Quick Question

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Raylen
Average
Personal rank: BunnyTracker

Quick Question

Post by Raylen »

Hi again,

I just fixed a map for someone. In the process of fixing, I added an extra playerstart for testing. The map is now fixed.

Question: If I delete the PlayerStart, do I need to rebuild anything? It's a BT map so there are no paths, bots etc.

Thanks!
Thanks in advance for answering the above question!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Quick Question

Post by JackGriffin »

Yes, any change in the actor list requires a rebuild. If not you'll have crashes as the playerstart is pathed now (whether you built botpathing or not). A default path network is created by the engine on map building each time. You can see this by taking a map and adding a pickup somewhere then rebuilding. You will notice it adds itself to the default pathwork if you "Show paths" in the ed, even though you didn't make them.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Raylen
Average

Post by Raylen »

Do I need to rebuild all then, or just paths?

Edit: apologies for noobness, and thanks, Jack :D
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

No problem bro. There are any number of people here that take great pleasure in answering questions. Honestly mapping is my least strong area so don't be surprised if someone comes in with something better, I mainly do mod work. Feel free to drop me an email if you need direct help above what a forum can do.

It's a rule-of-thumb that the last thing you do before testing a final map is "build all". Even doing something very minor can have large consequences when a map is rebuilt because there is quite a lot that happens on a rebuild. Take a look into your editor log after a build all and you can get an idea what it really does in those couple of minutes. It's surprising.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Raylen
Average

Post by Raylen »

Hehe, couple of minutes. This one takes 15, which is why I'm asking, rather than just doing it and finding out for myself :)

Ok cheers. Will do that. Topic can be closed now :)