A Portal Map of sorts (just an idea)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: A Portal Map of sorts (just an idea)

Post by JackGriffin »

The builder gun was a niche mod that ran one (empty) map forever and never changed maps. You spawned with a gun that let you call up any number of static meshes and place them in the level, in essence giving you building blocks to make stuff with. Some maps were pretty cool with sections given to different people so they could come back and continue work on their structures. Some of the work as really palacial and impressive but it was ruined by random jerks coming in and deleting parts of your building. Porting the gun to UT would be troublesome since the static mesh is much less used.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

JackGriffin wrote:The builder gun was a niche mod that ran one (empty) map forever and never changed maps. You spawned with a gun that let you call up any number of static meshes and place them in the level, in essence giving you building blocks to make stuff with. Some maps were pretty cool with sections given to different people so they could come back and continue work on their structures. Some of the work as really palacial and impressive but it was ruined by random jerks coming in and deleting parts of your building. Porting the gun to UT would be troublesome since the static mesh is much less used.
^sounds a lot like minecraft :P
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

so has there been in advancements in these portal map's be kean to see some screenies of the work that anyone has made so far.
I have been a little bit busy but will attempt fate soon and see what I can make of this.

thanks for feedback.
:tu:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I didn't hear back from anyone but people get busy.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

that's true ....much work to do and no Time for anything.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

likewise I have been very busy, however I had a thought in regards to this mod;

Code: Select all

http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-gun
maybe make a simpler version which allows players to;

a.) spawn with portalgun automatically (not replacing Hamma)

b.) portal links to Portal Map Teleporter..

Re: b.) if your portal map has 10 teleporters leading off to various server's perhaps the portal gun could be bidirectional.

hence players could put a portal somewhere and jump through it.

alternatives could be , random portal spawn on each map... where all players can utilise it.. save having 10 portals all over the map.

player portal only , where only the the player can utilise their spawned portals.. but with the addition of a portal damage feature.
other players can destroy portals.(if found) or in advertant spam shot's/
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

(As if you couldn't tell I'm a huge Portal fan) I redid the portal gun for use on servers. It's very buggy and can easily cause a server to hard crash. If you go the route of using the PG, let me know and I'll send you the redone scripts and you can modify from there.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

you were saying that the sendToURL= feature works on all gametypes except MH for memory , wonder what the difference is.

I must get you to come onto our MH server and see what we are missing as well lol.

Greetz..

ps: once I finish a few unfinished projects I will be good to go. I would be interested in having a look at what you have atm , I did look into the code for the portal-gun but found that it had a lot of custom bit's n peaces.. only downside from reading up on it was the fact that it replaced the hamma , I made this mistake a long time ago (some mod removing the hamma) and got 110 flames from 50 old school players lol.