Movers included in Nodecount

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Raylen
Average
Personal rank: BunnyTracker

Movers included in Nodecount

Post by Raylen »

Hey,

My map has 61000 nodes. When I try and play it, around 40% of the movers are invis. Am I right in assuming that this is because I've gone over the limit, and that to fix it, I'll need to remove some stuff?
Thanks in advance for answering the above question!
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Movers included in Nodecount

Post by editor Dave »

Yes.

I had the same problem in one of my previous maps. When my node count went to 52000 every mover was correctly displayed. You don't need to delete some areas. It suffices when you replace the most complicated brushes by meshes with the MeshMaker. That worked for me at least. Good luck! :)
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Are your mover maybe complex (thorugh (de)intersecting)? I have never tried it, but there seems to be the possibility to use "Slave Movers". But movers are a sensitive issue. E.g. the rather simple and short unreal 1 map "Trench" has also those mover issues with the front gate of the ship. Dont be sad if you can not solve those issues, I startet to avoid brush mover as much as possible.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Order the movers to the front in the order of placing (right click -> then look for some menu where you can see something like "to front" or something, I don't remember well).

Rebuild and the movers shouldn't have those problems (or almost).
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Order -> To First or to last ?

Do you mean this Ferali?
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:Order -> To First or to last ?

Do you mean this Ferali?
Yes. At least that fixed all my "disappearing movers" problems in the few maps I made (or attempted to lol).

It's hard to believe that movers are affected by nodecount, because although they're BSP, they're not in the BSP Tree itself, they're basically "dynamic BSP" and not "static BSP" (that's why about 2 or 3 mods actually spawn "movers" in-game, and that's also why they can be destroyed by the engine without any crash or bugs).
They start to forcefully disappear indeed when you use too many movers or make very complex movers (it seems there's a limit of mover vertexes in a map, idk for sure).
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

So it is actually possible t o spawn movers ingame ?
this could be something I could use. I want to have some kind of wall spawned in my mod, and a mover would be better for that then an actor in which the collision is all wrong
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

It would be better to hide the mover and bring it into the visible world than to spawn it I would think? Wow Ferali I had no idea movers could be spawned/destroyed without a crash. Makes sense because they don't interact with solidity but that's still something I had no idea about. I always used a movetime of .0001 so they effectively just vanished. Destroying would have been better and easier but I didn't even stop to consider it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, I only saw this sort of thing done is about 2 mods, that's why I know it's possible: one which I found in Spacial-Fear (at moddb, they use movers for the vehicles collision hull, so they can have "box-collision", I have still to research this one better) and another in a mod which is still in development called SiegeM (you can really spawn solid stuff in the level, I never checked the code as nothing of it was yet released, and it seems it won't for a long time, if ever, but I am pretty sure he used movers).

Another fact is that movers are used in Single Player mapping also to hide and show certain sections in a map in determined difficulties (the Filter settings: bDifficulty0, bDifficulty1, etc..).

I never did any experiment about this, so I cannot say how exactly this is done, but there's a certain mod I want to make after nw3 where I will try to look at this better and try to use movers myself, between other things.

It can come really in handy spawn movers in-game, but idk the problems this might imply (except the limit of movers itself).
Raylen
Average
Personal rank: BunnyTracker

Post by Raylen »

editor Dave wrote:Yes.

I had the same problem in one of my previous maps. When my node count went to 52000 every mover was correctly displayed. You don't need to delete some areas. It suffices when you replace the most complicated brushes by meshes with the MeshMaker. That worked for me at least. Good luck! :)
Good Lord, this thing is amazing. Why did I not know of this before? As it happens, I have some fairly complex (250 nodes or so) hanging lights, and some equally complex spiky spikes, which I have now converted into meshes, and have now vastly reduced the nodecount. They also look smoother as well due to the lighting as mentioned in the help page. Well, you learn something new every day, as they say :D

Thanks again!
Thanks in advance for answering the above question!