CTF-TombOfTheSun

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

CTF-TombOfTheSun

Post by >@tack!< »

My 2nd map, made it in 2 days, the 2nd being the most productive one, the first more like an imagination of how it would look like. With bot support, which is my first time lol :), its small and in the middle is a pickup that is randomly per match a udamage, kegohealth, invisibility, redeemer or a shieldbelt.

Ill upload it tomorrow its very late now i see :) also i didn't see any so-called apocalypse today.... awww

Here is a pic of a match with bots though ^^ (Its darker than what i see ingame)
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Re: CTF-TombOfTheSun

Post by Hook »

The pic doesn't show a lot, but what I see - I Like! :gj:
Last edited by Hook on Mon May 23, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

ill post the map any time soon, its a small map, 2 bases and a middle part. here is a vid :)
[youtube]hcv2gUGDH1A&hd=1[/youtube]

edit: wont publish today, there are stuff i want to change and add ^^
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

it looks good, but I think you could do more with the lighting. make it more dramatic and make the lava glow more/nice shadows/light of the sun, lamps on the wall with nice corona effects etc. now its a bit one toned.
Also nice music :)
maybe make some alternative paths that go higher/make a secret room (just ideas)
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

i think i will release a small version and a bigger version of this map :p, also i changed the middle block a bit.

also making the lighting a bit realistic is a pain in the ass in this map, cuz the sun is at one side and if you get light on the other its like wtf where is this light from lol ( not diffused :p)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wow ...looks like fun. if you tweak it like the previous comments mention it, this could be nearly the next Face][ :mrgreen:
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

thanks, ill give this full attention soon
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Tbh, I knox you can do much better, The lighting absolutley sucks. Only the sky as light source? Some rework on that and some extra trims here ant there, will make it look waay nicer.
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

@Isotoxin, everyone has his own style, maybe i dont want a lot of contrast?.................................... or do i? dum dum dummm
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

>@tack!< wrote:@Isotoxin, everyone has his own style, maybe i dont want a lot of contrast?.................................... or do i? dum dum dummm
Since you are concerned yourself in this matter, saying something like that is .. sadly the universal "I dont agree with any kind of criticism". His post was maybe a little bit harsh, but it really looks little bit boring.

I have not checked... yet, but there are some "golden" rules for mappers, specially for lighting. The amount of polys and architecture as like its design is always debatable, but the lighting in most cases not. Specially "ONLY white lighting" is typical for noobs.

Ok, I checked. Thats a case for GenMoKai!
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

I appreciate crticism, its essential, only not the way Isotoxin said it like "omg i know you can do better" and stuff like that doesn't get me in the mood to change something about it, though i know i must, its nothing personal. Apart from that i made this really quick during exams. Ive already noted that this isn't finished yet. I admit the lighting should be changed, but i dont want to change ALOT of the lighting. Also im not that good a mapper like Isotoxin believes i am, dunno why he assumed that. I'm already superhappy with the result atm, cuz all my few BT maps i made were a bit chaotic. Me and my friend have played this map a bit too and we are thinking of other stuff to add. Also i wasnt active in UT for a long time, its like on-off relationship. But ye Isotoxin is right, I was just in a bad mood.

Just mind that im a bit stressed atm ( exams ) :p
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Fair enough, you both failed^^
JK.

I get your point. Like I said, those kind of maps are GenMoKais speciality. He might be able to give you some tricks to make it more looking good. The basic concept of your map is from what I have seen in the video rather good. Its only the case that lighting can affect a lot in a map.

@quick maps: THATs something I can not understand. If you dont have the time, then plz dont rush it with a map release. Mapping is art, it expresses the skills of the artist.

If you need help, then you should get it. I only know a handful people who are not in need of any help during designing of a map. But most ask for opinions as well. I also changed the lighting of my latest map - although it is in an early phase three times, when I asked Swanky. That took me some hours. ^^
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
>@tack!<
Adept

Post by >@tack!< »

Creavion wrote: @quick maps: THATs something I can not understand. If you dont have the time, then plz dont rush it with a map release. Mapping is art, it expresses the skills of the artist.
I meant that what i have atm, was quickly made, it resulted in an already playable map and i played it a bit with my friend and made a vid, i thought i would release it already but that was overconfidence.

And all advice is appreciated
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Creavion wrote:Ok, I checked. Thats a case for GenMoKai!
Creavion wrote:I get your point. Like I said, those kind of maps are GenMoKais speciality. He might be able to give you some tricks to make it more looking good. The basic concept of your map is from what I have seen in the video rather good. Its only the case that lighting can affect a lot in a map.
Someone called me?

I check the map for you... but i think i can only give a comment tomorrow... my free day off work!
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

I checked your map... well at least the video... The idea is cool to be honest, but there are some things you have to change i think...

1. Its very cubic
2. Not that many decorations (long boring corridors)
3. Very bad lighting for so far

In my eyes it only looks like a layout. You can pump up the trims/decorations ;) I think the gameplay should be kept this way though. Its fast and chaotic. Some people love that of course. And that jumppad is also a cool thing (i might change that texture for something else though... cause it doesnt looks/feels like an ancient/egyptian jumppad thingy)

If you want to, i can help you a bit with that map. Ancient/egyptian stuff or small CTF maps are more my thing to make i gues...
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission