Release x3 New maps!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Release x3 New maps!

Post by Myth »

First of all,
Merry Xmas Everybody
Here is a triple release.

DM-1on1-Alpha
Shot0213.jpg
CTF-XMC-Joust-Xmas
Shot0220.jpg
CTF-XMC-Frozenw00t
Shot0214.jpg
If you're only interested in individual maps, you can grab them from my userpage.

Futhermore, since these are my last 2010 maps I've also uploaded to my userpage, full pack downloads are also available, as well as the extras package whit contains additional maps and those awesome experimental terrains you've been seeing in the screenshot thread but never in my maps.

Download x3 HTTP Indirect
Download x3 HTTP Direct
Last edited by Myth on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: Release x3 New maps!

Post by Creavion »

You know what? I also wanted to do something like that ... a bunch of maps for a special event like today. Maybe next year, or maybe not. I think several gamers will be very pleased about your effort. :thuup:

Some comments about your work nevertheless :tongue:

FrozenW00t: I somehow like the layout. Pretty good idea - either you take the jumppads or you take the way over the bridges, where you grab some more weapons. Its also nice to have a such open layout and.. hard to tell, but the layout is nice. I can not complain about it.
Also from the visual aspect the map theme is generally interesting. Typical UT Dirty! I like that! However you could have added some more details. A ceiling construction with some moss hanging under it? Would not have been reqiered anywhere, but here and there, you know it. Or a broken machine panel? A turbine? Anything like that. The graffitis give the map however some more ambience and like I already mentioned, this dirty feeling. But as good textures might be, they can not replace polygons in every case. It wold have been more interesting if the longer walls would have been interrupted by some pillars.. maybe with .. searchlights on its tops? What I noticed at the very end were those loudspeaker with those cool looking team symbols on each side. Neat idea. But I see a similar problem here, the loudspeakers more look like they are forced into the walls, something is here is missing again, hmm cables or simply more polygons (Wall constructions with lamps looking down, maybe with a play of colors, fitting to the bass ). And forgot that: The water is looking strange. I thought it is supposed to be frozen? Anyway: Visuallay, I like the map - only some details - specially in terms of polygons are missing.
Normally I am not a fan of CTF generally however this is - afaik - the best map of the pack.

Joust: Its just Joust. Just kidding. Most likely as like with Morbias and co. Either you like it or you hate it. In your case it seems to be a mass frag map with the redeemer and the udamages and the belts. Nice wheater conditions outer there if you look out of the windows - as like in DM-Zeto?! - clean lighting ("curved surfaces", I always have problems to light out such corners). The amount of details is enough. The music was annoying...^^ I quickly turned it off.

Alpha: Difficult to rate for me. On the one hand a beautiful skybox, perfectly fitting to the lighting, a very fast paced layout (you can fall down very easily.. good or bad.. each to his own). On the other side: Symmetrical map (dont get me wrong, I also have made some of them here and there) and... actually the only real decos besides the lamp sources are... crates?! Thats it, nothing more?! Several mappers told me, crates are the lamest type of decoration at all, even if the liandri logos on them are looking good.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Thanks Myth for the Christmas present. I just got them over at UP - feedback to come.....:)

Edit:

Yes, I agree with Creavion about FrozenW00t 4 the most part. It's the best map of the bunch, and my new favorite W00t.

I simply love those dirty old textures and the simplicity of the map's visuals. The map feels and looks right. Anyway, too much eye candy does a number on my FPS. The fact that the water won't kill you is also nice (some goodies down there too). Wootankamun used to drive me crazy, falling in the drink and dying all the time. The enemy has to kill you in this map.

