Help in botpathing for a normal CTF version of this SLV map.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
AliveTillFragged
Average
Personal rank: Semi-Noob Mapper

Help in botpathing for a normal CTF version of this SLV map.

Post by AliveTillFragged »

And The map is named:
CTF-((APO))ARC-PlaTIDUS
It was my first map: "A Really Cool PLAce That I Dreamt Up Somehow" :)
I had written when i had posted in ut-slv :
Apocalypso=AliveTillFragged=me wrote: For all those who had been waiting for something new- here it is- and thank you all for
your limitless patience. I had my competitive exams too, you know..

- Built the Geometry to the brim. I know i had wanted to keep the zone count low, but its a whopping 63 zones in that map. I know it is NOT at ALL recommended, but it was f@#&ing necessary, really.

- Added all weapons and inventory. The health packs and health vials are... team-colored!

- And no use whining against the absence of a damage amplifier- I DIDN'T KEEP ANY. Thats that.

- This map assures TOTAL PLAYABILITY and NEGLIGIBLE DROP in FRAMERATES.

- THE PLASMAS ON THE FLAGBASES ARE NOT a JOKE. Mind them.

- Theres a secret room of the 'ANCIENTS' (XD XD) somewhere in the map- care to find it? :)

- Like WITPlA, this mapname is an abbreviation too, Latin though "Arc-Platidus" seems...- wanna guess?

- The bases are really hard to defend- the enemy might approach from ANY DIRECTION!!

A NOTE OF CAUTION:
Both the warped water and the zone lifts have BOTTOM TO BOTTOM and TOP TO TOP connections respectively. So if you are not flying the SLV fast enough through the WarpZones, you will end up on an everlasting SLV that stops only when the fuel is down.- IT WILL GET CAUGHT AT THE ZONE PORTALS. In fact, the warped water and the zone lifts have NOT been designed for SLVers to fly through. Its for them to walk through, and getting the first chance, BLAST through. IF you DO attempt this, though- DO NOT ATTEMPT IT AT THE ZONE LIFTS- you'll end up with sudden direction reversal and SUDDEN Death.
The SCREENSHOTS:

THE RED BASE
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 418 times
THE BLUE BASE
Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 418 times
THE UPPER STAIRS OF THE WATER RESERVOIR
Screenshot2.jpg
Screenshot2.jpg (50.49 KiB) Viewed 418 times
THE RESERVOIR FROM THE INNER PASSAGES

THE RESERVOIR'S DEPTHS
Screenshot3.jpg
Screenshot3.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 418 times
THE WARPED WATERS (showing the other base through the waters)

The lamps look cool... maybe
Screenshot5.jpg
Screenshot5.jpg (52.23 KiB) Viewed 418 times
THE FANTASTIC ZONE LIFTS!!
Screenshot4.jpg
Screenshot4.jpg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 418 times
THE FLOWING ENERGY OF THE ZONE LIFTS

THE SECRET ROOM OF THE ANCIENTS...
Screenshot6.jpg
Screenshot6.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 418 times
So, thats all folks- hope you liked the screens. Its my first CTF map.

-Apocalypso
please, i cannot make the bots jump the jumpers, and neither can i make them stop getting stuck at the warpzones :( which are EVERYWHERE. Please help whoever is reading this post!! :help: :help: :help: :help:

this is the map file:

http://www.ut-slv.com/forum/download/file.php?id=2268
Attachments
CTF-((Apo))ARC_PlaTIDUS_mended.zip
(6.9 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
CTF-((APO))ARC_PlaTIDUS.zip
(6.88 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by Metalfist on Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached files and images
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Help in botpathing for a normal CTF version of this SLV

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Ehh... If nobody wants to help, I might give it a shot but 1st I need to fix my xp problem. I'm sooooo slooowww...
AliveTillFragged
Average

GEx wrote:Ehh... If nobody wants to help, I might give it a shot but 1st I need to fix my xp problem. I'm sooooo slooowww...
thank you mr GEx to bother with this :D , can u also tell me how to do better placement of weapons, pickups, and pathnoding the warpzones?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

AliveTillFragged wrote:
GEx wrote:Ehh... If nobody wants to help, I might give it a shot but 1st I need to fix my xp problem. I'm sooooo slooowww...
thank you mr GEx to bother with this :D , can u also tell me how to do better placement of weapons, pickups, and pathnoding the warpzones?
Truth is... I'm actually more n00b than anyone here. I also need to fix my PC 1st. But if NOBODY will help you out on this while I fix the computer, I promise you that your map will be on the top of my 'to do list'!
AliveTillFragged
Average

thank you! :D btw, please never call urself a noob unless u mean it from ur heart or ur diplomatic :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I can't help because I can make textures and experimental maps ....but I suck in Bot pathing. :|
AliveTillFragged
Average

papercoffee wrote:I can't help because I can make textures and experimental maps ....but I suck in Bot pathing. :|
haha i never did botpathing on a map before (except one failed project :( which was really sucked up... ) but NEVEr on such which had 63 zones (24 are Warp Portals :P)... HOW DOes anyone bothpath through WarpZones????????
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Thanks for the motivation :tu:
@map jumpers: you mean jumppads, right? Do you use normal stock UT kickers or swjumpads? I suggest sw cuz they're much easier to use and the bots like them more :D
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

