Noob Walls

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Vankuss
Experienced

Noob Walls

Post by Vankuss »

After ten years of playing this game, I opened the UnrealED, lol.
I'm reading a lot of tutorials on the "first room" etc. etc. I want to make a simple arena map, nothing fancy, just for practice and training.
I ended up with this result (see bottom). Now, what if I want to add a fence, or a wall, to make people not fall?
:noidea:
I tried to make intersect/disintersect cubes, but it affects also the things on the arena...

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Noob Walls

Post by papercoffee »

can we see the unlight version of your map...

You make the "walls" like you build those obstacles with the light emitter on top.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

papercoffee wrote:You make the "walls" like you build those obstacles with the light emitter on top.
Yup, didn't think of that.
Also, other two quick questions:
1) is there a way to see brush' size? Like I already created a cube, I want to see which Height it was. I know it's already when I click with the right on the Cube button, but what if I want to check the properties of an older cube?
2) how to delete or modify a cube already "subtracted" to the world?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

depends on the use of the subtracted cube ... if it is the first cube where you made your sky-box you have to set the build order "to first" of this cube otherwise all afterwards added brushes will disappear.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

based on your questons, i'd say the best thing you can do is work through some beginners tutorials on ut editing. There are very many available on the web.

They usually demonstrate the basic principles of addative and subtractive geometry, use of textures, basic lighting and basic bot-pathing. Usually the main properties of brushes and actors are described as well. Once you are comfortable with building a basic functioning "room" then you can do more advanced tutorials, which add to your understanding of level design using UE. Then once you can manage the workflow properly you can get creative.

Many people make the mistake of trying to build and release a map before they know what they are doing and the result is usually a crappy map.

Spend some time up front learning how to do it and you results will be better - guaranteed.
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

FraGnBraG wrote:based on your questons, i'd say the best thing you can do is work through some beginners tutorials on ut editing. There are very many available on the web.

They usually demonstrate the basic principles of addative and subtractive geometry, use of textures, basic lighting and basic bot-pathing. Usually the main properties of brushes and actors are described as well. Once you are comfortable with building a basic functioning "room" then you can do more advanced tutorials, which add to your understanding of level design using UE. Then once you can manage the workflow properly you can get creative.

Many people make the mistake of trying to build and release a map before they know what they are doing and the result is usually a crappy map.

Spend some time up front learning how to do it and you results will be better - guaranteed.
Thanks for the tip master. I'm not trying to be one of the master mapper, I just want to learn how this thing works.
For sure, I'll keep reading tutorials (there are some from 1999, lol, old school style :D). If I have other questions, I'll ask you guys.

:loool:

EDIT: Oh God, only now I recognized your name. I think I have *all* of your maps.
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

If you're going for simplicity, maybe try some sheets using a nice glass texture from GenIn, and put some blockall actors where those sheets are.
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Adding a fence shoudn't be that hard..., first off all : Find a fence texture.. (For example in the HourIndusX_UT package is one available.) After finding one, Create yourself a sheet brush in the prefered seize. Now look up for the ''add special'' button, which looks like this : Image

A little menu will pop up, and look up for the 'masked decoration' option, hit this and click ''ok'' afterwards. This will be the visible part of the fence. As it's a sheet brush, can just run though it, this can be fixed with either another brush, or the ''BlockAll', actor. I do prefer adding another brush. Make a cube equal to the sheet brush (Don't make it to tick, just about 8. ) and hit the ''add special'' again, now, choose the ''invisible colision hull'' option - This will auto make the brush you just added invible and solid. Well thats all, also, don't place the second brush though the sheet-brush, this could cause possible bugs. Either add it infront or behind the sheet.

Hope this works for you, feel free to send a pm for further help.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

Thanks for the reply Isotoxin, but I already found three, four way to do that! And yours is simply the best one.

:)
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

If you want to learn level design for real, I would nearly say, do not stick with UED only alone.
For a start and some general practise in terms of level design it is OK (no matter which UnrealEd you take), but at some point you still be stuck in progress.
Several years ago it surely was possible to learn UEd only to impress people and to archive something (like DavidM did in his best years) but nowadays things look different.

3D Modeling and image editing programs are required - in specially modern game engines, without them you are rather screwed or you can only build your levels like a puzzle based on existing content (static meshes for most).

While with UT you has a lot of "freedom" in what you want to do, however you are also very limited by technical limitations, which means at the end you do not have the freedom you would like to have. But: You also do not need other software to learn at all costs. Modern game engines have a "Future", people might acknowledge your work but on the other side the input for your map is greatly increased (once again, this applies if you are NOT ok with the default content only) by requiring skills and knowledge from other additional software applications.

I am telling you only to let you know in advance the way how you realize a map in UT has no future left (consider UT is old as shit). Overall the old Unreal Engine 1 is rather special to me, since most other always required other software from the beginning on. So if you only want to build some simple test maps and do not consider to immerse yourself in the material, you can ignore my post of course.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

Creavion wrote:So if you only want to build some simple test maps and do not consider to immerse yourself in the material, you can ignore my post of course.
I'm not immersing myself, but I'll not ignore your post, Crev ;)
I know what you meant: UT is the past, new games are the future... things work this way, sadly.

DavidM was a legend back in the days.
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

Also the best way to make a map is draw some sort of blueprint of what you want first. You can also start with just subtracted cubes in a pattern, but all joined together. That way you don't need to add walls they are already there. Or you could set the properties of the cube builder to hollow so that when you add to your subtracted sky you already have walls and just set the surface properties to transluscent or invisible on walls that you want to see the sky on. (or build a skybox with a skyzoneinfo actor in it, subtract a cube for the room and set one wall to fakebackdrop