Importing textures...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Bloeb
Experienced

Re: Importing textures...

Post by Bloeb »

Creavion wrote:
Bloeb wrote: you can't choose the conversion-methods (e.g. dithering) yourself.
Thats why you have do to something like that in photoshop (or gimp).
Exactly, but then it's still best to save it as a 256-color bitmap-file. Hence I still don't see any positives of BMP over PCX.

SzGergo wrote:Well, i think when i go home i will read the wiki about how palettes work and what does "indexed color" and "dithering" mean exactly and such. :)
You might be interested in color-quantization as well. It's usually combined with dithering.
SzGergo wrote:But i did not imported it as masked. (and neither set it to masked in its properties window)
As far as i remember in some cases the mipmaps got punctured.
Apart from never been set to masked it is still strange, since how can a value of any pixel become 0 by the compression process generating those mipmaps, when not a single transparent pixel were ever drawn in the base texture.
Also as far as i remember the phenomenon is not completely reproducable, the location of the transparent pixels varies.
I assume the error is caused by my stupid process of changing the extendsion of an anyway improper bitmap.
Actualy exporting it and importing back sometimes eradicates those holes, but not always.
Well i will try some importing scenarios later today to find out what happens when :)
That seems very strange. Like Creavion I would like to suggest to use some different software. Personally I'm a big fan of Irfanview.
It has all the things you need for basic image-editing (cropping images, rotating, color-correcting, resampling, dithering, palette-editing).
Fancy programs like Photoshop and GIMP are usually too complicated in my opinion. I only use them when I need to do more advanced things or need to create images from scratch.