How do you place all together?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Vankuss
Experienced

How do you place all together?

Post by Vankuss »

Ok, Unreal Ed is a very risky editor and it crashed a lot of times. By the way I'm not an expert mapper, I'm not even a mapper lol, but I'll ask you anyway.
I have made a little tower and saved it as Tower.unr. Fact is: I made also other things like Platform.unr etc. etc.

My idea was, after finished all the pieces, placing them together like a puzzle. But... but...
I know that you can save the brushes, but is there a way to import all the content of a map (let's say I want to place the tower in Tower.unr in the platform in Platform.unr) in another one? I mean also the lift in the tower, the decorations in the platforms, etc.

Bye and thanks to all the guys who still keep UT alive. Community > Epic Games.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: How do you place all together?

Post by Creavion »

Open map 1: Select ANY actor via right click -> "Select All", CTRL + C
open map 2: CTRL + V

Maybe not the quickest way, however the easiest one to explain.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

So there are two parts: first importing all the polygons and brushes etc. THEN the actors...
Thanks, I'll try it once at home :)
Rigel
Novice

Post by Rigel »

Don't rly know why, but for me at least, copy+pasting is usually a hit and miss deal. sometimes things get copied, other times they don't (or they get copied incorrectly) . maybe there are some things to consider, but i'd advise you to rebuild, transform and copy small bits of your map. copying many brushes never worked for me
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Rigel wrote:Don't rly know why, but for me at least, copy+pasting is usually a hit and miss deal. sometimes things get copied, other times they don't (or they get copied incorrectly) . maybe there are some things to consider, but i'd advise you to rebuild, transform and copy small bits of your map. copying many brushes never worked for me
Actors which can not be copied are usually those who collide with the bsp world.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

Rigel wrote:Don't rly know why, but for me at least, copy+pasting is usually a hit and miss deal. sometimes things get copied, other times they don't (or they get copied incorrectly) . maybe there are some things to consider, but i'd advise you to rebuild, transform and copy small bits of your map. copying many brushes never worked for me
You cant successfully copy/paste from one running UED window into another if the same assets aren't loaded in both instances (textures, etc.)
You have to open a map, copy what you need, then (in the same window/session) open your map and paste.
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

Ya copy paste is really risky. But if for nothing else so you can get tower into platform....

Open two UnrealEditors.
open the map your going to copy FROM in the first editor, then in that same editor with (for example) tower.unr loaded do file->open and open platform.unr.
In editor #2 open tower.unr. either click on the map to deselect all and click on the button on the left that says invert selection (ued2.0 no longer has select all) MAKING SURE TO HOLD CONTROL KEY AND UNSELECT THE CAMERA (looks like an eye) AND THE BUILD BRUSH (red cube or whatever shape the last brush you added was...color red not pink).
Then do edit copy go back to the first editor that had tower loaded but now has the resources from tower and is now platform and do edit paste (or ctrl-c ctrl-v).

OR you can hold down ctrl and alt and use the left mouse button to drag a square around what you want to select and copy. then edit copy and paste.

But I would HIGHLY suggest immediately doing ALL the map in the same file after you copy and paste these two together.
I made 2 maps with the copy paste method...
I thought it would be easier to test and build separately.
It is MUCH better to put lots of playerstarts in and then delete them afterwords. Plus you can use teleports or warpzones to link parts of the map that are far away from each other (easier to see all of the room your building when it is away from another room).
You can also build a whole room with a player start in it away from your first room and then do alt ctrl and left mouse drag to select the finished room and move it in place with the first.

One map I made with copy and paste was fine.
One map almost was trash, and I needed a lot of peoples help to get it to actually be playable. And MyLevel package is now F^%$#ked if you try and see what textures are in mylevel it crashes the editor to the desktop.

So do not do the parts of a map in a new file then copy/paste you might end up with trash after months of work on something.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Just in case, in the UED you want to use, open all the maps in the editor first and close each one "new map".

Then all those files each map used will be ready and open to paste from a second open editor.

but when you paste the stuff it will not be placed where you want it, so just move things right after it is pasted, then combine at will later.

The post above read that as well.
Binary Space Partitioning