DM-Foom

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Helen
Novice

DM-Foom

Post by Helen »

I just finished this map a few days ago, I hope you enjoy it.

download: http://www.birdieman.com/downloads/dm-foom.zip

screenies:

rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Re: DM-Foom

Post by rohitggarg »

Very lovely texture work!
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Your Texture work is astonishing ...Your Brush work looks effective ... I'll download your map.
What is the poly-count for this beauty?
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

From the first impressions: Nice map. Well done.

Only some things about your readme:
Thats usually not how you construct a readme. Most of the textures I saw there are known for me. Ok, Unreal 2, UC2, UT2004.. Epic or at little bit Legend stuff, but I also found at least stuff by Hourences. I just dont think its ok not to credit him for his work. At least in the past he has done also stuff as community modder. So, yes, the credits part is a MuST-HAVE. The information in your readme are just not enough. At least next time credit community modders for their work.

Unlike the big companies WE dont earn any money for our work, the only way to get thanked is to get credits.
Last edited by Creavion on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: A single line more added for better understanding
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

rohitggarg wrote:Very lovely texture work!
very nicely made. I never heard of your name before. I thought that it would be one of those cubic or city maps. I like the shots. I will give a better feedback when im back home
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

GenMoKai wrote:
very nicely made. I never heard of your name before. I thought that it would be one of those cubic or city maps. I like the shots. I will give a better feedback when im back home
But I did, I mean to remember seeing the name on unrealplayground a long time ago, but also with a low post count. So, its mostl likely just fresh mapper meat. :mrgreen:
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Pretty good realistic architecture, but the lighting could make a good use of more contrasted light sources, some red here, some orange/cold blue there - also the lighting could need some polishing as seen on the second pic (the sloped and round surfaces)
Some textures kinda remind me of wheel of time

Good work!
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

That map looks very good, great work with textures and lighting, i will also download your map :gj: :tu:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I must say this looks like a very nice map. Well done :gj:
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

One thing I can say for sure about this New Gem of a map...
It is Very FUN to play and it all looks even way better playing it in game.
(it has been on at least 3 servers for a few weeks now, we played the heck out of it and still love it - and these screen shots don't really do it justice)
The lighting and shadows are superb.
Very realistic Dusk (or Dawn?) sky also. :rock: :gj:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

Creavion wrote:From the first impressions: Nice map. Well done.

Only some things about your readme:
Thats usually not how you construct a readme. Most of the textures I saw there are known for me. Ok, Unreal 2, UC2, UT2004.. Epic or at little bit Legend stuff, but I also found at least stuff by Hourences. I just dont think its ok not to credit him for his work. At least in the past he has done also stuff as community modder. So, yes, the credits part is a MuST-HAVE. The information in your readme are just not enough. At least next time credit community modders for their work.

Unlike the big companies WE dont earn any money for our work, the only way to get thanked is to get credits.
I absolutely agree about needing to credit the texture makers. I will come across a texture, and it will mesmerize me and inspire me to make a map on it's own.

I kinda have a poor memory. I'll try to recall where I saw a texture and come up blank. This time I decided to go through all the texture files ahead of time and pull the ones I liked, so I would know where they were. Also so I could assemble them into one file. Yes I should have kept better track of where they came from.

So thank you to anyone who's texture I used, they totally make the map what it is.
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

Creavion wrote:
GenMoKai wrote:
But I did, I mean to remember seeing the name on unrealplayground a long time ago, but also with a low post count. So, its mostl likely just fresh mapper meat. :mrgreen:
I did quite a few maps earlier in the UT career as "birdieman". The best thing about those early maps is the gameplay, otherwise there is not much eye candy, and the lighting is bland (even non-existent).
papercoffee wrote:Your Texture work is astonishing ...Your Brush work looks effective ... I'll download your map.
What is the poly-count for this beauty?
Can you tell me how to find this number? I don't even know.
Shadow wrote:Pretty good realistic architecture, but the lighting could make a good use of more contrasted light sources, some red here, some orange/cold blue there - also the lighting could need some polishing as seen on the second pic (the sloped and round surfaces)
Agreed. Lighting is so tough for me. This is by far my best crack at it. A week after basking in the glow of finishing it, I began to think the glow needed some more color :)

That lighting on the sloped surfaces, do you mean the fact that it decided to draw part of the brush in shadow, and the other part in light? Yeah I don't know how to fix that. I kept moving the "sun" slightly to no avail.

Thanks for all the other comments. :)
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

command: stat fps
This will tell you the CURRENT poly count, the CURRENT frames per second. For the total poly count you have to check the build options (stats).
About to be non-active
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Helen, you could use the SpecialLit Tab Option on the named surfaces and light them each with an own light source (special lit surfaces and lights only lit the surfaces with the stated option)
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

Total polycount is 6490. I'm thinking that's high? Plays ok though.
Shadow wrote:Helen, you could use the SpecialLit Tab Option on the named surfaces and light them each with an own light source (special lit surfaces and lights only lit the surfaces with the stated option)
Very cool. I experimented and I can see how this helps with trouble patches. Thanks!