Fun Map Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Fun Map Contest

Post by Red_Fist »

Creavion wrote:I have no idea about the current popularity of MH and the demand of new maps.

Everyone keeps playing the old ones, then use mutators.
Binary Space Partitioning
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

SP = single player
unrealSP has mods so you can play singleplayer for UT99 (like unreal2 battle monsters and save the world kind of thing)

What about just making a map that could maybe be played a number of ways.

Like I used to play dm-kgalleon with flags I put on it and rebuilt so that I could make it ctf but with low grav you could also make that map into a dom map.
You could even duplicate it a few times put a bunch of ships in the same big room and make it MH.

So make a map that could conceivably have one team at one end and another team at the opposite end (ctf or dom or even assault), or you could start at one end and the objective giant monster could be at the other (MH), or it's a really big DM map, or slap some dom things in and it's a domination map.
Obviously you would have to add things to the core to make each gametype but I think it might be fun.
So best multi purpose map?
A rehash red_fist said what about a compilation map contest any 3 maps and make them into (gametype) or pick 3 specific maps that you can only use parts from and set that as the contest.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Red_Fist wrote:
Creavion wrote:I have no idea about the current popularity of MH and the demand of new maps.

Everyone keeps playing the old ones, then use mutators.
Good, sounds like a honest answer. Then I dont need to waste my time. :roll:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Not so fast, they play the old ones cuz there aint a good amount of new ones, like godz return version 87,000,000
Binary Space Partitioning
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

ASLYE702 wrote:
FraGnBraG wrote:where are you ASLYE702?

this thread's going all over the place! :what:
I'm here! :mrgreen: Whats up now?!
What about the rules? What will happen now?
since you are the OP, and suggested a contest, then you should be the "manager". unless you don't want to be, in which case you better say something! someone has to step up then. So you decide on the rules, start a new thread for the contest, in the first post make the rules clear, and set a time frame. start date and end date, and how it will be judged (vote or judges) and you have to set that up. One or two months is usually good. For example, an xmas comp would be december 25th, or halloween would be october 31, etc. but that's up to you. I think there's enough suggestions about what we could all make, you could even do a poll to see which idea most mappers like and go with that... Once you have the thread, then others will likely join in. I always noticed SP mappers pop into contests, which is cool, because i think they like making the occational MP map just for a diversion from their own projects, to blow off some steam, lol! SP mappers' dm or ctf maps were always the most interesting ones to me, because they usually look damn good :) Anyways, better get the ball rolling :rock:
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

if this will be a 300k map contest . I will join it. I made a map for the contest once and It was much fun, and also not really time consuming like normal map making.
Charlo
Novice

Post by Charlo »

Rakiayn wrote:if this will be a 300k map contest . I will join it. I made a map for the contest once and It was much fun, and also not really time consuming like normal map making.
I agree. I'm not a prolific or skilled mapper, so 300k levels the playing field a bit. The space requirement is so strict that the maps usually get judged on gameplay alone, not the beautiful decorations or intricate layouts that I am incapable of. :tongue: I took part in a few at UnrealPlayground.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Cool, but I have some question
What time start the 300k contest? Next week or the next month?
And what files use the mappers? Everyone same texture, or a particular texture pack?
Who joining to the contest please reply! :wink:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

ASLYE702 wrote:Cool, but I have some question
What time start the 300k contest? Next week or the next month?
And what files use the mappers? Everyone same texture, or a particular texture pack?
Who joining to the contest please reply! :wink:
I thought you planed everything, well, how about:
START: 1st of November
END: 1st of December
RULES: No custom stuff (except myleveled textures), Bonus Pack textures allowed, deleting brushes NOT allowed, map MUST BE 300kb or less.
GAMETYPES: DM, DOM, CTF, AS.

That OK to everyone?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

if you do 300k there will be very few mappers participating... most of the guys who commented earlier I know would not bother with 300k ... also if 300k then anything in mylevel will kill the filesize limit - trust me, i know this :) you can't afford even a 256x256 2 color screenshot image, lol!

