DM-MedievalTown

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
KingJosh
Skilled

DM-MedievalTown

Post by KingJosh »

medieval town...

ps. dont worry fnb i added bot support this time

[youtube]7rkfd373rEc[/youtube]

http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=7913

Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: DM-MedievalTown

Post by Creavion »

I better dont`t ask if you have stopped sleeping, eating and anything else?! :what:
Anyway the next thing you should try to learn: Lighting, and I dont mean copy and paste of light actors. I really mean how to light out a map with a fitting ambience.
And last but not least: Think about a layout for your maps in advance. Like your previous map - some days ago ... - everything looks flat somehow. Ok I saw in your video you have entered a house for a few seconds but dont rush those map releases. Try to ask for tips and help during the construction of a map. This could help you with increasing of your maps quality in any possible terms.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
robin13
Experienced
Personal rank: NaliSlayer

Post by robin13 »

My eyes,those textures.................are so huge. (Talking about the ground.) add some detailed roads,add some good lightning,and ffs, get rid of the house textures brushes. or atleast add some detail to those brush houses.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

That makes me remember some N64 games.... which were some years older than UT itself... you know what I mean.

I think you're speeding up maps, and I was already a judge in a mapping contest, where only 3 people participated:
- One did a single crappy map;
- Another did 2 quite good maps;
- Another made about 7 maps;

Results: the guy who made the 2 maps won (his maps got the 1st and 2nd places), and the guy who made 7 wondered why... he wanted to make a huge quantity of maps, but not a single one was worth a play.

So instead of doing 10 maps a month, why don't you make a small effort and use a month to make 1 good map? There are quite some people here who made really epic maps, and each one took them months to even a full year, and some of them just won't get out of my head on how trully epic they were, and I bet many people out there got the same.

Just a friendly advice (I don't map much, but you can ask anyone the difference between my first maps and my last one, anyone can evolve with some good will).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok... why does no one mention the sky box?
it looks like a cube laminated with different photos.

An advice from me an average noob mapper ...take the EgyptPan.utx texture pack and use the light blue texture to paste the skybox ...flag in the properties "unlight".
Now you have an easy skybox where you can place later masked sheet brushes with texture of buildings and forest. Even without any "decoration" the simple light blue skybox looks more like a sky than your wallpaper of a cloudy sky a mountain range and other photos.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

I dont know what to say... all my other fellow mappers or how to call them are right... i dont know what to add to it, try to find some nice good tutorials OR ask for advice here on this forum to make some quality maps
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

But you all must admit that the architexture doesn't look that bad. It's the textures which hurts everybody's eyes. They are way too low-poly, even for that old game. So, if you had original sources, which have a higher resolution than the textures you used, split them in several textures. That would really help for the church which looks too ugly because of its small texture.
Also, like Creavion said, think of a good floorplan. Now everything is just flat (and in your other map, too). You need Z-Axis-fights in order to have a good gameplay in a map. Look at all stock UT maps (also the urban ones) to get what I mean.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

well i like it :D
INF3C71ON
Novice

Post by INF3C71ON »

You have a nice idea, but the huge textures mixed with the small ones clash. Use a universal texture size for your whole map. add some lamp posts and make it a night map and well talk.

*Edit

SKYBOX!!!! WTF!!... Tutorials plz
XBL: INF3C71ON aka -dsm.madman- -dsm. and -=NEP=- Former Clan Leader