This is a player's map!!! Good work and please, Myth...keep mapping! :D
Last edited by Sergeant Todd on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Post by [did]Madis »

Can I PLEASE lift the textures from Alpha's skybox? They're super gorgeous!
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

how did you align the skysphere in alpha?
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

@Creavion: Thanks for the feedback.
Frozenw00t: Even I wanted to add a bit more detail to that bare wall on the side. But I was low on both time and ideas so I just threw up some text there. Some of the details were a bit rushed to make it till xmas. It was also never tested before the release. I was confident that it has a solid layout. After some frags online I was surprised that is quite a distance between the two bases. The flag runs longer, but I've seen awesome flag runs. Also, when all the players rush to get the udamage, it's really easy to shock combo them.
Alpha: more or less it's experimental and I never had the intention to add much decoration (after failing 2 times), anyone who still hasn't figured it out, completing the sequence gives you health pickups.

@Madis: If you thing they'll make your map look better, sure.

@attack!: I have an aligned sphere stashed in one of my ut folders which was made with 3d modeling software. It's ready to be imported as a brush.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Where can I play them online ??
Anyway ...I'll DL your maps.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

thanks!!
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

Myth wrote:@attack!: I have an aligned sphere stashed in one of my ut folders which was made with 3d modeling software. It's ready to be imported as a brush.
can you maybe tell me how? i have 3dsmax9 and i dont know how to get it aligned as you have it.
RocketJedi
Inhuman

Post by RocketJedi »

are these maps remakes? because I have played them before.
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

@attack!: Yes, now you make a generic aligned sphere, import it into unrealed. You can apply any transformation you wish. The brush will still be mostly properly aligned. Transformations are panning, scaling, rotating, skewing, mirroring.

@Qwerty: The joust one is obviously a remake. The rest aren't. As far as I know haven't suffered from any trauma that lead me to memory loss. If you found those similar maps, post em so I can see. But maybe after 10 years of UT all the maps look the same and play the same.

edit: @papercoffee currently online on the explosive server.
Last edited by Myth on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

well thats the thing i dont know how to create a generic aligned sphere ( i guess ) i can create a sphere but when i import it into ued the textures arent aligned. forgive me if i sound stupid ^^
RocketJedi
Inhuman

Post by RocketJedi »

Myth wrote:@attack!: Yes, now you make a generic aligned sphere, import it into unrealed. You can apply any transformation you wish. The brush will still be mostly properly aligned. Transformations are panning, scaling, rotating, skewing, mirroring.

@Qwerty: The joust one is obviously a remake. The rest aren't. As far as I know haven't suffered from any trauma that lead me to memory loss. If you found those similar maps, post em so I can see. But maybe after 10 years of UT all the maps look the same and play the same.
your probably right.. and its not a big deal thanks!!
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Yes, I agree with Creavion about FrozenW00t 4 the most part. It's the best map of the bunch, and my new favorite W00t.

I simply love those dirty old textures and the simplicity of the map's visuals. The map feels and looks right. Anyway, too much eye candy does a number on my FPS. The fact that the water won't kill you is also nice (some goodies down there too). Wootankamun used to drive me crazy, falling in the drink and dying all the time. The enemy has to kill you in this map.

This is a player's map!!! Good work and please, Myth...keep mapping! :D
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Alpha - Well, I already tested it out with papercoffee in your server once, great gameplay (we had a hard time figuring the switches out though lol). The skybox is one of the best I saw "space wise", however it still didn't convince me at 100% relative your previous skyboxes, I think it could take a bit more work: you could make an animated skybox texture where you could make some starts "blink" somehow and be brighter, and add some little asteroids as well. :)

Joust - I am used to play in some Joust maps of several types. This one should play the same as a regular Joust map, but with the extra care on visuals only a very few other Joust maps have :mrgreen: .

FrozenW00t - I liked specially the water effect and the monitors, didn't like however a certain texture usage near the flags: the one in the ramp with some kind of "arrows" (pointers), only for the fact there's: "up, down, up, down", and I think it would look much better by being "up, up, down, down" or "down, down, up, up" (just a personal opinion of course).

In general, great job as always Myth :tu: :gj: