DM-SuperShoppingMall

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
KingJosh
Skilled

DM-SuperShoppingMall

Post by KingJosh »

Download Areas:

http://mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5411

http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=7872

The MapRaider link also has the videos and screenshots and dl link.

Author- MiniMe AKA KingJosh

DM-SuperShoppingMall

This map is a sequal to the shopping mall map i made a few years ago.

It is a large shopping mall with 3 stories. Its bigger and better than my old mall map, but still has some similarities.

1st video is a Voice Over Tour. The 2nd vid is a Fly around with music. The 3rd video is GamePlay footage.

Thanks-

Minime aka KingJosh. Have fun with the map and tell me what you think.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: DM-SuperShoppingMall

Post by Myth »

Lights, camera and action!
But where are the lights?

Shopping malls use lights to guide customers eyes.
Since it's night, it would be really hard to keep the whole place so well lit up.

But after that the whole place doesn't look that bad. But it does make the game look 5 years older than it is.
The whole place is overall well built, and I'd even play a few rounds online.

Kudos for making the youtube vids.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

It's funny that you made a shopping mall with all those stores

Some things to improve (won't name them all :wink: )
- !LIGHTING! (there's only zonelight I assume which isn't so nice looking) <-- important
- those 2d burgers/tacos look ugly, make a mesh of them instead (and no not because it's an old game it's okay imo :p)
- textures aren't always correct (like the wooden tables textures aren't endless --> you see borders and in some gamestores you can clearly see it's a photo, because it was taken from an angle, not realistic (music store) and more )
- the shops could be WAY more detailed (it's pretty boxy)
- trims
- make glass & doors (movers) for the stores

I haven't looked how you build it so I won't give any feedback there
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

also everyone can feel free to edit the map if you want :tu:
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Why do people make such horrible maps and not even include a single light?
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

1. the map was made in 2 days

2. It took a very long time to rebuild without lights, I dont want to imagine with lights,

3. if i added lights it might have never rebuilt

4. Would have taken me long time add lights

5. Several times when constucting the map in unreal ed, unreal ed errored without lights, with lights it would have had more rendering errors.

6. i told people feel free to do whatever they want with it.

if you want to spend 2 hours adding 300 lights, have unreal ed error 10 times, and have a 30 minute map rebuild. go ahead.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

1. Invalid argument. 2 days are ridiculous. :tongue: Sry. Making maps is some kind of art, not mass production or a speed contest. I know, most maps are really crap looking, since most of the high quality mappers moved to other game (engines) or quit mapping because of real life. Some mappers need to be faced with some really awesome maps, both great in gameplay and visuals.
Example of art: http://www.map-factory.org/unreal-tourn ... s-1-1-1035
Of course, I would not expect you to get near his level of mapping, I mean its Swanky. I just want to show you .. 2 days are equivalent to nothing. Actually the will is also very important to do your best. :!:

2. I dont know what you did there, maybe you have not merged surfaces where it could have been done. (yes, have not checked your map, besides looking on the screenshots). Otherwise.. its normal with complex maps (although your map seems to be rather simple), you just have to wait? Rome wasn't built in a day.

3. Eh? Laziness. Nothing more. Sry. Like I said. Mapping is art, not a speed contest. :confused2:

4. You wanna know something? Kamah took me nearly one year. Dont panic now, something like that is always an exception. 1262 Lights, no simple copy - paste of lights. Change of colors, brightness, radius etc. You maybe know.. UT does not have a "Lighting Only" Mode where you can see how what got lighted and this makes lighting of maps not easier. I dont even want to mention the horrible long rebuild time, somehow over 10 minutes, afaik.

5. I know, the ed has a lot of flaws and bugs. Save early, save often. Its not only a rule for RPG gamers. Sometimes you have to risk something. Do you think, you are the only one whose ed crashed here and there? I dont think so.

6. Point 2, Point 3.

Sry if this sounds harsh, but some of your points were just .. meh. I know, its only my opinion, an opinion of a long year ued mapper... :roll:

The development of those "speed maps" is giving me the creeps. Should we split the map promotion forum part into 2 sections? Those who really want to hear something and those who just want to show their maps but do not want to get any feedback at all? I am not kidding , I seriously consider something like that...
I mean I am pretty sure you will be pissed about my post anyway... I would bet on that.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
--=PsyXandeR=--
Inhuman
Personal rank: BANANAS

Post by --=PsyXandeR=-- »

I don't really know how map this simple could crash your Ued. No seriously. My Peri is at 3000 brushes and 400 lights ( which is like nothing ) right now and it barely crashes my editor. This is the worst theme to choose for speedmapping, too. Creating a mall that actually looks like a mall is a tedious work and cannot be done within 2 days no matter how hard you try.
Check this picture out. While L4D2 is Source-based game, nothing really prevents you from making something in lines of this.

... more bashing to follow when I actually check the map out...