Fun Map Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
ASLY

Fun Map Contest

Post by ASLY »

I mean would be fun a map contest, but...
Every mapper using same textures, sounds, meshes
What do you think of this idea? :)
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Re: Fun Map Contest

Post by FraGnBraG »

i always liked the contests at unreal playground, for example, like the blito 300k contests or the TDC or LowPoly etc. Those events were a lot of fun because of the rules and short timeframe. A mapper would have to work really hard to make a good layout or do something cool map with so little brushes and lights etc. Some of those maps were quite good gameplay maps and even looked good - made by all kinds of mappers because it was a level playing field where the skill was doing a lot with a little, not a lot with a lot (if that makes any sense, lol).
If folks would like to have a contest for theme or something I would do a map for sure, as long as the contest has rules and a short timeframe:)
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
QuillioN
Experienced

Post by QuillioN »

I seem to remember a contest that involved using a alphabet letter for layout, and having to make the map within that letter...i think X won it . but yeah, a nice small contest would be fun:)
In a world of billions, why are there people still alone?
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Cool, then we're three together?
We should a judge...
And my idea is for file using is only Botpack package and Liquids.utx (Im interested who what weird map prepare with this textures)
Sound: AmbModern, and the decoration is the standard :D
File size 300KB?
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

lol, well maybe see if others will join - 3 mappers does not a contest make, really .... i would think not 300k, but maybe something like 1000 brushes max, and dm only, this way a map can be good for 2-4 players with a good amount of detail but no crazy, so the map would be good for online play...
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I could be the judge... Or a contestant :mrgreen:
My contest suggestion: 3-way CTF maps (as in for 3 teams). I only know 2 ctf3 maps, so why not make some more :lol2: (for those that don't know this, you can play these just like regular ctf4/ctfm maps)
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

well, botpack and liquids only sounds a bit sick to me :)
also, 300k data size can be a little too low even for funmaps.
On the other hand, 1000 brushes are quite much for a small map.
QuillioN
Experienced

Post by QuillioN »

I have to agree with frag, a lot more mappers needed and 300k for todays mapping is a killer:P (would be for me) i like the idea of only allowing certain packages and the 1000 brush limit.
In a world of billions, why are there people still alone?
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

FraGnBraG wrote:lol, well maybe see if others will join - 3 mappers does not a contest make, really .... i would think not 300k, but maybe something like 1000 brushes max, and dm only, this way a map can be good for 2-4 players with a good amount of detail but no crazy, so the map would be good for online play...
Yeah, thats sounds good!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

hmm, botpack kinda sucks, actually - a lot of them are too small anyways... what about just "stock" ut99 textures, including tex from the epic bonus packs? that's plenty and still would be a challenge to get a mapper to use these old tex in new ways (instead of MyLevel custom textures) maybe have a rule where you must include a liquid of some sort? so then you could have a maps like a terrain river, an underwater base, a sewage station, a swamp, a volcano, a boat, a bathtub, or even a toilet, lol! The 1000 brushes limit is good because it's kinda hard to get in trouble with bsp in a map that's less than 1000, so done right it should run well on a server... maybe any gametype - i was just thinking small DM with good details, a small 3vs3 or 4vs4 ctf would have to be a "style" type map, since imo 500 brushes per base (less if you have a middle) means nothing too fancy... these can still look good, but need a top-notch layout to stand out (that's good challenge maybe)... I don't know, but what can you do in BT with 1000 brushes? I supposed movers will count as well...

Just some thoughts...
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Actually I wanted to organize a jungle mapping contest where I would have taken care of the vegetation, trees and stuff (which I would have made from existing Unreal 1 stock texture content). Anything else could have made only from stock UT content. No complete or even playable map would have been required but rather only something to look around.
However it was not really thought-out, since I couldn`t know who would be behind which map/scenario until the end. I wanted to avoid possible personal feelings and stuff against people, both negative and postive...
I saw with past contests what can happen and where well-known people are already the winner in advance. Definitely not fair at all. Anyway: Some of my buddies told me that it is nowadays nearly impossible to do something like that anymore. To less mappers are left and without possible price it is not really attracting.
I would not be interested anyway: Jesus christ, I hate this 300 KB BS ... seriously, specially since I usually dont use stock content but rather quickly-fileincreasing custom textures. But I am curious to see if something can happen here.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

Creavion wrote:Actually I wanted to organize a jungle mapping contest where I would have taken care of the vegetation, trees and stuff (which I would have made from existing Unreal 1 stock texture content). Anything else could have made only from stock UT content. No complete or even playable map would have been required but rather only something to look around.
However it was not really thought-out, since I couldn`t know who would be behind which map/scenario until the end. I wanted to avoid possible personal feelings and stuff against people, both negative and postive...
I saw with past contests what can happen and where well-known people are already the winner in advance. Definitely not fair at all. Anyway: Some of my buddies told me that it is nowadays nearly impossible to do something like that anymore. To less mappers are left and without possible price it is not really attracting.
I would not be interested anyway: Jesus christ, I hate this 300 KB BS ... seriously, specially since I usually dont use stock content but rather quickly-fileincreasing custom textures. But I am curious to see if something can happen here.
definetly a good idea.
It would be great if you collected and organized not only the u1 stuff, but most avaliable vegetation and jungle stuff (provided their authors permit to do that) into one big pack, and then release it. Then there should be a nice contest on this theme.
Actualy, i made some foliage for my last project, huge banana and palm-style leafs, veins, and a few flower. I would be happy if you included them (one can rip them from DM-Spillway_XXL)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I would rather have something for singleplayer maps using oldskool and stock content in UT.It could be for contest mode, say you need to use 20 of each pawn.That would be enough shooting and keep each map the same amount of shooting.

Or a total of 100 stock pawns of your choice, if you wanted to do 100 titans I don't think you will get a good grade LoL
I just kinda think we have enough DM or CTF maps in the world.
Binary Space Partitioning
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

SzGergo wrote:
Creavion wrote:Actually I wanted to organize a jungle mapping contest where I would have taken care of the vegetation, trees and stuff (which I would have made from existing Unreal 1 stock texture content). Anything else could have made only from stock UT content. No complete or even playable map would have been required but rather only something to look around.
definetly a good idea.
It would be great if you collected and organized not only the u1 stuff, but most avaliable vegetation and jungle stuff (provided their authors permit to do that) into one big pack, and then release it. Then there should be a nice contest on this theme.
Actualy, i made some foliage for my last project, huge banana and palm-style leafs, veins, and a few flower. I would be happy if you included them (one can rip them from DM-Spillway_XXL)
I would have made the foilage ONLY with UnrealShare textures, really no custom textures. But I dont exactly know what you mean with "permit"? I would have done it by myself, so no need to ask anybody at all. You would wonder what you still can do with the UnrealShare stuff. I dont take stuff from other modders anyway. But I dont have any inducement for winning such contest.

The demand for single player is rather low (unless you are able to pull out a complete total conversation instead of a 08/15 sp map), the amount of work high if you want to do it half-way right at least. A good compromise could be Monsterhunt IMO.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

i see. vegetation textures of the unrealshare are pretty oldschool :)

then i was just wondering that a bigger collection of custom foliage would be fun to have (irrespectively of contest).