AliveTillFragged wrote:HOW DOes anyone bothpath through WarpZones????????
Duuuh ....?? ... a path node on both sides and the path will be build.
But better to wait for the Pros ...I can be wrong.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

there are tutorials in The Complete Unreal Ed Reference Guide for botpathing and such. Jumppads need special botnodes added.
Go to Pathnodes for various tutorials or
Go to Misc -> "Creating and Adding Bot Support For Jump Pads (Kickers)" By: Sam Sutton
AliveTillFragged
Average

GEx wrote:Thanks for the motivation :tu:
@map jumpers: you mean jumppads, right? Do you use normal stock UT kickers or swjumpads? I suggest sw cuz they're much easier to use and the bots like them more :D
you mean the 'swjumppad.u' file in system folder... Hmmm.. i'll try them out if they're more friendly!! :D
papercoffee wrote:Duuuh ....?? ... a path node on both sides and the path will be build.
But better to wait for the Pros ...I can be wrong.
I tried it mr admin, but the bots keep getting stuck at the warpzones!!! :help: :help:
Metalfist wrote:there are tutorials in The Complete Unreal Ed Reference Guide for botpathing and such. Jumppads need special botnodes added.
Go to Pathnodes for various tutorials or
Go to Misc -> "Creating and Adding Bot Support For Jump Pads (Kickers)" By: Sam Sutton
... thanx for a direct link to the TCUERG. metal didi, i HAVE, sorry, have read the article. i did the setup. but the bots were not jumping. :( thats the sad part. i think it may have more to do than put 4 liftexits, 4 more on the ground, and label every single one of them different.

AND to everyone reading this, ...

is there absolutely no way to botpath the zone lifts,... ??????... coz they are just water columns, and i havent read a SIN, sorry, single article that tells us how to botpath in the water... ????

BUT i've seen one article which speaks of a common glitch- the underwater choking glitch what all bots have. they dont like to come out of deep water, and this chokes them... solution? well i read also that it was advised to put liftexits near the water's edge... would it work here??? :help: :help: :help: :? :?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Wait those are Water columns ??? bot pathing doesn't work well in water ...
And for the warp zones ...did you check the Paths in the Editor?? Are they red or blue?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

63 zones? Seriously?
:shakes head:

If you want bots to enter water, swim through it following a path, then exit the water continuing on the path it's going to require custom actors. They just won't do it because it costs them health staying in the water so it drops the desirability of that path to almost nothing.

BTW as an aside you do realize you are at the limit of the zones UT can process? Have you tried this map online? I can see some potential issues, especially with that many zones. Are you getting BSP errors on rebuilds?

EDIT: Took a look at the map in ed. Your BSP cuts are clean, the map is well done and looks very low trouble in that respect so NVM on the BSP. A partial solution to your problem is that the bots need a reason to go all the way to the teleporter zones at the dead ends. Add a health item towards the back but make it's drawscale very small (hidden). The bots don't 'see' the warpzone but they will know the health item (or ammo) is there and try to reach it. When they do they will warp to the next zone and continue on. BTW, damn nice job on the transition areas. I actually had to look in editor to find exactly where they were. I hope it plays that smooth online.

One thing I do see is that you have vials all over. The bots are going to key towards those everywhere they see them so it may be an issue.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
AliveTillFragged
Average

63 zones? Seriously?
:shakes head:

If you want bots to enter water, swim through it following a path, then exit the water continuing on the path it's going to require custom actors. They just won't do it because it costs them health staying in the water so it drops the desirability of that path to almost nothing.

BTW as an aside you do realize you are at the limit of the zones UT can process? Have you tried this map online? I can see some potential issues, especially with that many zones. Are you getting BSP errors on rebuilds?
NOPES! :D the map is absolutely ok, and its the straining limit of Ued- 63/64 zones hee hee hee :omfg:
JackGriffin wrote: EDIT: Took a look at the map in ed. Your BSP cuts are clean, the map is well done and looks very low trouble in that respect so NVM on the BSP. A partial solution to your problem is that the bots need a reason to go all the way to the teleporter zones at the dead ends. Add a health item towards the back but make it's drawscale very small (hidden). The bots don't 'see' the warpzone but they will know the health item (or ammo) is there and try to reach it. When they do they will warp to the next zone and continue on. BTW, damn nice job on the transition areas. I actually had to look in editor to find exactly where they were. I hope it plays that smooth online.
well, it does not actually play as smooth online as on PC, coz i placed way too many Fuelcores,, and they are lagging the frames... :cry: :cry: ,
but as i said, i plan to remake the whole pickup structure of the map, and then put pickups in botpath-friendly places :P the map was mostly meant for SLV play, u see. this time i want to make it for general usage.

WAIT A SEEC, isnt there some non-actor object called a "Tasty Pellet"?? that they use in RocketArena Mapping?? :idea: :idea:
JackGriffin wrote: One thing I do see is that you have vials all over. The bots are going to key towards those everywhere they see them so it may be an issue.
yes, exactly. :? thats the prob.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

AliveTillFragged wrote:
GEx wrote:@map jumpers: you mean jumppads, right? Do you use normal stock UT kickers or swjumpads? I suggest sw cuz they're much easier to use and the bots like them more :D
you mean the 'swjumppad.u' file in system folder... Hmmm.. i'll try them out if they're more friendly!! :D
Yeah, swjumppad.u I'm using them in my 1st map too :D
@RA pellets: I always wondered why were they for. Soo... Why ARE they there? :lol2: