a rather popular gametype, maybe it is just his favorite gametype.
Wow chill dude...only asking.
I admire/envy those maps he made for MH.
I think they are works of art...of which I can't do.
That's why I ask/wish he would do the same for DM.
And as for DM maps, well it's probably the most popular mod made for UT.
Hence the quantity and lack of quality being offered.
So I agree...the world is flooded with DM maps...(of which lack essential character)
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Does it help for your understanding if I say I forgot the " :roll: "?

No seriously, I was not in that mood as you thought I would be.

But its really the case: DM is the most simple gametype, your maps dont have to be that complex (ok its cool with a lot of z-axis.. but not everybody is on a level like swanky...)
And of course, in most games the only everybody against everybody gametype. But I dont tell you anything new...
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
THUNDERBOLT
Novice

Post by THUNDERBOLT »

Hello People here some new maps from this year
(dU)Pharaoh2011-Final
http://www.fileplanet.com/220621/220000 ... 2011-Final
cknowledgements: To Genmokai for lending the statue of the pharaoh and the dog from your map
CTF Rawash (http://www.ut99.org/utr/rawash-ctf.html)
And "SOCK" For some egyptian textures.

(MHA)MysticalBridgeVFix
http://www.fileplanet.com/220603/220000 ... ge2011VFix

(MHA)Atomik2-Final
http://www.fileplanet.com/219192/210000 ... omik2Final

I hope like its :)
Last edited by THUNDERBOLT on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Looks really good. Does not seem you only got your stuff from ut2004.

But those sculptures: Do you want to keep them as semi-solids? That would be overkill, not only in terms of cpu calculation, but rather from the problems in terms of bsp holes, nodes and lighting as well.

Keep it up.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

omg ....the sphinx alone has more polys than any of my maps ......maybe my Northern Lights Map ...no not even this map.
What would you do with this statues?
I would try to convert em to a mesh.
THUNDERBOLT
Novice

Post by THUNDERBOLT »

The sculptures was converted in meshes, this are into file called THUNDERBOLTDecoEgypt2.U
this file I've shared with the community, so it can be used for any mapper ;)
The map was tested 3 times and it works well.
Enjoy it :highfive:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

THUNDERBOLT wrote:The sculptures was converted in meshes, this are into file called THUNDERBOLTDecoEgypt2.U
this file I've shared with the community, so it can be used for any mapper ;)
The map was tested 3 times and it works well.
Enjoy it :highfive:
and dont forget to mylevel them

obj load file=*your package name with file extension* package=Mylevel
About to be non-active
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Creavion wrote:Rofl, "MH-MonstersOfTheCaribbean". Plant and Ship. Original area?^^
Original.jpg
Edit: Reminds of me that situation...
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156&start=390

BTW: Not giving credits is not very nice. In my case .. well half acceptable, since I have ripped ut2004 stuff as well, but whats e.g with the 7 bullets system file in your others map archive? Hmm?

Well. Map: Rather cubic, but it looks better than your map with the 6 worlds. BTW: The palmtrees, specially the banana thingies. Look slightly stupid.. I mean, normally they are way smaller in RL, NOT that big. But anyway, your map has some nice ideas with the house or the volcano. Fortress/Castle on the other hand seems to be wrong in this kind of environment, maybe because of the gothic textures or rather most likely.
Furthermore you missed to check the skybox. Again: A size problem of the palm trees and the islands. In a skybox you have to build nearly everything smaller. Best example of how it should be done: DOM-WolfsBay or so (came with a bonuspack).
Also an other hint regarding the textures (for the next time): Choose ONE style, either colourful ut2004/farcry texturs or more serious ones (like Unreal, or Unreal 2), but do not try to mix them together, that sucks. Really.. a colourful sand texture and than a dark Unreal lowres rock texture, terrible. I know, its difficult, I also made it wrong some years ago. I also dont know how it can be teached at all. I figured it out by my own over time.

Actually, I don't think he has to give you a credit. Since the boat is copied from another map. Nalisazure, if i'm not mistaking. And a plant and a shit, Idk but, i saw that bout 1000000000000 times already.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

1. I also used third party stuff - the boat is coming from Fuhrpark 5. So, bad start, you are already mistaken.
2. some plants are actually stuff which was designed for me and then heavily modifed, also in this case I credited the one who made it on request for me. (several textures are also edited in Photoshop)
3. Oldunreal.com introduced even a new rule because of this recent incident: http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1307381492
11) If you've ripped, borrowed or used something from any game or mod and have not given credit or do not have the permission to use said mod or content do not post it here. You risk being banned and the thread will be removed. People work very hard on their creations, Give credit where credit is due!!
We might consider to add the rule here as well... depends on the users rationality and insight: We dont need an other Kaal.
4. What do you think happens if if I give legit credits to the people whose stuff and content I use while somebody else comes and just takes the stuff from my map and does not give a damn about giving credits? On this way formelly known content (in terms of people who were responsible for it) will turn "unknown". And on this way the original author wont get the respect, which he appertains.
5. It was also some kind of work to make it working in UEngine 1. Its a matter of principle. Besides I have barely or never seen it somewhere else. Of course you can show me a map where you have seen this...
6. Once you start ignoring of giving credits you will continue with that. And this shows disrespectfulness. No matter what. Besides: If you use Hour Indus Textures from any map where they are already myleveled, do you think the same? Only because the textures (by Hourences) were used countless times, it does not justify not giving of credits.
7. Ever read the news? You know what happened with people like Zu Guttenberg? You better dont underestimate the topic of giving credits (and not only because a lot of people around here or oldunreal or beyondunreal are very accurate with the topic of credits). thats a sensitive topic.
8. The quote is from an outdated post (Mon Nov 08, 2010) and the situation was already clarified a long time ago. No need to reheat this story.
About to be non-active
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Isotoxin wrote: Actually, I don't think he has to give you a credit. Since the boat is copied from another map. Nalisazure, if i'm not mistaking. And a plant and a shit, Idk but, i saw that bout 1000000000000 times already.
Pardon me, but where does Creavion say that Thunder has to give him credit? Like Creavion said, about UT2k4 stuff he ripped, credits are also imo unecessary if the content remains exactly the same as if anyone ripped it, modified material is another story. But he talked about the 7-bullets stuff which is original content from the team.

Plus, only because something was reused thousands of times, that doesn't discard the credits giving specially when the author(s) request to.
For instance, imagine you have a work to do, and you need images, I am sure the first thing you will do is type "google.com" and use the first image you find... but guess what, if your work is published or even if it's just to school, what you just did was "steal" that image and saying it's yours, plus many images on the web have rights on them so you cannot even use them for your stuff, even giving credits. However it's on the web and perhaps used in many places, but yet they're not yours.

For instance, everytime I need an image (at work), I have to create it most of the times or be absolutelly sure it's ok to use it. Even for a flash game I did for school once had all the images from me created from scratch, all because our teacher said to be carefull with that, and so to not have absolutelly any problem, I did my own.

And another thing: some modders go to the actual industry, specially when the studios look up something they liked. Imagine what is a studio finding something very good and wanting to contact who made it, who they will contact? Well, since you didn't give credits, besides your own most likelly, they will contact you, then you have 3 options: give out who actually made it and you will be seen with bad eyes, saying it was you and then 1 week later go to jail when they find out the truth or simply say you don't know and screwing who actually "helped" your "thing" to be possible in the first place.

I know this last example was a bit to the "extreme", I know, but yeah, credits are quite important and is exactly what keeps many software free and keeps order and organization among developers.
THUNDERBOLT
Novice

Post by THUNDERBOLT »

I agree with Creavion, this was already clarified above, it is not necessary to speak of it again.
Also agree to give credits to the original author, in fact I did in my last map (dU) Pharaoh2011, which not only is mine own textures, but also of Zock.
And I have asked for permission to "Genmokai" for sculptures of the pharaohs and the dog.
Suggest that if you want to talk about credits for authors builds another post for this.
Do not use this for it, Tanks.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

THUNDERBOLT wrote:Tanks
Well, here they are... Image Image Image

sorry I had a clown for breakfast ...he tastes funny. :mrgreen: