Mesh with volumic light problem

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Mesh with volumic light problem

Post by Metalfist »

I have this fan mesh in my map and volumic/fog lighting for lava, but the problem is that the mesh "shines" through the fog (while it's not unlit) in-game.
In the unrealed 3d viewport it displays properly though.
Is there a way to fix this or do I have to build a new brush/mover for it -.-?
I looked on the internet, but couldn't find anything :?
Attachments
in-game d3d
in-game d3d
meshlighting.jpg (91.12 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Re: Mesh with volumic light problem

Post by Shadow »

Which render device do you use? Surprisingly the software render draws meshes within fog correctly, but the others don't :D -.-
Last edited by Shadow on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

d3d lets it "shine" through (but I also added that below the screenshot).
OpenGL, d3d8, d3d9 displays it correctly (but I don't use those, because of speedissues and pc crashes)

So I should make a brush so it will be rendered correctly by every renderer?
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Yep brush would be an alternative. HA OpenGL pwnz, surprising that it crashes on your rig, which opengl render do you use and what graphics card do you own? I myself had have speed issues with OpenGL lately (UT was insanely fast), updating with the newest nvidia driver and using UTGLR 3.7 solved it for me
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

I have an ATI Radeon 4850, if I look down or up with OpenGL it speeds up.
I already tried the corefix (I have a quad core), but that didn't help, but I believe d3dx runs better on ATI's
First I tried out d3d8, but it crashed my pc too often so I tried out d3d9, but that one crashed my graphic card sometimes(stripes on my screen etc.)
and these renderers only have a basic xfire support. Also the lights look weird on some maps, if you turn xblend off it's too bright and if you turn it on it looks okay, but on certain maps it looks really dark for some reason (idk why)
d3d hasn't crashed my pc and never had problems with it and it also has advanced xfire support (although the white letters turn a bit pink and the blue letters purple)
Shadow
Masterful

Post by Shadow »

Strange that drd8 and 9 drivers crash your radion 4850...

That problem seems to not rely on CPU (so forefix is useless) as it's not present in software mode (= CPU render everything) but in hardware mode (ogl, dx, glide etc.)
I had that view-dependant speed issue too, as I said I fixed it with UTGLR 3.7 and newest graphics drivers, maybe you should try installing newest drivers too?
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

Updated drivers + installed the that OpenGL, but the view-dependent speed issue remains...

d3d8 crashed/froze my entire pc (you saw the moment the screen froze), while d3d9 suddenly came with those vertical lines all over my screen
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

That's very strange. Try other latest "stable" drivers, and not exactly the "latest". I know there are some GCards which have really heavy issues with UT and updated drivers (in those cards UT worked very well "without" any drivers lol).

But I bet there's some way to you be able to use other renderers without crashing (I use the D3D9 myself in different machines, and it never crashed or had any of those issues).
However, that's not the worse bug from the renderers though (all of them so far, including the old d3d), there are other general bugs which are more annoying than that :\