I think 300k is really more of a Blito3 thing, from the Unreal Playground days... no need to repeat that any more. If a size limit I would suggest 1Meg.
Many product maps are less than 1000 K (like Face, Face2 etc = 900K or so...). That's plenty for a gameplay map, but will limit details. Any game type means if DM or DOM then maximizes your detail, if CTF then a good layout needed but less overall details... Any textures - if you custom mylevel then you're screwing yourself on brush-counts, etc. I think this sort of thing is better than 300k...

it could still be pretty challenging with a brush limit (rather than size limit) or even a world-poly/node limit, for example map can not exceed 500 brushes, or map can not exceed 10000 world nodes, or something like that.

I was in a UP map contest once where the PPV had to be 400 polys or less - if you went over anywhere in the map (during gameplay) you were busted :) I was busted of course, but you still got some really nice maps in that contest that ran well on servers.

You could also try a theme contest, with no size limits -

theme suggestions:

xmas, or winter/frozen
jungle, desert, mountain
undersea, ocean
space, spaceship
castle or fortress
apartment / bedroom / kitchen / bathroom / backyard / shed / school / office (mini me)

Anyways, if the rules allow for a bit of freedom and something other than size to focus on
then for sure SP mappers will join in and I think that's really cool and it will still be a challenge ...

This is just my opinion :)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
TARZANFROMJUNGLE
Novice

Post by TARZANFROMJUNGLE »

What happened to the destroyed/flooded/neglected versions of a map-contest? :)

Also, a theme contest might be fun yeah!

So agree upon:
- Theme (Outside or canyon, cities or villages, christmas, halloween or ghosty atmospheres, AMERICA, destroyedversions, industrial revolution, futuristic maps, or even existing maps with a future version of it. What would it look like in x years?)
- Textures: freedom in texture usage?
- Brush Limit (I'm not sure about this one, since I've never done anything like this before, so I trust Frag on this if he says a limit may be more fun). My opinion is, the more constraints or limits, the less people would join, but again I don't know if thats right ;)
- Startdate and enddate (Christmas enddate? Before an overall agreement is reached.. ;) )
- Gametype: free?
I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

The thing about these kind of threads, is that everybody has a completely different opinion :pfff: . I think a pole would have been better.
OK, forget filesize or poly limit contests, they've been used lots of times already...
I don't thing a specific gametype contest won't work eigher, because some (like meself) strugle with some of them.
I think we need something new, something not so strict, yet still have some rules.
A Theme design contest, for example, would be good, as well as floorplan challenges.

My vote still goes to a wreckage contest though. :mrgreen:
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

I still think that the contests should have a zip file with sounds and textures (music and scripts of any type should be allowed?)

Then all the participants would have the same textures and sounds...
then maybe a brush limit or maybe a size limit (although my vote goes to brush limit)
but if it is size limit...at least there wouldn't be any mylevel sounds/textures (which would raise the size) BUT high quality screenshot (or low quality) should not be counted in the size.

I like the idea of making whatever gametype you want...that will get a lot more mappers interested.

And theme maps of a bunch of gametypes would be cool...although that might make voting hard unless it was best map of...and the gametypes had one winner from each.

edit: lol and yes to timeframe obviously....from here to there...entry must be posted by (date)
Rakiayn
Masterful

Post by Rakiayn »

how about a contest where you choose a stock map and completly change the theme.
for example:

- a castle like deck 16
- a futuristc curse

ofcourse some layout changes could be approved. but nothing to drastic
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

We all have different ideas and we all want to do different things.
How about a "Whatever the Hell you Want" contest?
Just stick the deadline at Christmas and we'll release it as a gift to the community.
The only guideline is that you have to post it in "layout" form before decorating so that community members can critique its play-ability and make suggestions.

Then we'll hold a group vote and host a game on the communities favorite entry. (Because maps are meant to be PLAYED)
The creator of the map AND winner of that match will receive a prize.

I'm willing to put up the prize.
Any 1 game of your choice on Steam. (less than $30)

Any takers?