DM-FeelNaPali (Release), Build: 1.0.536

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: DM-FeelNaPali (Release), Build: 1.0.536

Post by Creavion »

Of course the map is saved within 227, otherwise there wouldn`t be these shadows at all. All these log entries are there because of missing variables and they are all connected to these shadows you can see in this map and they are obviously not doable via rendering in the UnrealEd of UT. bUseMeshCollision takes care to render shadows based on the models polygons and its rendered textures / displayed textures (Skin or Multiskins). The variable is stored in Display (for meshes). The other stuff comes from the ZoneInfo (the very high level of shadows). Maybe UT really ignores non-existing variables but bitches around with them - if missing - like here via warnings. But there is not anything I can do about them, expect to re-render the map in UT which kills the whole atmosphere of the map (what I am not gonna doing). Obviously UT does not know these zone info entries, since the map has been rendered with 227s editor (which lost right now an other bit of its right to exist). Looks like I can not release such map ever again (well at least with these extra shadows) or you guys just ignore these warnings, since they are only warnings and not exception which somehow seem to let crash UT.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Tried the download link, gamefront says...

File not found! :(
youdontwannaknow
Novice

Post by youdontwannaknow »

Nice map but I didn't get the ultimate napali feeling because there is something missing; where is the tiki bar? ;-)
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Link aint working? Please update it, I'd like to check it out.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Done ...
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

Errors are appearing when I open the file, ''unexpected end of archive''can you please reuplaod it correctly? thanks in advance.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Isotoxin wrote:Errors are appearing when I open the file, ''unexpected end of archive''can you please reuplaod it correctly? thanks in advance.
It is split with hjsplit, because the forum has a retarded 2 MB limit for each file.
About to be non-active
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Why don't you upload it to mediafire/dropbox/someother service and post the url?
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

FILES HAVE AN UNEQUAL LENGTH.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

For those not understanding!
hjsplit3.zip
(190.32 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
-_______- no leave me alone with that kind of problems. This starts to get annnoying!
About to be non-active
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

Okay, tested it. I really don't get how you can not be statishfied about such a beauty of a map like this. As I was playing this, the question ''why i'm i actually mapping' into my mind. This is such a beatufull map, and I enjoyed playing this. Great job.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Sorry for the late response, but I promised to write something about this map, so I'll do it now. :lol:

I really dig the graphics. While not too detailed the architecture feels just right. I see it as an improvement to some former maps of yours which were described as "too crammed" by some. However, I don't get why your caves are still so cubic. The setting is pretty refreshing, too, since sunset is always nice and a temple with a somewhat jungle feeling on top of a mountain comes completely new in UT, as well.
A special eyecandy is the great use of shadows imported from UED 2.1. Hats off! In consequence, the overall lighting shines, whereas there are some surfaces which aren't lit correctly. Especially the statue is victim of the lighting goblin. I suggest: When every lighting trick fails, colour the original texture in the wanted colour and use the new texture unlitly instead. After a few trials I got a quite satisfying result with the statue:
LittleDifference.png
This trick should help you to have less problems with lighting next time - and save time and nerves.

As to the gameplay: I had some entertaining matches in your map. Factors for that are the straightforward floor plan (arena-like while not being an arena), the easy access to ammo and weapons, one of UT's best tracks (although I'm unsure if this really fits here) and the working bot pathing. I don't see the plants as disturbing as they are a) only placed on the lower passages, b) most of them are flat enough to encounter enemies and c) if there are some plants that really hide you (which there is only spot that affects gameplay) they serve their purpose best in an online match.
There are two things I want to point, though: In my opinion there are too many weapons for this size of the map. I would've chosen 4 to 6 instead of placing all 8 in the map. In that way you guarantee a special kind of gameplay which will partly stand out to other maps. Of course, it won't change gameplay majorly, and surely there are maps that would use exactly the same choice of weapons, but it would give a little extra to the gameplay. And it won't hurt the map, e.g. the sniper is in yours ineffective, anyway.
The other thing is the slightly unfair position of pickups in general. What I mean is: Look at the position of the armor and then to the placement of the thigh pads on the vine/branch. Which one absorbs more damage and which one is easier to get? Furthermore, the place where the two rocket packs are (0 and 1) could have spend a weapon more likely as it can be only accessed from above. Additionally, I would've liked to see an item around AmbientSound7, which is a place dangerously to go and difficult to figure out if there spawns an item. I like the placement of the jump boots. If they granted access to a special platform or just another advantage, it would explain the devious route you have to take...Do you get what I mean? In my opinion, the price-performance ratio simply doesn't add up.

All in all, I enjoyed my time playing the map and "felt Na Pali".

But what I certainly didn't enjoy was getting this map to start. Why the hell do you require hjsplit to save the map? What's the purpose of duplicating the time to install the file? If you make it this inconvenient, there's no wonder when people won't download this map. And even if you wrote the requirement in your thread I would add it in the readme file as well; I for one didn't notice your hint in the first place and I had to look back in your thread if there was an order how to install the map.

I hope my little review is still apreciated.

P.S. I chuckled at your little easter egg. :lol2:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

Map is very good. I think I should say my two cents.

1) Sniper rifle is not in a good place; actually all the pickups are a little odd.
2) The invisible collision hull is too near the arena, you should enlarge it a little. I mean the one where you should fall: I think I should be able at least to go on the little wall, or perhaps I should be able to even fall!
3) I played a duel and triple threat match, I enjoyed it (with bots, ofc).
4) Very Unreal 1 feel, like the old maps.

72/100 as of now. If the first two points are corrected, then it would be a 80/100.

GZ

EDIT: to the man above me, he makes the map this way because the forum max size is very low.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Well, I try to explain the strange weapon placement:

Shock Rifle: Placed near the entry of a cramped area and open space.
Pulse Gun: Simply placed on a higher area.
Flak Cannon: Powerful weapon, it should be a risk to get it.
Sniper Rifle: I thought placing the sniper on top of the map would give the player a too huge advantage so I placed it where it does not make that much sense for most.
Ripper: Like Sniper, only other way around.
Bio Rifle: Since you can spam an area greatly with the secondary fire mode I placed it on top of that area. Since the way is longer I also placed boots close-by.
Minigun: Leftover weapon for the "not main area".
Rocket Launcher: Also like the Flak a very powerful weapon. By placing it in the main area it would have turned out too easy to get it.

How did you "calculate" the score? Gut instinct or have I missed something?

----
Caves: Lost nearly motivation at the end. I onced built a more detailed cave but I had to simply it because of some bugs of which I could not get rid of. The way how I build the map - based mostly on solids - was not helpful either.

Wrong lit surfaces: I tried for around 2 weeks, until I had enough and simply accepted it. The engine is not really suitable for outdoor maps, specially not if you try to light it that way.

Fake texture: No. Dont like such technique. My goal was to use only retail textures - ok skybox excluded.

Attachments: Well, 2 MB for each file. Not my fault. I screwed up the filefront upload somehow, so I uploaded here instead, since the map is rather small. Do you really need to get upset about something trivial like that? With a rather filesize I would not have do something like that.

BTW: people complain a lot. Some stuff also wont get downloaded because the filesize is too big. You remember Revelations release thread and the twist with Myth?
About to be non-active
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

That's my personal score, gut instinct.

I would remove some weapons, map is small size, it doesn't need a lot of weapons. Imo, Rocket Launcher and Shock Rifle are too near each other: since these weapons are one of the Big Three (Shock, RL and Sniper), I'd make them as far as possible (each one at a corner, maybe?). I'd remove the Minigun or the Flak Cannon.

Just opinions man, keep up the good work!