I got problems with my Snowfallcanyon map

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: I got problems with my Snowfallcanyon map

Post by papercoffee »

FraGnBraG wrote: *edit* actually, i think you have to name it "screenshot" :)
Image .......no comment ....Dammit!! I forgot the simplest things!!!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

oh, another thing i noticed was the lighting used within the underground bases - you have used plain white-light (64-0-255-64R aka "noob-lite" settings) to illuminate from the light sources... If it were me I would (at the very least) change all of these to small radii high-bright at the source (example 8-10, and brightness of 100-120) and add a second light out from the source a bit with lower brightness and wider radius (maybe 50-60 bright, 32-40 rad). For color, choose a hue/sat that compliments the surrounding texture/colors, but not the exact colors. The blue base should feel a bit "blue/cyan" and the red should feel a bit "red/amber", but not be over-saturated to cause an all red or all blue appearance. Hard to explain, but you should "color" those those plain-white lights a bit.

ps - For the tubelight meshes I would add an embedded light right inside the tubelight mesh and set this to a corona of size .2 or .3, 0 bright and with a radius of 15-16. The hue/sat of the corona would be set between the light source's first and second lights hue/sat settings - this makes for a nicely blended light.

Anyways, a few more thoughts for you...

So for each light source you use a three-light system (CORONA + ILLUMINATOR + AREA light). For coloring these lights you try to achieve a "blend" of hue/sats that compliments the textures around the light source area.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

My brain is smoking now.... :omfg:

Edit---------------------------------
Now I see what you did ...I never thought a lift-exit and alternate-path etc. can be used this way.
Maybe I can send you my old map DM-GangWar-Rocketfight and you can say me how to set the path-nodes so the bots will jump and fight in midair.

The lights ...well I want to finish this map ...I respect your advice (because you know what you are talking about) but I do not have the time to alter the lights. If this light is not to eye scathing I wont to leave it like it is
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

ah don't worry - the lighting is fine except it was too dark outside - lol, i always use a lot of lights when mapping (except, erm, in a 300k map cause every light costs you K's :) my current map has about 5000! yeah, get that map of yours released dude so XYZ can do his judging stuff !!!!
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

ok now I have to fix the unaligned rock textures and I am ready ...A read-me oh and it seams I have to retexture the trees with the textures already inserted to the MyLevel pack ...The trees refer to the outside utx pack ...not to the MyLevel pack. Somehow it make sense.
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

FraGnBraG wrote:ah don't worry - the lighting is fine except it was too dark outside - lol, i always use a lot of lights when mapping (except, erm, in a 300k map cause every light costs you K's :) my current map has about 5000! yeah, get that map of yours released dude so XYZ can do his judging stuff !!!!
Yes, but those color shock rifle rounds looks so pretty in that night sky! I liked the map regardless. :gj:
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Still having problems with this?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

nope ...http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3128 ...but thanks for asking. :D